What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F Yeah!!!

CycloneSteve

Juniors
Hopefully we will see him next week and there are no further problems with his past neck injury. Gutsy effort in the end I think. Kidley nearly f***ed things up when he kicked that grubber through on the 3rd tackle. They almost scored from it....eeeeek.

Ben

Bench
Great to hear that Joey is pretty much cleared of any serious injury. Great performance by the boys in the second half. Although the first half was disappointing, there is no questions who go the boys over the line in the second half. Brian Smith must've spoken some words of wisdom which is something Hagan could never have done.

The only problem coming out of the game is that my voice hurts. But its great to have the foot back isnt it. And i can't help but laugh at Trent Cutler or whoever that was who coughed the ball up with no-one in front of him.

Burwood

Bench
I don't think we'll see him back before Buderus in round 4. If it is a heavy case of concussion they'll give him at least 2 weeks off.

League_God said:
dont be negative, we lost the best player in the world 4 mins into the game, we had no where near a full strength side for me. Bulldogs despite sonny, had a full strength side other then utai. we played great, considering we werent prepared at all for losing the best player ever to play the game. Our forwards stepped up big time so did our outside backs.

Right side backs went well.
Left side (George & Doogs) looked like they need to work out a few issues....
Like how to stay out of each others way!

Burwood

Bench
Kidley should be kept as far away from the playmaking role as possible. I can not overstate that enough! He looked dangerous running with the ball, but he made too many stupid decisions with kicks etc. I still can't believe that neither Mullen or Kidley managed to spread the ball wide in the entire game. I thought they would have attacked Canterbury through MacDougall etc, but they just couldn't get on the outside of their man. We are very lucky that the likes of Simpson and Tolar had strong games.

cram

Bench
I agree that the first half was very ordinary but as CWB says don't discount the Johns factor.

His injury and subseqent removal from the field resulted in the team needing to readjust their game and that took 20 minutes and 24 points.

After half time they cut the errors out of their game and changed the style of their play. They realised that around the ruck was where the gaps were and used the extra man to their advantage.

The Bulldogs had every chance and every right to win the game going into half time 16 points in front.

Gidley played well but had a few brain snaps in the last five minutes but in my opionion you can put that down to experience as a leader. He has never been encouraged to think for himself and needs to learn how to do it...he took a step in the right direction today.

The Knights of old would have conceded that game, they didnt. For the first time in a long time I feel as if we are preparing for life without Johns.

the first half was like schollboys playing men..but you can expect that after training for months with johns /mullen as halves..B smith must have been champing at the bit to get to his players at half time..But i am very impressed with his second half game plan..running the lil men at then worked a treat..congratulations Brian.....
Damn it was goodto be yelling.."go doogs!"..i watched him closely and i thought he could have got imvoved a lot more but play would be sent away from him when he was half a chance on the short side..but might take him a while..Very good tuff grinding win that..welll the dogs split us open at the end..goood an dlucky win also..

BG

Juniors
Burwood said:
I still can't believe that neither Mullen or Kidley managed to spread the ball wide in the entire game.

I've never seen a Brian Smith team spread the ball early in the season. Even just looking back at 2005, for the first month or so it was rare to see it go further than one off the Eels' ruck. But by the end of the season proper not only had they secured the minor premiership, they ended up as the team with the most long range tries for the season.

Having said that, I think in this particular game, losing Joey so early clearly threw the team into disarray. And that's only understandable.

The most heartstopping moment of that game, besides joey getting injured was when the bulldogs made that break at the end. Thank god number 14 fumbled it..

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Absolutely gutsy effort from the boys. Played disgraceful in the first half, but some of that can be attributed to as others have said, the "reshuffle factor" and coming to terms with the fact Joey was gone. Also on top of that, after Joey went off, it seemed like the Dogs had the ball for about 8-10 consecutive sets. When a team has as much ball as it appeared the Dogs had, its difficult to hold them out regardless of whether they're a man down or not.

I must say this though:
The Hagan coached Knights would have turned it up and put it in the "too hard basket" at halftime. The Smith coached Knights decided they could win and did so without Joey.

On the subject of Johns, he won't play next week. Kidley to five-eight, Mullen to halfback, Polglase to fullback and Brown on the bench.

Burwood

Bench
BG said:
I've never seen a Brian Smith team spread the ball early in the season. Even just looking back at 2005, for the first month or so it was rare to see it go further than one off the Eels' ruck. But by the end of the season proper not only had they secured the minor premiership, they ended up as the team with the most long range tries for the season.

Having said that, I think in this particular game, losing Joey so early clearly threw the team into disarray. And that's only understandable.

I'm not sure how many times Smith has had to play against a 12 man side in the opening rounds. If a team is down a player it makes sense to make better use of the situation and spread the ball- not continually hit it up the middle.

Burwood

Bench
Jobdog said:
On the subject of Johns, he won't play next week. Kidley to five-eight, Mullen to halfback, Polglase to fullback and Brown on the bench.

Still no Thaiday? Though I must say, I was very impressed by Polglase and would love to see him stay at Fullback until both Johns and Buderus are back in the side to tighten up our defensive structure.

Frederick

Staff member
I wonder what kind of excuses and defenses for SBW will be trotted out on The Kennell :lol:

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Burwood said:
Still no Thaiday? Though I must say, I was very impressed by Polglase and would love to see him stay at Fullback until both Johns and Buderus are back in the side to tighten up our defensive structure.
No, I thought he was average in PL today. Was a turnstyle in defence on one occasion which led directly to a Dogs try. In a few weeks he'll be ready, but not just yet. I've got a lot of time for Polglase

Burwood

Bench
Captain_Fred said:
I wonder what kind of excuses and defenses for SBW will be trotted out on The Kennell :lol:

IMHO it wasn't a send off offence. Probably see him back for round 4 or 5.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Captain_Fred said:
Excuse #1 - "He's not that sort of player"
Excuse #2 - "It's not in his game"
Excuse #3 - "Johns is soft and went out to get him sent off"
Excuse #4 - "Archer is blind"

Burwood

Bench
Jobdog said:
No, I thought he was average in PL today. Was a turnstyle in defence on one occasion which led directly to a Dogs try. In a few weeks he'll be ready, but not just yet. I've got a lot of time for Polglase

Who were the stars in the 38-18 win? I think Newton, Tighe and White will get one more chance to impress before getting dropped back to PL.

Latest posts