What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Falau's disloyalty on Grand Final eve

Misty Bee

First Grade
God-King Dean said:
IMO it's entirely up to the player who he wants to play for. If you've spent most of your life in NSW, go play in QLD & decide you wanna play for them, you weren't much of a New South Welshman in the first place.

Back we go to Interstate RL pre 1980. Where's Senator Ron?

nqboy

First Grade
God-King Dean said:
IMO it's entirely up to the player who he wants to play for. If you've spent most of your life in NSW, go play in QLD & decide you wanna play for them, you weren't much of a New South Welshman in the first place.
But a hell of a Queenslander :D

nqboy

First Grade
1999 said:
im ready to lose folau to someone else at the end of 2008 either it be the nrl, union or mormon mission, either way i doubt he'll stay in melbourne, ill cross that bridge when it happens but at the moment he's in the storm's gf line up and he'll be at the storm in 2008, go israel!
Tahu gave him a bath last week but I don't see anyone similarly talented in the Manly side.

Grail

Juniors
Garts said:
We are not talking about his playing toughness. I just dont get the homesickness thing personally.

It has nothing to do with being tough or not. Get a grip (or maybe in your case, release it - you'll cut off the circulation). Some people like to be with the ones they love. Is that a problem? And Melbourne is a hole, so I don't blame him feeling like leaving at some stage soon.

effnic

Bench
Cant believe a thread on a player with homesickness and 48 posts still no sign of Lyon being mentioned. Weird. What has happened to the fire parra fans. FIRE UP!!!!!

realredhillboy

Juniors
effnic said:
Cant believe a thread on a player with homesickness and 48 posts still no sign of Lyon being mentioned. Weird. What has happened to the fire parra fans. FIRE UP!!!!!
yeah apparently lyon was homesick and couldn't handle the city life, then goes thousands of miles away to england and then joins manly in the rural northern beaches:lol:

nqboy

First Grade
LINK
Stathi Paxinos | September 28, 2007

MELBOURNE Storm chief executive Brian Waldron yesterday fended off claims that star rookie Israel Folau was homesick and wanted to return to family in Brisbane.

In what is developing into a rocky preparation for Sunday's National Rugby League grand final against Manly at Telstra Stadium — a day earlier, the Storm launched a counterattack after claims that its wrestling techniques were illegal and dangerous — Melbourne again was on the defensive, this time over a newspaper report that said Folau wanted to return to Brisbane to be closer to his family, a shift that could result in him linking with the Broncos.

Waldron said the 18-year-old, who is contracted to the end of next season and is considering whether to complete a two-year Mormon mission when the contract expires, had given no indication of being homesick. He said he was confident Folau would remain with the Storm but there would not be contract talks for some time.

Earlier in the day, at the NRL grand final breakfast, Storm coach Craig Bellamy revealed why Folau had been subject to a media ban for most of the year. "He's off-limits to the media because he wants to be," Bellamy said. "I had on a bit of a ban at the start of the year for six or eight weeks just to let him get his head around being an NRL player. So that was my doing, but after about a month of letting him off the ban, he decided he liked it the other way. "He's quite a shy kid and he just thought in that month he did make himself available that he told them enough about himself. He's more comfortable preparing without having to talk to the press."

The Storm yesterday trained at Kogarah Oval with its inaugural and 1999 premiership-winning coach Chris Anderson, club legend Marcus Bai and Australian coach Ricky Stuart watching. Bellamy said injured prop Ben Cross had earned the right to have every chance to prove his fitness for the final and he would have a say in whether he was fit enough to last the game. "It's just one of those things that is a time thing … but at the end of the day, he'll have a fair say in it because I'm really confident that they know if they can play or not," Bellamy said. "He's been an important part of our team for two years, so he deserves to be playing in the grand final. So we'll give him every chance. If he can get through the one game and he needs four weeks to recover, then we will play him but if (medical staff) think there is a real chance he will break down in the first 10 minutes, then we'll probably not take that chance." Cross tested his hamstring with a 20-minute running session.

Manly coach Des Hasler yesterday conceded that the Sea Eagles would not win the hearts of Sydneysiders this week. "I just think you can't change culture," Hasler said. "People hate Manly, so that's great. The saying that fans follow two sides, their own side and the side that's playing Manly, I think that's great and that won't change and why should it?"

Manly winger Chris Hicks (ankle) has declared himself a certain starter after missing the preliminary final win over North Queensland. "(I've) pretty much just (been) icing it every hour for 20 minutes and keeping the foot up for the first week," Hicks said. "I've had plenty of physio and I had the extra week off, which certainly helped me out and … I'll be 100 per cent for Sunday."

Shorty

Staff member
Mmmm can't say I'm surprised and I've never thought he was happy at Melbourne.
Things might change in a year though and perhaps he'll change.

Eight times a day though? Wow.

nqboy

First Grade
Misty Bee said:
Matai in defence, Stewart in attack.
Matai's a poor man's Tahu in defence. A grub who scores the occasional big hit at the expense of discipline. Stewart is pure speed and timing, a hole runner. A very good one, no doubt, but Tahu can make his own breaks.

Garts

Bench
Grail said:
It has nothing to do with being tough or not. Get a grip (or maybe in your case, release it - you'll cut off the circulation). Some people like to be with the ones they love. Is that a problem? And Melbourne is a hole, so I don't blame him feeling like leaving at some stage soon.

I knew I would get some bites.

The toughen up call was slightly toungue in cheek. Although I still dont get the whole homesickness thing being the deciding factor, I believe you should do what is best for your career and how you can set youself up considering you are only in the game for a short time. I understand the missing family thing, I moved from the country to the city for study and work as it was the best thing for me. Its not like he is based in europe ffs.

nqboy

First Grade
Nah, you can't take it back Garts. Homesickness is an issue for some people and PIers seem particularly close to their families generally. Maybe what's best for his career is to play close to his family so he's in a better frame of mind. And money's not everythig to all people.

Garts

Bench
True nqboy money is not everything, I just tend to think for the short career I would be trying to set myself up (its the accountant in me), especially when these guys finish up their earning capacity may not be great and homesickness is a sacrifice that you might have to make.