What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Farah calls on PM to crack down on Twitter abuse

I probably browse 4chan once a month, about a year ago someone died in qld, driving drunk and hit a banana truck. Public page. Everyone on 4chan was posting on it huge rip messages, but about "the bananas that died because of the idiot drunk driver". There were some pretty funny ones. People who knew the kid were obviously upset. Fair few accounts got banned but most of them have trolling accounts.

Girl from my old school hung herself earlier this year. Some of her friends turned her original facebook page into a tribute to her. People I assume were 4chan clowns came in and asked if people wanted to hang out, hang around or if they could swing by. Let's just say 14 year old girls don't react to that too well.

undertaker

Coach
If he was actually a bully then he deserves anything he gets,even a broken neck

That Nathan Elliot Gray bloke is just a wannabe from some heavy metal band in Brisbane. That post was probably the mildest of the lot, as the others were far more explicit. I agree with an earlier poster: people like Nathan wouldn't have been posting those comments if Farah didn't react the first time

CrazyTiger

Juniors
Googled "robbie farah twitter" to see what people are saying to him.

Went to his page, some dude named hazza_09 was stirring him about being a nerd or something.

So I had a look at this hazza_09 fellow's page, and he is friends with Mark Riddell.

Saw Mark Riddell posted on 9 September, "Phil rothfield and the sharks..... 10 wks ago they were specials for the comp... What a f**king myth/bull shit that bloke was."

Onya Piggy!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

You sound like you are ready to join twitter at any moment :)

undertaker

Coach
From that link (http://www.smh.com.au/national/lett...tweeters-do-have-a-choice-20120910-25obv.html)

Before we introduce more draconian laws limiting free speech - a review of what laws may have been broken by Robbie Farah in this case might be worthwhile.
His response to an insult to his deceased mother was to threaten the other person over Twitter (''I would rip your face off''). That looks to me like it violates laws against using a carriage service to make a threat.
Yes, it was a distasteful attack by a troll (and a violation of Twitters' terms of service), but under Australian law making a threat of violence over a telecommunications carrier is an offence with a serious maximum penalty.
We as a society should not overlook any threats of violence. Asking for special efforts from our leaders to chase up a lesser crime than the one he committed is strange.
I think celebrities need lessons on Twitter's ''bloc'' function and coaching on not making threats of violence when they get upset.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Quick Penrose, forward this to the federal police.

He called him a androtop..I don't see anything too drama-filled in that. Tell me, if a radio host or a journalist had written or said what the original tweeter did, you think there'd be a comeuppance? Of course. So what's the difference? Print, tweet or spoken, it's all under the same umbrella of free speech measured against decency.

Seriously, I cannot grasp the logic in the people who think if you go on Twitter you open yourself up for whatever comes. It's a ridiculous concept and basically gives these f**kwits a free passage. But of course most of us here would rather continue to be able to slang someone off reasonably anonymously. Powerful.

betcats

Referee
He called him a androtop..I don't see anything too drama-filled in that. Tell me, if a radio host or a journalist had written or said what the original tweeter did, you think there'd be a comeuppance? Of course. So what's the difference? Print, tweet or spoken, it's all under the same umbrella of free speech measured against decency.

Seriously, I cannot grasp the logic in the people who think if you go on Twitter you open yourself up for whatever comes. It's a ridiculous concept and basically gives these f**kwits a free passage. But of course most of us here would rather continue to be able to slang someone off reasonably anonymously. Powerful.

Stop trying to lump people in as wannabe tough guys or trolls or whatever just because they disagree with you.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
And 18 pages in, it seems like the majority still doesn't get it. The ol' ignore it and it'll go away approach still the most popular. Ridiculous.

Id say the majority get it more than you do. Just because people don't agree with you, doesn't make them ridiculous.

You can't censor the internet unless crimes are being committed and what the troll said is not a crime. Cruel, unethical, but not a crime.

If the law were to reflect ethics and morals, adultery would be a crime again and the downloading of music and movies would be legal.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach

There is a difference between mainstream media and social media, thus different rules apply.

Thats why Vossy suid, and beat, Hadley. He said what he said over the air.

Danish

Referee

The only issue a radio or TV host would have if he said what was said in the original tweet is that he'd likely get fired due to public backlash against whatever station he worked for.

There would be no criminal charges whatsoever.

CrazyTiger

Juniors
Id say the majority get it more than you do. Just because people don't agree with you, doesn't make them ridiculous.

You can't censor the internet unless crimes are being committed and what the troll said is not a crime. Cruel, unethical, but not a crime.

If the law were to reflect ethics and morals, adultery would be a crime again and the downloading of music and movies would be legal.

The concern is that the hillsong brigade (Penrose warrior) would like to make a whole
raft of pretty mild insults illegal (irrespective of the communications medium). Thankfully,
my fellow Austrayans appear to have more common sense than I had given them credit for.

By the way, I think the pollies would like to think that by and large our laws do reflect our ethics and morals as a society.

Frailty

First Grade
The only issue a radio or TV host would have if he said what was said in the original tweet is that he'd likely get fired due to public backlash against whatever station he worked for.

There would be no criminal charges whatsoever.

Shhh... Too much logic for Penrose...

Perth Red

Post Whore
what's next crowd etique police at games? I've heard far far worse shouted at players by fans from the stands. Maybe we need a new law that stops fans venting their spleens whilst at the game?

undertaker

Coach
The concern is that the hillsong brigade (Penrose warrior) would like to make a whole
raft of pretty mild insults illegal (irrespective of the communications medium). Thankfully,
my fellow Austrayans appear to have more common sense than I had given them credit for.

By the way, I think the pollies would like to think that by and large our laws do reflect our ethics and morals as a society.

well said

undertaker

Coach
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/te...ndures-more-twitter-abuse-20120911-25ppt.html

Robbie Farah's crusade against cyber trolls might have earned him a meeting with the Prime Minister but it also sparked further online abuse.
The Wests Tigers captain was today the target of fresh attacks on social media site Twitter and chose to republish some of the abusive comments, he said, "to highlight the problems society faces".
"Sorry mate unfortunately for u I ain't going anywhere," Farah wrote in response to the user, who sent four tweets to the footballer under the name Nathan Elliott Gray.
At least one of the comments again referred to Farah's late mother, Sonia, while another called him a "football playing f---".
Advertisement
"If you don't want people abusing you, you shouldn't have been a bully in high school," Gray continued.
Farah made national headlines this week after calling on Prime Minister Julia Gillard and the police to step in to stop vicious online trolls and commenters.
He was sent an offensive message referring to his late mother and took to Twitter to ask for help.
NSW Premier Barry O'Farrell lent his support to Farah's appeal on Sunday, while the Prime Minister's office yesterday contacted Wests Tigers to set up a meeting between the footballer and Ms Gillard.
Much of the online reaction to Farah's comments was positive, with some people reaching out to him for advice.
"Hey Robbie, I'm having a similar problem ... Who have you contacted that I could speak to," one user asked.
Farah replied: "speak to police mate if they don't leave you alone".

Frailty

First Grade
what's next crowd etique police at games? I've heard far far worse shouted at players by fans from the stands. Maybe we need a new law that stops fans venting their spleens whilst at the game?

I have no doubt that if Penrose, Bunniesfag & co had their way they would make anything even remotely offensive a crime punishable with gaol time...

There is a saying that fits this scenario well - everyone has a right to an opinion... No one has a right not to be offended.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

Mild insults. Without having seen the actual tweet, I'm not so certain that describing sexually what you'd do to a recently deceased person counts as a mild insult. But hey, that's your opinion. And while we're on opinions, not sure that tweeting those descriptions counts as one.

I'm not for a world of bubble wrap and punishing anything 'mildly offensive'. I am for a world where tweets like the one that started this furore are punished. Call him a androtop all you want, that's easy to shrug off. 'Mild insults' involving necrophilia, not so much.