What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favourite All time players and why

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Peter Sterling

One of the best players of all time.......and easily the best half-back in the 80's......his performances have been well documented.

The whole Parra side through the golden run in the 80's were all fantastic.

elili

Juniors
Mullins – esp. as the resurrected fossil when he played for the Roosters. That try back in 94(?) when he kicked ahead three times to score under the posts... unbelievable
Daley - One of the best, an origin performer
Stuart - ditto, as a fellow NSWeshman a better player than Langer. Now the super-professional coach who has taken Rugby League to a new level.
Renolf - 92 (I think) grandfinal, ripped it up, one of the best centres
Meninga - Most probably the best centre i've seen
Paul Sironin - Together with the next three the cornerstone of NSW's dominant pack of the early 90's
Ben Elias
Harragen
Lazerus
Greg Alexander - Underrated good guy
Mark Geyer - tough, hitman
Fitler - Roosters best ever, was involved in everything in the 2002 gf
Fitzgibbon - Workhorse, modest, just a champion bloke and player
Morely - hitman and crowd favourite
Wing - Very tough despite being a pretty boy, very talented and very determined on the field
Mason - very funny, absolute lout of a man, has taken himself to a new level this year on the field

Harold Bishop

Juniors
Geoff Toovey
John Hopoate
What player's can say they are as passionate about their team as these two? John Hopoate is one of the few players going around that genuinely love their footy and team.

Kris_man

Bench
Mullins – esp. as the resurrected fossil when he played for the Roosters. That try back in 94(?) when he kicked ahead three times to score under the posts... unbelievable
95 ;-)

Broncodroid

Juniors
To make this easier for myself, I will give you my ALL TIME FAVOURITE 13, I repeat FAVOURITE, not BEST, yes, Brisbane may just dominate the team:

1. Darren Lockyer: The best fullback I have ever witnessed, an absolute marvel who is on his way to an 'immortal' type career I believe. Does everything effortlessly and now he is excelling in another position, we could just see the best of Lockyer over the next 3-4 years.

2. Wendell Sailor: Dell' was a physical speciment who was the best winger in Rugby League before leaving for a career in Rugby. Size, speed and a try scoring machine, Dell's flare and wannabe' American sportstar antics were awesome to watch and to this day still though he ain't backing it up like he once did.

3. Steve Renouf: The 'Pearl', the 'Prince of Centers', an attacking machine who didn't play as many test matches as I would of liked due to injury at selection time. Whilst his attacking brilliant is often mentioned in comparison to greats like Irvine, Gasnier etc., it must be said, Renouf was a brilliant defensive center.

4. Laurie Daley: Yes, out of position as he was a five-eight, but he played there early in his career and I just can't leave him out. He was the thorn in our side for so many years as a Raider and Blues legend, but the passion, the toughness and skill moulded him to one player I had a love-hate relationship with.

5. Tim Brasher: Did he ever let any team he played for down ? Played forever it seemed and was just one of those players I loved to watch where I thought he was a GREAT fullback and would rank higher if given the opp' to play there his whole career. Was endorsed by the great Garry Jack.

6. Kevin Walters: Little Kevvie played in a tough era for a five-eight. He played with the Lewis, Daley, Fittler to name a few and when on song, he matched with all at some stage. His partnership with Alfie is still missed by myself, his leadership in 2000 when we won the comp with Walters at half was inspirational.

7. Allan Langer: My favourite ALL TIME player and childhood hero. Say what you like, this guy was an out and out champion captain his club to 4 GF's, captaining his state and country, Dally M winner, Rothmans medal winner, Clive Churchill winner...still the guy I have at half in my All Time Greats team, he lifted us to victory so many times on his own it bordered embarassing. I can't speak highly enough of the little general.

13. Brad Fittler: See Laurie Daley. Replace Raiders with Panthers and Roosters adding perhaps the best leader of men I have seen in the modern day game. The game is poorer next season without him.

12. Jason Smith: This guy had it all, ball skills of a world class five-eight, run like the games best backrower, kicking game inside his half of a brilliant half, hit like the AXE Gillemeister and at one stage ranked as perhaps the games best player. Will be awesome to see him back in the NRL plying his trade.

11. Gordan Tallis: The Raging Bull was just that for most of his career, the neck injury has certainly in ways dented his game over the last 3 seasons which had to be expected. When at his best, no one was more intimidating nor as damaging as a runner.

10. Glen Lazarus: The brick with eye's was the cornerstone for whatever team he played winning premierships with 3 clubs. You always felt confident when seeing the big fella run out to play in a big game for the Bronco's...if only we had him in the maroon jersey !

9. Steve Walters: How quickly some forget how GREAT this guy was at the dummy-half position. Unfortunately, he never played for the Bronco's and truth be known Kerrod was great for us when there, but Walters was just this pit bull who I loved watching play except when he was teeing off on the Bronco's.

8. Shane Webcke: The brick with eyes version 2.

Notables: Tony Hearn, Bob Lindner, Dale Shearer, Wally Lewis, Andrew Johns, Garry Jack, Garry Belcher, Trevor Gillmeister, Jim Dymock, Dean Pay...I can go on forever.

Cheers

lolesi

First Grade
Southernsaint said:
Ricky Walford - a great talent & a great club man.

Cheers,
Ben S.

Still see Ricky during footy season at my football oval playing touch footy! Big boy still!!

Late last year before training started i was watching him play against Chris Anderson :lol:

Andrew Ettingshausen - childhood hero, just a freak and a great advertisement for league in a game of mugs

Didnt realise just how good he was until he was gone

Marduk

Juniors
1. Andrew Ettingshausen - Speed to burn, great support player and an all-round legend.

2.Wally Lewis - He's the King!

3. Greg Alexander - Brandy could do just about anything he wanted on the footy field. Great player!

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
kris_man said:
95 ;-)

Is that the try v's brisbane and wasn't it a kick over the top and then a kick off the ground. I thought he kicked it twice?