What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Federal govt. withdraws $10m Centenary funding

fish eel

Immortal
El Diablo said:
sports should not align themselves with political parties and vice versa

So they shouldnt lobby?

and if Rudd had a prob with what they promised he should've mentioned it at the time

Maybe. The NRL still should have sought an assurance.

In-goal

Bench

move this crap to the other forum, and have Roopy change is Signature as it is offensive!!!

fish eel

Immortal
El Diablo said:
they should align i said

I know. And I asked whether they lobby?

Should the NRL have lobbied Rudd?

Maybe he should have given an assurance. But he didnt and the NRL were neglect in not seeking it.

El Diablo

Post Whore
fish eel said:
I know. And I asked whether they lobby?

Should the NRL have lobbied Rudd?

Maybe he should have given an assurance. But he didnt and the NRL were neglect in not seeking it.

they shouldn't have lobbied anyone

as said here http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showpost.php?p=4000049&postcount=160

yakstorm said:
The money was made available from late September last year, I guess League should have moved faster to spend it all, then they couldn't have taken it back...

LRC

Munky said:
LRC don't even try.

In Four Corners I once tried to post that it takes around 20 years for microeconomic reform to take full effect (as per what I was taught.)

The first post to reply was full of ignorance.

Its amazing how ignorant people are really.
I mean seriously..my brother his wife and my sister all have economics degrees and work for some big guns...our dinner table discussions over the last decade have always been politics and economics.
My dad lost his business during the high interest days and even he concedes that we had to go through it....he never voted labor before Hawke and then he swithced back to the coalition but admits that it all stems from that era of reform.

Hell..he even hates work choices....and he used to employ people...not a fan of unions either but concedes societies with a union presence are better than ones without
Look at the USA now...in recession (unofficially)..yet their work place laws are pathetic...so much for the economic benefits of deregulation!

And I know which country Ide prefer to live in...compare the economies of some of the most productive countries in the world such as nothern europe and co and they are very highly unionised...collective agreements are the best thing for economies...pay increases only with productivity.

Austrlia has been left in a terrible place due to the Libs failing to heed the warnings of the reserve and invest in education.

As for the states...all states have surplusses and AAA credit ratings...NSW took a dive because we paid off our Olympics so growth had to slow...it will kick again regardless who is in charge.

Green Machine

First Grade
If sporting bodies didn’t lobby political parties for funds, they would be playing at grounds the standard of Henson Park. Yakstorm’s post had more holes in it than the Wallabies defence line. The ARL never had the money but they had assurances about the funding from a government that was just about to lose office. That’s about as good as being told the cheques in the mail.
Costello gave the Sharks about $10m for the upgrade at Toyota Park. I think the money was made available in 2006. Didn’t the Sharks get accused of using that money for player payments whilst they were waiting for construction to start? When a government gives you the cheque straight away, that’s what I call money in the bank,

taipan

Referee
I read somewhere think it was the Snoring Herald,that the ARU were going to plead their case and try to get the decision on the $25m reversed for Brisbane's Uglymore ground.

The ARL via Love should do the same.Its $10m out of budgets worth billions,peanuts.
If they don't then the press and media via radio should be alerted to the fact ,the govt decision doesn't affect pork barrelling to other sports particularly AFL.A NAB game in Dubai,where according to ch10,mainly expats in attendance .
It might sound mean minded,but pain for all sports should be shared.

Green Machine

First Grade
You make some good points Taipan. It is common knowledge that last year the previous government fell out with the AFL over a few issues including the 3 strikes drug policy. I think the AFL administration is a lot better than ours. Our administration is always reacting to things instead of being proactive. The approach by John O’Neill is interesting. On Thursday night he was on 2UE and he refused to take questions on the ARU funding. I’m sure he will be trying to negotiate a settlement the diplomatic way instead of being confrontational. I wouldn’t be surprise in the ARU get at least their $500k back off the government. The NRL will probably do their negotiating the usual way, either through the Telegraph or on 2GB

McCrud

Juniors
Say hello to the new Minister for Sport - Kate Ellis:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23182538-32102,00.html

For some time now, The Australian has been seeking an in-depth interview with Ellis to get a handle on her hopes and aspirations for her new role. So far, all requests have been denied, although the self-described passionate AFL fan did have a brief chat shortly after the election in which she foreshadowed an unspecified hardline policy on drugs in sport
http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/mi...d-sports-behind/2008/02/08/1202234165162.html

But more disturbing for all sports was that when Ellis finally got on the phone and had a chat to the codes' bosses, she kept referring to "rugby", unaware of the distinction between league and union.
We're f**ked...

Slackboy72

Coach
Green Machine said:
I think the AFL administration is a lot better than ours.

Understatement of the year. Why anyone thinks that Gallop is doing a good job is beyond me. Anyone can see he has Ken Cowley's hand stuck up his @rse.

Green Machine

First Grade
Slackboy72 said:
Understatement of the year. Why anyone thinks that Gallop is doing a good job is beyond me. Anyone can see he has Ken Cowley's hand stuck up his @rse.
I don’t think David Gallop is that bad an administrator. He doesn’t set policy on which way the game goes, he is only the CEO and takes his brief from the NRL Board. That is where I see where the real under achievers from both News Ltd and the ARL are. If the NRL board was to give him a strategic plan on the way forward for the game, I don’t think he would have any problems in carrying out. I thought the way they handled the re- entry of the Gold Coast to NRL was superb. The AFL do things better because they at least have a plan for the way forward. The NRL leaves everything up the clubs to decide what that want to do. The NRL has no long term plan for anything. The only time they come with a plan is when they are forced to do something

Green Machine

First Grade
I love this hysteria with lumping the Victorian Government in bed with the AFL. Brumby seems to have two issues; with Channel 7 airing medical records of players and players given a chance to be rehabilitate. I’ll bet all sides of politics in Victoria have a close relationship with AFL, take Jeff Kennett as a case in point. This is the same government that has committed $270m for a new rectangular Football stadium in the Olympic Park precinct.
Yesterday, Jacquelin Magnay wrote two articles on the new Minister for Sport. She stated:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/minister-preaches-reform-redemption/2008/02/08/1202234165135.html

Ellis said the Government would continue to fund a $2.63m contribution to the 2008 Rugby League World Cup and rugby league's centenary celebrations.

As for the drugs, it should an interest how it plays out between the AFL and the Government, if as Le Kook pointed out the Ellis had a brief chat shortly after the election in which she foreshadowed an unspecified hardline policy on drugs in sport. Should be interesting times ahead,

sherrinator

Juniors
El Diablo said:
sports should not align themselves with political parties and vice versa

and if Rudd had a prob with what they promised he should've mentioned it at the time

So Rudd should have mentioned every tiny little 'promise' Howard ever made?

$10mil isn't even a blip on the radar. How many sh*tty little promises did your man Johny make?

Slackboy72

Coach
Green Machine said:
I thought the way they handled the re- entry of the Gold Coast to NRL was superb.

Credit where credit's due. I think the Titans had a lot more to do with their success than the NRL.

Latest posts