What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feleti Mateo

Stagger eel

Staff member
Prodigal Eel said:
Then Hagan has plans for him imo caus from what i heard there were a few clubs sniffing around offering him a chance to play 1st grade next year!

he's definitely in our top 35 next year.

eloquentEEL

First Grade
strider said:
yeah i think the boys were on the money earlier in the thread - if mateo keeps his head down, he can take the widders creative player off the bench role

i said that as soon as Widders left ;-)

Eelementary

Post Whore
eeelectroshooting? said:
nonsense. for a player of his calibe..."the savour"... (i know im putting words in your mouth...but u know what im getting at) should be able to handle a minor setback, of which he'll have many in his career. If he cant, then he doesnt have the mental toughness required for 1st grade.

These kids dont necessarily take it to heart if hey're dropped - you might in their position - but they dont. they know exactly the circumstances of their promotion. Noone would have promised him a cemented spot, and furthermore, they would have told him he's filling in for injuries, and would be dropped back to play the finals in prems.

I guarantee you that every single junior knows how hard they have to work to EARN a spot in first grade, and know they should never expect to keep that spot over a more experienced player unless they have an unbelievable performance.

EDIT: probably should have quoted the original comment :oops: 8-[

So you reckon Joey Johns has god a great attitude? Great mental fortitude, all that rubbish?

Nonsense.

You know a guy who has great mental fortitude, if perhaps not a tonne of ability? Matt Petersen - no matter how bad things get for him, he'll always give 100%. On the opposite side, Joey is a tool who starts crying like a little girl when things don't go his way. The only difference is that one player is a great, great player, and the other a fringe First Grader.

Not every footballer has the "mental toughness" in them. And some do - but find their will to push themselves harder tested because they do NOTHING wrong.

Look at Mateo - solid First Grade debut, couldn't get a look-in for First Grade again (even with a climbing suspension and injury toll) and Brian Smit would rather send him halfway across the world to a different continent than give him a run in First Grade...Yes, I can totally see why he should not feel down. :roll:

caylo

Bench
joey does cry, but he has mental toughness... he went through a horiffic time as a kid, had some problem with his legs, and ment he had 2 have them in a cast 4 6months each... that is a year without footy, and prob another year out with rehab. as a teenager that would have killed his confidence. i dont like the bloke, but he does have great ticker that quiet often means he steps up when no1 else can

cardinal

Juniors
I have only seen Feleti in his one 1st grade game and I thought he was solid. I also saw him play in England and thought he looked lazy at times but then its a different game over there and I think he may of been carrying a Knee injury. I really hope he reaches his potential and becomes a dominant first grader for us, but in his debut 1st grade game he hardly dominated , we then won a minor prem without him and now we are 4th with him remaining in prems. If he steps up and becomes another Sonny Bill which some of you guys think he is already, great, but lets not forget it is different to dominate in prems compared to nrl. I would love a ball player in the forward pack but that player has to be a strong defender. Jim Dymock could more then hold his own in defence and we need someone to support hindy and wags, Ian H and Lowrie all excellent defenders.

caylo

Bench
i thought he had NZ heratige... thats wot i was told by my pe teacher in year 10 (who is a PL trainer)

Mateo is playing like crap. Played like crap last night.

Good player, yes, but you all drool over him like he is a god when he isn't half the player you all seem to think he is.

Once again, good player, but not what you all make him out to be.

Hollywood Jesus said:
Mateo is playing like crap. Played like crap last night.

Good player, yes, but you all drool over him like he is a god when he isn't half the player you all seem to think he is.

Once again, good player, but not what you all make him out to be.

How would you know? Your always blind drunk at games.

eloquentEEL

First Grade
caylo said:
i thought he had NZ heratige... thats wot i was told by my pe teacher in year 10 (who is a PL trainer)

he may well have some NZ heritage as well, and if so, he may be eligible for either Aus or NZ.

So far he has played for Junior Kangaroos and Tonga.

cardinal

Juniors
HJ is right if he was the player you guys pump him up to be he would be in 1st grade. Why not celebrate the young players in the top grade who have proven themselves and let the others do it in their own time.

Utey

Coach
Quite simply, if they player is good enough and consistantly shows it nothing can stop them from coming into firsts.

Kornstar

Coach
<UPtheEELS> said:
Quite simply, if they player is good enough and consistantly shows it nothing can stop them from coming into firsts.

Unless Brian Smith is the coach........Hayne should have been in alot earlier in the year imo

cardinal

Juniors
Kornstar said:
Unless Brian Smith is the coach........Hayne should have been in alot earlier in the year imo

Yes but JT is coach now and if he thought Mateo would benefit the team he would be in there

Jodeci

Bench
Eela and Jack u blokes are 110% about Feleti. Like u blokes, since Feleti has come up Flegg and PL, I've only missed a few of the boys games. There is no doubt that he is a Jim Dymock in the making. For a right hander to throw a left to right handed 35m pass is incrediable. For those of u who have played league, it's bloody hard.

The kid is all class. I was there in Melb for his debut and he did nothing wrong but unfortuantely he didn't recover well from being sent back to PL to help the boys out. Then he also got on the wrong side of Matt Cameron and that to hasn't helped him. But since he has taken on the role of guiding the boys around the park, his game has improved out of sight.

The problem where you people who doubt him is where perhaps he hasn't played a good game, u all are very quick to judge the kid.

Ideal replacement for Morro. A ball playing lock, gee those where the days

cardinal

Juniors
Jodeci said:
Eela and Jack u blokes are 110% about Feleti. Like u blokes, since Feleti has come up Flegg and PL, I've only missed a few of the boys games. There is no doubt that he is a Jim Dymock in the making. For a right hander to throw a left to right handed 35m pass is incrediable. For those of u who have played league, it's bloody hard.

The kid is all class. I was there in Melb for his debut and he did nothing wrong but unfortuantely he didn't recover well from being sent back to PL to help the boys out. Then he also got on the wrong side of Matt Cameron and that to hasn't helped him. But since he has taken on the role of guiding the boys around the park, his game has improved out of sight.

The problem where you people who doubt him is where perhaps he hasn't played a good game, u all are very quick to judge the kid.

Ideal replacement for Morro. A ball playing lock, gee those where the days

Yeah just like Tim Smith gets judged if he plays an ordinary game, yet he is playing nrl not PL

Latest posts