What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feleti Mateo

Eelementary said:
I seriously cannot believe what I'm reading...

Because he's human and has shown emotion (ie: because he's NOT a robot and does NOT let getting dropped for no good reason get to him), he's lazy or has a bad attitude? Please. Give me a break.

* He made his First Grade debut, indicating he is rated by staff.

* He was dropped, and for no reason.

* Even with injuries and suspensions he couldn't get back into First Grade - even when he deserved it.

* He was then loaned to a team halfway across the globe, thus further giving him this idea of, "No matter what I do, I just can't get a break in Grade here at ther Eels."

Considering those 4 bullert points, I think it's understandable why his attitude drops off from time to time. But instead of sympathising, we criticise him for it.

What a fickle bunch of fans we truly are.

mate its not all so black and white....there's a massive grey area in between. In your eyes he was dropped for no reason, but common sense tells me this would not be the case. Theres no way that he'd be left guessing until teams are named the following week to know his fate. He'd have been told the reasons why he wasnt reselected again. ie: what he needs to work on, players who were coming back from injury/suspension that have greater value to the team.

Are you aware of the circumstances regarding his loan OS? I doubt it, if im wrong i'd happily eat my words. You make it sound that he was loaned against his will. I think it was a great opportunity to get some valuable experience, and force him out of his comfort zone, which he appeared to be in. And in doing so, get his head right with a chance to come home and have a shot at firsts.

Eelementary said:
* Even with injuries and suspensions he couldn't get back into First Grade - even when he deserved it.

I find it so amusing that fans seem to believe that they know so much more than a whole team of experienced coaches. And you can argue that BS did the same to hayne, but as it's already been mentioned, taylor would have him in first grade if he deserved it.

Eelementary said:
I seriously cannot believe what I'm reading...

Because he's human and has shown emotion (ie: because he's NOT a robot and does NOT let getting dropped for no good reason get to him), he's lazy or has a bad attitude? Please. Give me a break.

There's a distinction between showing emotion and dropping your bundle because you havent been reselected. my old coach used to say sport is 60% mental fortitude, 40% physical ability. If he wants to make it to his potential then he'll have to be able to deal with these setbacks.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Jake the snake said:
I heard that Junior paulo was heavily considered for the Sharks game off the bench instead of Mckinnon.

that doesn't surprise me Jake...unfortunately Junior may need to bide his time due sallery cap restraints as we've use a hell of alot players for first grade this year.

eelavation said:
that doesn't surprise me Jake...unfortunately Junior may need to bide his time due sallery cap restraints as we've use a hell of alot players for first grade this year.

He had another strong game against the sharks EELA.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Jake the snake said:

both Junior and Aaron Wood are contracted for next year ;-)

who else played strong mate???

The Colonel

Immortal
Jake the snake said:

The kid is going well..... its a shamethe second tier cap dictates whether we can use him (or others) or not.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Hollywood Jesus said:
I never said this, either.

Same deal as with Mateo - very good player but you guys are drooling over them as if they are already pencilled in to play for Australia or something.

Parramatta fans should know better than most that a good junior does not always turn into a great first grader.

Josh is a very talented front rower - and had a great game against the Sharks - but you guys have to stop blowing your loads over them until they get regular first grade time and prove themselves.

Josh played very well on Saturday - best game by far. Now he has to do it again this weekend, and the next, and the next etc etc

I agree and am glad I'm not the only one on this forum that thinks this way.

eelavation said:
both Junior and Aaron Wood are contracted for next year ;-)

who else played strong mate???

As you know feleti had a Blinder. Zeb had a very strong game and scored a try too. The rest did ok. Feleti, Junior and Zeb were definately the standouts. And it was a tough game too. I don't belive Delaney will be a good 2nd rower maybe a Lock but 2nd row. He got push back a few times.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
eelavation said:

That would be a shame if he isn't used because of salary cap restraints. He has improved and couldn't be far off debut for us.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Jake the snake said:
As you know feleti had a Blinder. Zeb had a very strong game and scored a try too. The rest did ok. Feleti, Junior and Zeb were definately the standouts. And it was a tough game too. I don't belive Delaney will be a good 2nd rower maybe a Lock but 2nd row. He got push back a few times.

thanks..did you take much notice of the left side defense with Inu and Taia being there? they've been struggling lately and oppostion attack have been aiming down that side.

Stagger eel

Staff member
The Ref in Seat 196 said:
That would be a shame if he isn't used because of salary cap restraints. He has improved and couldn't be far off debut for us.

well the worst that could happen is we'd be stung for a technical breach which tends to happen to about 4 or 5 clubs every year...no big deal, but when i spoke to a club official about it they were dead against going there.

eelavation said:
thanks..did you take much notice of the left side defense with Inu and Taia being there? they've been struggling lately and oppostion attack have been aiming down that side.

Nothing bad really stood out. From memory one of Cronulla's trys was scored from a kick.

The crulla halfback goes good.

stiffmeister

Bench
As was mentioned previously, Mateo will be at the club next year. Hagan obviously gave the go ahead to have him re-signed, so I would expect mateo to be playing first grade next year. Mateo is too talented not to be playing first grade. A great ball player. Brings back great memories of Mr Jim Dymock

The Colonel

Immortal
Jake the snake said:
Nothing bad really stood out. From memory one of Cronulla's trys was scored from a kick.

The crulla halfback goes good.

Russ Aitken will be playing 5/8 for the Storm next year apparently. Hopefully he can beat the homesickness bug that saw him return early from the Cowboys back to the Sharks.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
is there an update on Green

we are gonna miss him if he is out for the season

Eelementary

Post Whore
eeelectroshooting? said:
mate its not all so black and white....there's a massive grey area in between. In your eyes he was dropped for no reason, but common sense tells me this would not be the case. Theres no way that he'd be left guessing until teams are named the following week to know his fate. He'd have been told the reasons why he wasnt reselected again. ie: what he needs to work on, players who were coming back from injury/suspension that have greater value to the team.

Are you aware of the circumstances regarding his loan OS? I doubt it, if im wrong i'd happily eat my words. You make it sound that he was loaned against his will. I think it was a great opportunity to get some valuable experience, and force him out of his comfort zone, which he appeared to be in. And in doing so, get his head right with a chance to come home and have a shot at firsts.

I find it so amusing that fans seem to believe that they know so much more than a whole team of experienced coaches. And you can argue that BS did the same to hayne, but as it's already been mentioned, taylor would have him in first grade if he deserved it.

There's a distinction between showing emotion and dropping your bundle because you havent been reselected. my old coach used to say sport is 60% mental fortitude, 40% physical ability. If he wants to make it to his potential then he'll have to be able to deal with these setbacks.

Mate, I agree - he SHOULD let his axing act as a tool to fire him up. But, for whatever reason, he didn't. Is that any reason to lay crap on the guy?

I've done my bit - I've come up with seemingly plausible explanations as to why he may have attitude issues. But those who attack him haven't done the opposite.

Also, need I remind you that Brian Smith notoriously dropped a player (I think it may have been Morris) thirty minutes before kick-off? Brian was a master of headgames and, as Widders himself put it, he made his own players nervous - because they never knew where they were playing, or if at all. Therefore, it is not as reasonable as you may think to assume that he got told exactly why he was dropped.

I never claimed that I know more than coaches. I DO, however, know what it feels like to be axed for seemingly no reason - my own form was good and the team had injuries and suspensions, but I was stil demoted. I found it hard to motivate myself. I got this feeling of. "Well, I'm doing my best and, despite the fact I made my big break, I've been dropped for doing nothing wrong. Why bother?"

All I'm saying is that it is understandable why his attitude may suffer, given the events that occurred.

And not everyone has the mental fortitude - great example is Willie Mason. When he's switched on, he's bloody brilliant. When he's not, he's a passenger. But regardless of his attitude, he LOVES footy and he's bloody good at it. I suspect Mateo loves footy (otherwise he wouldn't be playing) and he's pretty good at it too.

Eelementary

Post Whore
cardinal said:
And who should be dropped from our forward pack to include Feleti ?

What's wrong with dropping say McKinnon and putting either Wagon or Mateo on the bench?

8. Cayless (C)
9. Riddell
10. Robinson
11. Hindmarsh
12. Wagon
13. Morrison

14. Marsh
15. Widders
16. Cordoba
17. Mateo

1eyedeel

Juniors
Eelementary said:
What's wrong with dropping say McKinnon and putting either Wagon or Mateo on the bench?

8. Cayless (C)
9. Riddell
10. Robinson
11. Hindmarsh
12. Wagon
13. Morrison

14. Marsh
15. Widders
16. Cordoba
17. Mateo

Too many cooks spoil the broth. You don't want Widders and Mateo in the team, too similiar players (albeit in a different way if that makes sense).

Re: The second tier. Being a part-timer and a project player, Junior surely wouldn't be on much more than match payments. Even if he was going to put the club $10k over, you'd do it and cop the fine wouldn't you..

Eelementary

Post Whore
The Colonel said:
What has McKinnon done to warrant being dropped?

Nothing. But for mine, it's either McKinnon or Burt. And, whilst I rate McKinnon very highly, he won't be around next year. Plus, Burt has the speed, general play kicking and goal-kicking we so sorely need.

On the point about Widders and Mateo being similar...Yes, that's a good point. Actually, that MAY be why we were so happy to see Widders leave and Mateo stay...Hmm...

eelavation said:
in all seriousness John, for someone who's been a great supporter of the dim dark ages of the early 90's as shown in your sig, I think you should be the last person to pound someone over their support for up and coming players.
;-)

let's get fairdinkum.

I think it's great to support up and coming players.

However, like I have said.....there is a difference. Jake absolutely drops his pants and bends over for Mateo when the kid has only played one game in Firsts.

Tim Smith, anyone?

All I am saying is that we just need to sit back and watch how these kids go. Some people here seem to think the likes of Mateo and Cordoba are already definate Kangaroos of the future. Based on what? A handful of games for Josh and one for Mateo?

I seem to remember a certain Jersey Flegg team during our darker days that was full of absolute future first grade stars that were going to save our club. The team ended up producing jack all...

Yes, Mateo is good, but he's not that good......not yet anyways....