What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FFS! Quade Cooper in secret talks with Parramatta Eels

Prop Forward

Juniors
Quade Cooper in secret talks with Parramatta Eels

QUADE Cooper has held secret negotiations with the Parramatta Eels as the Wallabies star weighs up a shock defection to the NRL.

In a bombshell that will rock the Australian Rugby Union, Cooper is contemplating walking out on the code at season's end after his management flew to Sydney last week for talks with Eels boss Paul Osborne.

Osborne refused to comment last night but The Daily Telegraph can reveal that Queensland playmaker Cooper and his manager Richard Colreavy have spoken with the Eels CEO.
At the core of Cooper's concerns is a two-year top-up offer from the ARU.

The offer is so unpalatable that the 22-year-old is prepared to turn his back on the Wallabies' 2011 World Cup campaign.

Cooper verbally agreed to a two-year deal with the Reds in June, but the ARU component of his contract has yet to be sealed - which means he is technically a free agent.

The loss of Cooper would be a devastating blow for the Wallabies and coach Robbie Deans, who is building Australia's Cup campaign around Cooper's attacking wizardry.

Cooper was tight-lipped when contacted last night but revealed he has thought about playing in the NRL.

"I can't say too much," said Cooper, who goes into Wallabies camp next Tuesday after serving a two-match suspension. "I enjoy watching the NRL and wouldn't rule it out.

"Right now, I'm playing rugby, that's my focus. I don't know what's going on there [negotiations with the Eels]. It's been a tough two weeks for me being suspended, so I just want to get back on the field."

Asked if he harboured a desire to be a dual international, Cooper said: "It's too much to be thinking about being a dual international but any footballer who has the opportunity to do it would think about it.

"I'm concentrating on playing for the Wallabies and I'm looking forward to the next few weeks in South Africa."

Cooper's manager declined to comment last night. But it is understood Colreavy will continue talks with the Eels over the next week.

Parramatta sensation Hayne is seen as a crucial bargaining chip because he and Cooper have struck up a friendship via Twitter.

The Eels could do with some attacking spark at the scrumbase after coach Daniel Anderson yesterday dropped young playmaker Daniel Mortimer, who has struggled to replicate the form he showed in his rookie season last year.

The Eels have been searching in vain for a senior mentor for Mortimer, launching unsuccessful attempts to lure Trent Barrett, Brett Kimmorley, Cooper Cronk, Matt Orford and even Brent Sherwin.

Former Wallabies coach John Connolly said that Cooper, who has had burglary charges withdrawn following mediation in July, would be a revelation in the NRL.

"He is a rugby league player through and through," Connolly said. "He'd be very successful in the NRL.

"The challenge for him would be to tighten up his defence. But he is a very talented young man who can be a success in both codes.

"He would be a great five-eighth in rugby league. He's a good distributor and he's got the attacking game to test defences."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-parramatta-eels/story-e6frexnr-1225904646096

Bazal

Post Whore
Yah, good player, he's a dickhead though...he'd have to be amazing on the field for me to forgive that, and tbh I'm not sure he is consistently that.

Forty20

First Grade
Hurray for Twitter! Huzzah for being able to use a social networking program as a bargaining chip!

7. Cooper Cronk
6. Quade Cooper

It would go down as one of the greatest halves combinations of all times, for both talent and the names involved.

Parra fans, NO, the entirety of Australia deserves to see this perfect match of sporting glory.

Make it happen Ossie.

In all seriousness, I would love Quade Cooper in the team...if he gets a grip on his off field problems and we have a hooker giving him clean and fast service. So either Matt Keating sharpens up his ground passing or Mitchell gets a bite at the cherry as a significant reason that Quade Cooper has been able to dominate this year is that he has Genia giving him the time and space.

Gigolo

Juniors
Would be the signing of the year if you guys pull it off but it does appear he's using you to drive up his ARU contract. Might not be completely pointless as he may be looking for a new challenge after the World Cup. The one I'd really love to see have a crack at league is Will Genia, he'd be a superstar.

Forty20

First Grade
I think if quade came to league he would soon replace Darren as QLD's and AUS's number 6

If he came to Parra, he would be playing his first senior Rugby League for a NSW club, hence he would be representing NSW for Origin and not QLD.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
There seems to be a bit of depth to this story, does anyone here follow Rugby enough to give a detail about his game and how it can be translated to League and our team?

Forty20

First Grade
There seems to be a bit of depth to this story, does anyone here follow Rugby enough to give a detail about his game and how it can be translated to League and our team?

Cooper is a prodigious talent albeit a tad temperamental, arguably his strongest talent is his running game. He has good speed and surprising strength in his wiry frame. He has some great footwork to boot so he is a real handful when he takes on the line or gets into broken play.

His left and right passes are also quality (like any decent union 5/8) and he has both a long and short passing game. From what I've seen of his kicking, he has good meterage on his boot but I haven't really seen many aggressive try scoring kicks which is more to do with Union itself. Another asset that he possesses is the ability to offload, which sounds trivial for any decent league player but a true offload is alot rarer for union players.

He is a fairly complete package in attack and isn't too bad in defence but I can't validate his organising credentials since he has Will Genia (for both Qld and Wallabies) marshalling the forwards.

He is a natural fit for an oldschool league 5/8 and outside of any decent half who could take some pressure off him he would terrorise teams. He could definitely work as a halfback though, especially with the playmaking skills that Hayne possesses to compliment him.

Obligatory Youtube Footage

Quade Cooper & The Reds 2010 Tribute
Quade Cooper HIghllights vs Sharks 2010
Quade Cooper Highlights
Super Cooper!

Mind the taste in music for those videos, it certainly isn't going to appeal to everyone. Thank god for volume controls, ey? :D

Last edited:

Stagger eel

Staff member
if you're going to target a Rah! Rah! to play league than this kid has got it, forty20 described him perfectly but you've really got to check out the links to actually do it justice...the first thing you notice is his balance on his feet, the second thing is the way he handles the pill...

he could be the best convert since Michael O'Connor...

however, watch for the ARU to nip this in the bud good and proper and offer a major upgrade to his ARU top up.

If he came to Parra, he would be playing his first senior Rugby League for a NSW club, hence he would be representing NSW for Origin and not QLD.

I think you would find it would be a 3 way tussle. He's a kiwi so im sure NZ would try and get him aswell.

Wouldnt surprise me at all to see him play rugby league at some point , I just doubt it will be this time round. If the leak of this story came from coopers side you can bet its all about leverage then.

Forty20

First Grade
if you're going to target a Rah! Rah! to play league than this kid has got it, forty20 described him perfectly but you've really got to check out the links to actually do it justice...the first thing you notice is his balance on his feet, the second thing is the way he handles the pill...

he could be the best convert since Michael O'Connor...

however, watch for the ARU to nip this in the bud good and proper and offer a major upgrade to his ARU top up.

To be fair to Union lads, I think Rob Horne would be an incredible league centre while Will Genia would make a mighty fine hooker but as far as halves go it is pretty much Dan Carter and Quade Cooper.

While it doesn't reek as bad as the Andrew John/Waratahs farce it does have the scent of Quade Cooper's camp hardballing the ARU for a pay rise.

Still, playing with Hayne is a pretty decent draw card and we have the funds for a very respectable offer (for a union star). Origin would be a pretty enticing as well, maybe even more so then playing for the Kangaroos ironically.

I won't be holding my breath but his signing would be monumental for our club, potentially more so then any current half in the league barring maybe Thurston given both his age and talent.

strider

Post Whore
has parra ever had someone called "Quade" play for them? :-k

i think not

and i think never too :lol:

Stagger eel

Staff member
To be fair to Union lads, I think Rob Horne would be an incredible league centre while Will Genia would make a mighty fine hooker but as far as halves go it is pretty much Dan Carter and Quade Cooper.

While it doesn't reek as bad as the Andrew John/Waratahs farce it does have the scent of Quade Cooper's camp hardballing the ARU for a pay rise.

Still, playing with Hayne is a pretty decent draw card and we have the funds for a very respectable offer (for a union star). Origin would be a pretty enticing as well, maybe even more so then playing for the Kangaroos ironically.

I won't be holding my breath but his signing would be monumental for our club, potentially more so then any current half in the league barring maybe Thurston given both his age and talent.

not sure about Gania mate..it's really difficult to tell how an RU 9 will fare up given their role in the game..Habana would be an absolute freak of a winger though!!!

Latest posts