What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FFS! Quade Cooper in secret talks with Parramatta Eels

mrpwnd

Bench
It's called a form slump.
Honestly, KK was worse than Morts this year. Robbo hasn't been much better.
All of our halves this year have been crap, good in some tiny parts but crap.
No, it means we f**ked up when we signed Morts and are now trying to save face by using various euphemisms to keep him out of 1st grade for the remainder of our games.

boxhead

First Grade
AND if it hadn't been for Grayson, Tom Dooley would have been in Tennessee.

:lol:

No, it means we f**ked up when we signed Morts and are now trying to save face by using various euphemisms to keep him out of 1st grade for the remainder of our games.

We f**ked up after he was favourite to win Dally M Rookie of the Year, and was even close to winning Dally M Five-Eighth of the Year?
I'm sorry, but our management had every right to make the decision they did.

mrpwnd

Bench
:lol:

We f**ked up after he was favourite to win Dally M Rookie of the Year, and was even close to winning Dally M Five-Eighth of the Year?
I'm sorry, but our management had every right to make the decision they did.
lol mate, anyone would've looked like Wally Lewis if all they did was support Hayne.
It's up the management and coach to realize that that's all Mortimer did and either sign him for a small amount or give him to the dogs.
Honestly the only game I ever saw the kid shine in was against the dogs in the qualifying finals.

boxhead

First Grade
lol mate, anyone would've looked like Wally Lewis if all they did was support Hayne.
It's up the management and coach to realize that that's all Mortimer did and either sign him for a small amount or give him to the dogs.
Honestly the only game I ever saw the kid shine in was against the dogs in the qualifying finals.

Well I disagree, I believe Mortimer has shown a lot, and actually was probably our 2nd best player the whole year. I remember when he debuted, he was incredible, even though we were beaten. I also know that it was him moving into five-eighth was when we started playing a lot better, and he was definitely one of the huge reasons Jarryd sparked into form.

parra pete

Referee
I remember the days when Steve Mortimer was told he wouldn't make it.
I am a great believer in the old adage "don’t take a knock back as a sign of failure. Keep plugging away and success will come – probably at a time when you least expect it.
Nobody would have blamed Captain Cook if he had turned back – but then again he wouldn’t be as famous as he is now…
I have every faith in Danny Mortimer being a great success for the Eels. I see so much of his Uncle Chris in the way he plays..and I know that with his determination and encouragement from his Dad and his Uncles, Daniel will repay the Club's faith in him many times over.
He is still a boy with less than 50 NRL games behind him....
BTW....What the Club is paying him is not my concern, and it should not be the concern of anyone else. It is between him and the Club...

Last edited:

boxhead

First Grade
I remember the days when Steve Mortimer was told he wouldn't make it.
I am a great believer in the old adage "don’t take a knock back as a sign of failure. Keep plugging away and success will come – probably at a time when you least expect it.
Nobody would have blamed Captain Cook if he had turned back – but then again he wouldn’t be as famous as he is now…
I have every faith in Danny Mortimer being a great success for the Eels. I see so much of his Uncle Chris in the way he plays..and I know that with his determination and encouragement from his Dad and his Uncles, Daniel will repay the Club's faith in him many times over.
He is still a boy with less than 50 NRL games behind him....

:clap::clap::clap:

parra_pete, you are the wisest person on this whole forum, and I perfectly agree with you.
Great post. The kid is far too young, and yes; his determination will take him wherever he wants to go.

Ratchy

Juniors
If we have Robson as our 7 next year then we are going to be in similat strife.

He has no vision, pace, kicking game or passing ability - but he can tackle, he was owned by a 19 year old in the Tigers game and has consistently shown why he is seen as a back up. The NYC has no stand outs in the halves, off to the auction rooms or hope that Murray or someone comes out of the blocks. The roster is good enough if we have someone to push it around the park, just don't expect Robson or Morts to do that.

Didn't Robson request a release to play in England next year tho?

mrpwnd

Bench
:clap::clap::clap:

parra_pete, you are the wisest person on this whole forum, and I perfectly agree with you.
Great post. The kid is far too young, and yes; his determination will take him wherever he wants to go.
It sure as hell didn't take him anywhere this year. But hell, he's got all of next year to make me eat my words, but atm he's crap.

strider

Post Whore
Well I disagree, I believe Mortimer has shown a lot, and actually was probably our 2nd best player the whole year. I remember when he debuted, he was incredible, even though we were beaten. I also know that it was him moving into five-eighth was when we started playing a lot better, and he was definitely one of the huge reasons Jarryd sparked into form.

yeah I think parra fans have very short memories - I wouldn't say he was second best, but he was easily one of our top 5 players last year

strider

Post Whore
its classic 2nd yr syndrome ... 1st year in you have no expectations, no fear, no knowledge of what will happen and you just perform well cos of the niavety .... then as time passes the expectations, fears and knowledge increase and you are second guessing what you should and shouldn't do and it goes pear shaped

if we had a true half who could control the game and mortimer could just play ad-lib 5/8, support play and the odd dart here and there, he'd probably go ok - but unfortunately we've got nothing like that and mortimer can't handle that role .... maybe he will one day - who knows???

Gronk

Staff member
its classic 2nd yr syndrome ... 1st year in you have no expectations, no fear, no knowledge of what will happen and you just perform well cos of the niavety .... then as time passes the expectations, fears and knowledge increase and you are second guessing what you should and shouldn't do and it goes pear shaped

if we had a true half who could control the game and mortimer could just play ad-lib 5/8, support play and the odd dart here and there, he'd probably go ok - but unfortunately we've got nothing like that and mortimer can't handle that role .... maybe he will one day - who knows???

I think the biggest factor Morts is his lack of size (to be a 6) and lack of genuine pace (to be a 7).

strider

Post Whore
of course it was massively about hayne - but he doesn't play 13 positions simultaneously and needs someone to tackle and back him up when he sets up tries .... morts knew where the tryline was last year - this year someone pointed him in the wrong direction

forward pass

Coach
Mate, I will keep saying this, we have BRAD MURRAY, who is by far the best play-maker in the NYC. As I have said, and as many Roosters fans have said, if it weren't for Mitchell Pearce, Brad Murray would have already graduated to first-grade.
We are more than set with this guy for next season, and he will be our long-term option if we do enough to keep him.

Mate, before Mitchell Pearce played 1st grade, he was considered an absolute gun - a future superstar.

I agree he is just about there now but it has taken what 4 seasons before he has got to that level. Those getting excited about Murray are seriously getting well ahead of themselves.

Gronk

Staff member
Mate, before Mitchell Pearce played 1st grade, he was considered an absolute gun - a future superstar.

I agree he is just about there now but it has taken what 4 seasons before he has got to that level. Those getting excited about Murray are seriously getting well ahead of themselves.

Agree Pearce struggled early on as did Sandow. How many would gave gave up on Sandow after his first 2/3 years ? Now he is quite a competitor and certainly far better than any 7 that we've had in the past decade.

caylo

Bench
Agree Pearce struggled early on as did Sandow. How many would gave gave up on Sandow after his first 2/3 years ? Now he is quite a competitor and certainly far better than any 7 that we've had in the past decade.

Mitchell Pearce had a good first season, so did Sandow, Tim Smith, Lewis and Soward. Being a half you can perform in your first year, its the years after that which determine how good someone is.

Murray may be able to perform if given the oppourtunity but he will need someone outside him who can take the pressure off. Humble or Cooper could give him that beause they are both genuine ball players, mortimer would be a disaster outside Murray because he isn't a ball player ATM.

SeftonBoy

Juniors
Regardless if Murray will be the one in future seasons - the Eels are going to struggle for the next few years without a topline halfback. Sorry to say Hindy will retire without a premiership - a travesty.