What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

(Finally) Aus v Ton Confirmed - Oct 20, Mt Smart

yakstorm

First Grade

Match is definitely selling stronger than the Australia v NZ match (although that doesn't appear to going horribly). Would be disappointing if any less than 30K was there at Mt Smart... does raise the question, why for these Tests are areas like the North Stand being sold, but for the NRL season, the Warriors didn't open these areas for games like Simon Mannering's farewell, etc.

playdaball

Bench

Match is definitely selling stronger than the Australia v NZ match (although that doesn't appear to going horribly). Would be disappointing if any less than 30K was there at Mt Smart... does raise the question, why for these Tests are areas like the North Stand being sold, but for the NRL season, the Warriors didn't open these areas for games like Simon Mannering's farewell, etc.

They won’t get 30k as ground doesn’t hold that many people.

The North stand during the Warriors season is basically an area dedicated to members. There are members bars as well as face painting areas etc. there are also about 10 various food outlets too.

Next year’s Tonga vs Nz test could be played at Eden Park allowing for potentially 15k extra. There is more publicity / advertising here in NZ for the Tongan test than the NZ test.

Burns

First Grade
They sold the tickets to the Northern Embankement as seating/standing. So I think there will be 30k like the World Cup last year.

I agree with Yakstorm, it’s odd they don’t do it for he massive Warriors games. But makes sense as playdaball says.

The Kiwi match crowd looks concerning to me. Worry it won’t crack 20,000.

As someone who grew up in that part of town an played footy in that part of town...It won't surprise me in the slightest. South Auckland loves its Pacific football, as does NZ (dare I say it Australia too). Perhaps this is why theyve held back on pulling the trigger with a true Pacific series...it might expose too much.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/09/19...ed-in-tonga-squad-for-test-against-kangaroos/

Tonga squad:

Andrew Fifita – Cronulla Sharks
Addin Fonua- Blake – Manly Warringah
Mahe Fonua – Wests Tigers
Moeaki Fotuaika – Gold Coast Titans
David Fusitua – NZ Warriors
Siliva Havilli – Canberra Raiders
Ata Hingano – Canberra Raiders
Will Hopoate – Canterbury Bulldogs
Koniseti Hurrell – Gold Coast Titans
Michael Jennings – Parramatta Eels
Robert Jennings – South Sydney Rabbitohs
Solomone Kata – NZ Warriors
Sione Katoa – Penrith Panthers
Samisoni Langi – Catalans Dragons
Tuimoala Lolohea – Wests Tigers
Sika Manu – Hull FC
Sam Moa – Catalans Dragons
Ben Murdoch-Masila – Warrington Wolves
Joe Ofahengaue – Brisbane Broncos
Tevita Pangai jnr – Brisbane Broncos
Agnatius Paasi – NZ Warriors
Leivaha Pulu – NZ Warriors
Scott Sorensen – Cronulla Sharks
Ukuma Ta’ai – Huddersfield Giants
Jason Taumalolo – North Qld Cowboys
Tevita Tatola – South Sydney Rabbitohs
Siosiua Taukeiaho – Sydney Roosters
Peni Terepo – Parramatta Eels
Daniel Tupou – Sydney Roosters

Matua

Bench
Langi at standoff? Oh, missed Tui's name in there. And which of the poor wings gets to be outside Kata and not get any ball?

Also, how many props in that squad?

Good squad, good pack, mostly good outside backs and shitty halves.

Matthew Ellis

Juniors
I'm worried something like Chechin getting death threats happens again if Tonga lose. Love the passion but passionate fanbases can often go too far. I doubt it though, a big part of the anger came from fans not understanding the rules or outrage from one eyed fans thinking Checchin cost them the game. And I think Australia be in control throughout most of the match.

Last edited:

thorson1987

Coach
Langi at standoff? Oh, missed Tui's name in there. And which of the poor wings gets to be outside Kata and not get any ball?

Also, how many props in that squad?

Good squad, good pack, mostly good outside backs and shitty halves.

So just your usual Tongan/Samoan/Fijian/PNG team.

Burns

First Grade

Match has now Sold Out bar what appears to be few remaining seats on the Northern side embankment.

yakstorm

First Grade
A great result. Hopefully they can announce a sell-out soon and then put all the marketing focus on the NZ v Australia game.