What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

undertaker

Coach
Now that I've had time to think the possible finals combinations through, here's my thoughts:

Of the 4 timelots: Friday night, Saturday 6pm, Saturday 8pm, Sunday arvo

- Melbourne, getting a guaranteed home final at AAMI Park, should be locked in for Saturday 6pm. As someone else said, it'd be a big mistake playing them on Friday night against Geelong vs Hawthorn. Melbourne won't get any more than15k max, regardless of their opponent. They'd get in the 10-15k range. On Saturday evening, they'll get 20k+ (and potentially up to 25k, if against the Cowboys).

- Cronulla or Canberra's home final (whoever hosts) locked in for Friday night at Allianz/GIO Stadium.

- If Broncos host a final, locked in for Sunday arvo and the remaining final held on Saturday 8pm. If against the Titans, it will sell-out, against Tigers would get 45k+

- If Cowboys host a final, locked in for Saturday 8pm with the remaining final on Sunday arvo.

- Penrith or Bulldogs home final held at Allianz on Sat 8pm if Broncos playing on Sunday. If Broncos don't have a home final, then at ANZ Stadium on Sunday.

So, with the Cowboys and Broncos finals situation sorted out, next week's schedule should be as follows:

Friday night: Cronulla vs Canberra (@ Allianz if Canberra lose tomorrow, @ GIO Stadium if Canberra win)

Saturday 6pm: Melbourne vs North Queensland (heard it mentioned in commentary tonight that there's been a push to have this match on Saturday night rather than Friday night. Common sense hopefully will prevail here, as the crowd for this match will be heavily affected if it goes head-to-head with Geelong vs Hawthorn)

Saturday 8pm: Penrith vs Canterbury @ Allianz Stadium

Sunday arvo: Brisbane vs Gold Coast/Wests Tigers @ Suncorp (due to stadium unavailability on Saturday)

The scheduling of those timeslots are fair, as the winner of Brisbane vs Gold Coast/Wests Tigers plays the loser of Melbourne vs North QLD the following Saturday night, and the winner of Penrith vs Canterbury plays the loser of Cronulla vs Canberra the following Friday night. So, the winners of the elimination matches both get 6 day turnaround, and the losers of the other two finals get a 7 day turnaround. The winners of both week 2 finals get a 7 day turnaround.

Worst case scenario: if Cronulla do end up getting a home final, I really hope that the NRL aren't contemplating the idea of a Saturday double-header at Allianz. As I said, this would be a blunder. Cronulla vs Canberra/Penrith vs Canterbury will get a total crowd as separate matches larger than a double header.

Last edited:

Snappy

Coach
Wish Broncos had finished 6th instead of 5th. Whilst week 1 would be a tougher game, looking ahead to week 2, I'd much prefer to play the loser from Raiders v sharks, than either cows or storm.

Timbo

Staff member
Neither Penrith nor us shouldn't have to play Friday given we're playing tomorrow.

undertaker

Coach
Wish Broncos had finished 6th instead of 5th. Whilst week 1 would be a tougher game, looking ahead to week 2, I'd much prefer to play the loser from Raiders v sharks, than either cows or storm.

If the Broncos win next week, Nth QLD vs Brisbane in Townsville or Melbourne vs Brisbane the following Saturday night will shape up to be a huge match.

Snappy

Coach
no doubt. But if I had the choice, I'd much rather play week 2 in canberra or cronulla than either of those options.

Raiderdave

First Grade
I really don't get how people are angry at the NRL over the ANZ Stadium issue.

Was the NRL meant to book every available timeslot just in case? As if the stadium would have agreed to that. The AFL approached them to book the ground for a match that will certainly draw a big crowd and generate money for the stadium. As if they'd let the ground sit empty if the AFL are guaranteeing a crowd.

The Penrith/Dogs game should be scheduled on the Sunday afternoon. If Hoppa chooses to sit it out because his imaginary friend says so, it shouldn't make a difference and the Dogs are stupid for signing someone who could go absent in September.

Are you kidding ??
Do you think the AFL would allow anyone to muscle in on the MCG during their final series & potentially force their clubs to Etihad ?
It's not up to the NRL to look after the AFL
The NRL was well within its rights to tell the AFL ANZ is off limits because they won't know who is playing who til after the final round

So F off to the SCG where you belong !!

undertaker

Coach
Neither Penrith nor us shouldn't have to play Friday given we're playing tomorrow.

Since the NRL adopted the AFL finals system in 2012, Friday night has always been and always will be 1vs4 or 2vs3 (so mathematically, the losers of those matches can have a 7 day turnaround until the week 2 finals match), and Sunday has always been and always will be 5vs8 or 6vs7. So, that automatically excludes Penrith (in the 6vs7 match) from playing on Friday night. The winners of both 5vs8 and 6vs7 have always had a 6 day turnaround between their week 1 and week 2 finals match, as a result of there being no more Sunday finals matches in weeks 2/3 since 2008.

I've harped on about this issue before in the past, but once again, you can thank all those morons on this forum and at games leading up to 2008 who kept nagging and complaining about wanting their beloved 3pm daytime GF back so they could have a barbecue and beers. As a part of a compromised deal with Ch9 changing to a 5:20pm twilight GF during 2008-12, week 2/3 finals reverted from Sat night/Sunday back to Fri night/Sat night. Ch9 was the winner in this and the fans being the losers, as Ch9 not only got a 5:20pm GF (which the fans who pushed for the daytime GF didn't ask for) that still overlapped into prime-time, but an additional two finals matches in prime-time - Fri night week 2/3 finals. Now that Ch9 have got their night GF back in this current tv rights deal, I can't believe no one in the media has mentioned anything about why week 2/3 finals haven't gone back to Sat night/Sunday. Shows how the fans have been screwed over once again.

Finally, regarding your point about teams who played on Sunday in the final round of the regular season then playing the first finals match on the Friday night, this last happened in 2007 when Parramatta travelled to Auckland to play the Warriors. It also has happened to the Tigers in 2005, Canberra in 2003, Cronulla in 2001, Penrith in 2000, Roosters in 1999 and so on....

Timbo

Staff member
Are you kidding ??
Do you think the AFL would allow anyone to muscle in on the MCG during their final series & potentially force their clubs to Etihad ?
It's not up to the NRL to look after the AFL
The NRL was well within its rights to tell the AFL ANZ is off limits because they won't know who is playing who til after the final round

So F off to the SCG where you belong !!

You really are quite speshal aren't you?

The NRL has no - repeat, no - control over who books ANZ Stadium and what they book it for. Nor does the owner, the NSW Government, have any responsibility to the NRL especially when there are two Sydney teams meeting in the match.

As I have said in other threads, I get it - you don't like other sports. But don't confuse your dislike of them with practical economic matters (like the massive crowd that will attend the AFL) or the fact the stadium operator would take a booking rather than risking let the stadium sit empty because of your compelling 'NRL rulz lolz and AFL sukzzzz' theory.

unforgiven

Bench

The NRL has no - repeat, no - control over who books ANZ Stadium and what they book it for. Nor does the owner, the NSW Government, have any responsibility to the NRL especially when there are two Sydney teams meeting in the match.

As I have said in other threads, I get it - you don't like other sports. But don't confuse your dislike of them with practical economic matters (like the massive crowd that will attend the AFL) or the fact the stadium operator would take a booking rather than risking let the stadium sit empty because of your compelling 'NRL rulz lolz and AFL sukzzzz' theory.

The NRL has a priority at the stadium through the bulldogs contract with the stadium, they have the preference to play there. The NRL gave this up and allowed the AFL to use it for their all Sydney final.

Last edited:

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
If penrith get a home final at the sfs..

We have offically gone crazy ;

Gave up our hq to afl
And moved a game because of morman faith

Danish

Referee

The NRL brings in 9 out of 10 of ANZ's biggest drawing events every year, including their biggest moneymaker in the grand final each year. In terms of their overall revenue, you'd have to think a solid 75-80% of it comes from NRL games.

I think that should give them enough power to demand a one off money grab be passed on

Sleep

Juniors
Last night they seemed pretty sure Storm/Cowboys would be on the Saturday night, not the Friday as most were originally predicting. Broncos can't play Friday so either the Raiders or Panthers will get f**ked on a short turn around.

Raiderdave

First Grade

The only one speshal here dumbo.. Or woteva your name is appears to be you

The NRL is given first dibs at any games played at the venue
Has been the case for years

Only an ignorant little moron like you wouldn't know that. Practical economic matters play no part in it as it was the NRLs venue to use when they needed it. Now they have to potentially change their format because they F'd up.
The fumbling singlet wearers should be at the SCG where they belong.
But I'm sure you'll be there cheering at ANZ on Sat arvo won't you dumbo..

Raiderdave

First Grade
The NRL brings in 9 out of 10 of ANZ's biggest drawing events every year, including their biggest moneymaker in the grand final each year. In terms of their overall revenue, you'd have to think a solid 75-80% of it comes from NRL games.

I think that should give them enough power to demand a one off money grab be passed on

Ssshh
Dumbo is speshal ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts