What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals Week 2 vs Souths

BLM01

First Grade
The whole rule change was a massive over-reaction.

If the referees used some common sense and simply made it play on instead of rewarding the original perpetrators with a penalty, then the NRL wouldn't have this clusterf#$%.

This incident I agree they dont know how to use commonsense and that is the big problem.
Yeh missed most of the game but saw last 25 minutes parts with no sound. We were up 10-2.
First half several mates texted me and reported the following. (non Dragon supporters)
Dragons started poor but defended 1st half better than Souths. Hunt's or the teams 5th tackle options were not good enough but..in front
What I saw Souths made too many metres and was too fast. Dragons defended gallantly but lost punch and looked out on their feet and went to wind the game down 1 out play mode and stop supported ball runner..except last play..Yeh wrong option with a minute to go but play was on had Mann got the ball out or Hunt cut him out and passed to Field..we likely scored and won the game. Good instinctive footy at wrong time. Field needed more game time in the 2nd half...we needed more points
We went for the field goal too early especially we had no one good enough really to take em.. Hunt cant kick field goals. Ahmau well if you are running one out as prop dont give up the ball.
Great effort Dragons but icing big momemts in big games when game in balance etc is still our achilles heel..and has been since Bennett departed. Souths were there for the taking especially at 10-2 up.
I hope next year it changes
In review..face it Since Round 9 we beat a Top 8 team once in the Broncos last week. Not good enough and we need 1 more good prop and 1 more speedy outside back. 1-5 Dufty, Lomax & Pereira are keepers. Toss a coin for the other 2 from who we have but need 1 more strong back.
I hate off season and not looking forward to likely a Melb / Roosters GF. Look forward to some Dragons signings for 19? I will start getting pumped again around January. Enjoy your off season fellow supporters and I will be still watchin Rumours thread with baited breath for 1 to come true.

Gareth67

First Grade
Gareth, coming 6th is poor. Not good enough. Team may be a bit better next year, but same coach, same ending.

Team put in ok, but did not stick to the game plan.

We need a strategist, a coach with plans, not a dufus.

I don't wish to dwell on the subject of coaching at this stage - my post was quite simply a congratulatory message to each of the players for what was a wonderful display of true Big Red V football and courage in what was at times a very disappointing season .

The point is my friend that I am referring to the grand effort shown by our blokes in the last 2 matches , particularly in yesterday's. A lot of walking wounded took the field , players gave it their all and that is what this thread is all about - the semi final match , it is not a thread about the coach . :innocent:

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I disagree regarding the legitimacy of the McInnes penalty.

The rule was brought in to stop the cynical throwing of the ball into an opposition player by the dummy half, and thus gaining an an unwarranted penalty.

Where in the rule does it say the dummy half has to alter what they were going to do simply because an opposition player is illegally in the ruck?

At worst, it should've been play on.

I think OzBuck’s post earlier in the thread sums it up best.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
It’s amazing how many FG’s have been kicked in this finals series.

Munster, Cronk, Reynolds, Townsend.

There’s your top 4 boys and girls. Big game players win big matches.

Hunt’s never kicked one. So I knew in a tight game, we were screwed. Probably why the all or nothing play on that last tackle as he probably knew he couldn’t execute a FG when it mattered.

How far out was the team on the last play?

giboz71

First Grade
How far out was the team on the last play?

Wasn’t talking about the last play? They game was headed for extra time and it seemed he didn’t want a bar of it. Kick deep and take your chances in extra time. That’s what all the best halves would have done.

Why did he go for the all or nothing play? Clearly he had no confidence in getting in a FG duel with Reynolds in overtime coz he knew would likely lose.

Gareth67

First Grade
I noticed that the channel 9 commentators were beside themselves with the Souths victory , in fact one could say that they were as happy as pigs in the proverbial ' shat ' .

Demented pack of berstards !

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Wasn’t talking about the last play? They game was headed for extra time and it seemed he didn’t want a bar of it. Kick deep and take your chances in extra time. That’s what all the best halves would have done.

Why did he go for the all or nothing play? Clearly he had no confidence in getting in a FG duel with Reynolds in overtime coz he knew would likely lose.

I’ll have to check the replay, but I would’ve thought the all or nothing play was forced in him by: 1. not much time left and 2. the position where the side was (a fair way out).

dannyt

Coach
I think OzBuck’s post earlier in the thread sums it up best.
It is a nice summary, and we both agree about the stupidity of penalising and not playing on.

However, I don't see why the dummy half should have to change what they do because a defender is illegally in the ruck.

giboz71

First Grade
I’ll have to check the replay, but I would’ve thought the all or nothing play was forced in him by: 1. not much time left and 2. the position where the side was (a fair way out).

There should be no difficulty for a half to kick it deep on the 6th tackle.

Happens every set when not in an attacking position.

And this was a guy who was kicking for the touchline with 20 to go in the 2015 GF. Hunt more than anyone knows how to play percentage footy and he should have played the percentages again.

There was a minute to go with Adam Reynolds on the other side and we die with the ball on the halfway???

FMD. Even Mary lost his shit.

18to87

First Grade
The only defence for Hunt is that it really was on. If he passed to Field or Lafai, they are away and still make it to OT at worst. The problem is it went to Mann who as we know died with the ball.

dannyt

Coach
The only defence for Hunt is that it really was on. If he passed to Field or Lafai, they are away and still make it to OT at worst. The problem is it went to Mann who as we know died with the ball.
If he cut out Mann, we probably wouldn't be having this conservation.

We would probably be lamenting the fact that we cannot win golden point games.

rednwhites

Juniors

Yep. Hunt did this every so often earlier when we were firing at the start of the year. It was successful more often than not. We could so easily be talking about a Hunt masterstroke. It just didn't come off for him and, as much as I am impressed by Mann, it would have probably worked with Gareth there.

I am willing to forgive them for that to be honest despite the need to play it safe. I think we weren't going to win a field goal shootout. Maybe that was part of the thinking.

Now people are questioning Hunt's price tag... this all comes back to the club and the coach. With McGregor as coach you can expect we will have to throw big money for quality players. We needed a quality halfback for a while. He isn't perfect but he is a quality player and he will win us many games. But we may never afford decent players elsewhere because we don't have a coach players are willing to give up a couple of $ to play for.

j0nesy

Bench
Relax on the Hunt bashing and glorifying Reynolds. Id kick 5 field goals with the way the Rabbits pack was going. Our defense was great but we had no go forward. We miss Vaughn badly. They Bunnies were making 80m every set towards the end.
Yeah, we also missed Sims in the 2nd half.

giboz71

First Grade

Sorry. Love Benny Hunt but that play was all on him.

I don’t think he should have been trying that play anyway but if he did, at least execute it right. I’m pretty sure the pass should have gone to Field out the back.

Surely a million odd bucks ensures we get that play right? That’s why we bought him.

Reynolds delivered time and again when he was presented with his chances and he’s probably on half what Hunt is paid.

Dragon Blood

Juniors
Yep wtf are you on about above, in the speed of the play and with him passing, what is Cam meant to do. Im sure as hell sure he's not thinking about milking a penalty in that situation there, he is just trying to pass the friggin' ball. Thats why the nrl and the shit rule changes are stuffed, right there.
No mate, he tried to milk a penalty and it backfired... had he gone on with it we were in try scoring/field goal range. He basically had a brain fart and F'up. Needs time on the bench in 2019 to reflect on his defencientcies
Who are you referring to here?
I'm curious too, has he replied yet or should we keep pestering?
I'm guessing it's LAM he's referring to

Latest posts