What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals week 3, Roosters v Rabbitohs, Saturday 22nd of September 7:40pm @Allianz Stadium

Bobby Moses

Juniors
Problem was that Seibs didn't decide who his bench should be and failed to give the younger men the experience necessary with time on the field so we ended up with Clarkie and Murray the only experienced bench players perhaps Hunt too.
I can't see Souths being a threat next year with GI and Sam another year older and the cupboard is rather empty.Youthful vigour is required,Sutts should retire e.g.we have nil second rowers.
A dilemma in the halves and two wingers who aren't wingers and a f.b.who murdered a try last night and really was ordinary? The future doesn't look great imo.
The Chooks gave us a bath last night!
Pretty devastated over the result.
The score line flattered us I guess with their lack of goal kicking.
Hats off to the roosters, they certainly did their homework on us defensively.
The season far exceeded all of our expectations and was one of the more enjoyable ones with our new attacking style (where was it tonight!)
Bring on 2019!
Well devoed like everybody but also proud to get so far. I think one of the main problems this week was that we played a rested team. We had two hugely physical games coming into this one,,,,,,, a week off would have been a bonus. I feel the week off nowadays makes an enormous difference. As seen with Melbourne V Cronulla. We had a number of busted players and an exhausted team. Roosters,,,,,, even thought it hurts to say, were great in defence whilst we were average in attack. The bench use or lack of is a bit of a mystery to me. Bring on 2019.

Pilot house

Juniors
Mate I feel for you, it’s hard to suffer a loss in a prelim final, your team has had a wonderful year, you can be proud as all heck about them, there are great times ahead for you boys. You guys have had a great year, of course it’s always good to win the whole thing, but your boys are credit to your tradition, your club, your supporters and the entire south sydney area.

The new season kicks off in around 24 weeks time, it flies. Great times ahead.
Glory glory to South Sydney........I will be chomping at the bit for the new season to start.

As for me, I will be praying Saints kick our habit of crashing and burning every July.
Cheers boys.
On you way dingbat

Curns13

Juniors
I was just about to post the same thing.

It's been a common theme for the past month and in tight games
Problem was that Seibs didn't decide who his bench should be and failed to give the younger men the experience necessary with time on the field so we ended up with Clarkie and Murray the only experienced bench players perhaps Hunt too.
I can't see Souths being a threat next year with GI and Sam another year older and the cupboard is rather empty.Youthful vigour is required,Sutts should retire e.g.we have nil second rowers.
A dilemma in the halves and two wingers who aren't wingers and a f.b.who murdered a try last night and really was ordinary? The future doesn't look great imo.
The Chooks gave us a bath last night!
I completely disagree with your pessimism. There is no reason that every single player in this team, except GI, wouldn't be as good or better next year. Murray and Graham are both going to develop into rep players, Doueihi could eventually replace Cody or Reyno or could become a great centre or might just be a super sub that Seibs will actually play and we've got a heap of young kids coming through to fill gaps. This year is just the beginning.

Pilot house

Juniors
Stand and pass in a confused manner has never been the best of attacking options.

Creating underlaps was the order of the night.

Woeful.

Surrendered meekly to blue brick headed boofs

But 12th to 3rd was a pretty good year.

Robinson is a freak coach.

Life's Good

Coach
Bad luck there Bunnies.
Try not to get too down about that one. You played fairly ordinary so you can’t beat yourself up too much(trust me, as a Dragons fan I’ve had plenty of experience). It’s just one of those things. Not sure what happened with your attack(includes last week)but you have had a great season playing some blisteringly slick attack.
You’ll be back firing again in 2019.

southsport

First Grade
Bad luck there Bunnies.
Try not to get too down about that one. You played fairly ordinary so you can’t beat yourself up too much(trust me, as a Dragons fan I’ve had plenty of experience). It’s just one of those things. Not sure what happened with your attack(includes last week)but you have had a great season playing some blisteringly slick attack.
You’ll be back firing again in 2019.
Thanks mate, see you in the Charity Shield. ;)

southsport

First Grade
We’ve had our differences but in all seriousness congrats on a great season. I’m sure every single one of you would have taken a Prelim Final at the start of the year. All the best for next year.
Yeah, didn't expect to get that far and it wasn't looking likely early in the season.

Cheers.

Pilot house

Juniors
Cowardly off the ball play on Gronks injured shoulder when it was the attack structures souths should have been focusing on.

When the rooster attack is generally forgettable and it was all about overcoming their impenetrable d.

Pilot house

Juniors
It was a bit like watching the Australian cricket team play for the draw.

If it wasn’t butchering Cronk, then the game plan seemed to be to find out how many of the rooster players could miss pretty regular attempts at goals.

callmack1

Staff member
Thanks for all the kind messages supporters from other teams, it's much appreciated.

I feel that last night could have been so different but we bet ourselves imo. It wasn't so much that the Roosters weren't insanely good and at the same time, we weren't insanely poor but we did beat ourselves imo. It's almost like the occasion got to us and we went away from what has worked so well all year.

There's no doubt we looked a little tired too and that week off was absoulutely massive for the Roosters, that also went a long way towards the win for them.

I'm still so gutted, today has been a really tough day. I know I might be beating myself up a little bit but it's just the fact that we were so damn close that sucks. If a few things had gone differently, it could've been us heading into that GF next weekend but I guess that shows the closeness of the competition.

Also, I'm not gonna delve into 2019 too much yet, I will a bit when I do a season review, but to those saying we're looking shit for 2019, I couldn't disagree more!! I now see this year as the start, it's been a great year and has sort of been like 2012. I think our Premiership window is well and truely open.

Pilot house

Juniors
Souths really should be making a massive play for Trent Robinson.

He goes well unless his marquees are simulating sex with animals.

I’m serious. He’s brilliant.

Morehead St

Juniors
The comments here are all spot on - even the ones that disagree with each other because there are grains of truth in the opposing views. When I read news online I find it helpful to go to the comments section to learn a whole lot more with extra information and more ideas. You even learn HOW to ‘see’ matters in a different way - to think outside the box by taking a new angle or approach.

I have found exactly the same here today. Thank you.

I know this bit may sounds dumb, but I would like the coaching staff to read the various ideas expressed here to see if they may be able to pick up an idea or two for next year.

Even if they disagree with everything, the mental process of internally debating a different point is beneficial in itself by often taking the brain on a new road that reaps reward.

Institutions and individuals are at times so focused that the eyes become narrow and closed to other ways. I can only guess that for all the football brains in the coaching staff, sometimes you are so involved and wrapped up in a situation you may not see all things clearly, nor other possibilities.

The comments here have pin pointed weaknesses that have shown themselves at various times over the season.

It was our bad luck that all of those flaws came together on the one night. But they have been present since the start of the year, and it seems that little was done to effectively eradicate them. I say ‘effectively’ because that does not mean that something was not tried – there is a big difference.

The point I am trying to make is that maybe some flaws were not identified. We’ll never really know the answer to that, but what harm would it be for the staff top search outside their circle? Just a suggestion – after all, even big corporations survey their customers to pick up anything management may have missed!

On another matter, one facet of our team over the last 3 games not expressed was the toll on Sam that the sexting topic has taken.

Being found innocent does not immediately alleviate the pain.

For him to play 3 bad games in a row reflects the hurt he has felt and shows where his mind has been.

Yeah you can convince yourself that you are concentrating on the game totally - every player does that - but when your soul, sub-conscious and every other cell in your body does not fully believe it, then you perform under par.

Regardless of how innocent you feel on such a sensational topic if the charge applied to you, it is magnified when thrown at a public figure clearly because the issue is now public and not kept within the walls of your own home.

Being a tough player to take the physical stuff does not mean you lack the other characteristics that make us human like family pride, trust and love of your wife, strength that comes from not 'hurting' your loved ones, pride in the way the rest of society views you, etc.

We have all been under stress at various times in our lives and have had other aspects of our lives suffer accordingly.

Even when sitting down, stress exhausts you. It burns up balance; stops the body from refreshing itself; prevents the mind from focus and clearing all negativity; etc.

Knowing you are innocent is one thing, but thinking others believe you are in the wrong is a totally different situation. How many sleepless nights would Sam have had?

Even a full night sleep is not a restful one when under stress. His mind and body would not have been replenished over the last 3 weeks.

I hope he and his family can have some respite away from the glare of tabloid media; spend quality time together, and somehow put this all behind them.

As for the GF I am hoping for a wonderful game and I do not care who wins because I have little regard for either club: the Storm because of the maiming tactics they have continually introduced into the game, and the Roosters because of their ability to pay a large number of players high salaries and still ‘remain’ under the cap!

Maybe a draw causing a shared GF will be enough to break both their hearts.

.H

Pilot house

Juniors
Great post above. Read it three times folks, it gets better at each outing.

Yes, it’s another fizzer of a grand final with the two most uninspiring and generally morbid sides taking part. Most people will be lucky to make it through to the first ten minutes without wandering off to clean the Bins or play solitaire in the sunroom.

I am hoping the rorters win it because they are the worst and most moofy of the two sides and slightly less predictable than the purple bot merkins.

I hope Cronk can play because I am ashamed of the late,lurid, bad tempered and rubbish decision to target him when he was already badly hurt and consigned to directing traffic.

Whether it was planned or not that
was just not the Souths way. It brought considerable shame and betrayal to the club ensuring that it died on its knees and not on its feet 2018.

The learnings for Souths and seibold are many and varied.

The first of which is to avoid preparing the team in the manner it was...

Even the sharks tried something different, we just snuck under the bed and hid there until the game was over.

Seibs has to own this.

Doesn’t make him a bad coach or person, but he failed badly. Learn and grow seibs.

Pilot house

Juniors
As for being embarrassed about targeting Cronk someone needs to watch another sport.

It was very effective wasn’t it?

It was stupid, muddle headed and shameful.

The thinking behind it was as dark, macabre and frustrating as the actual whacks.

It was “textbook” nonsense.

This is a proud club, no need to resort to traditional roosters ways of playing.

Latest posts