What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finch cops guilty plea

RoostarGirl

Juniors
Dog-E said:
Hmmm - Careful attaching yourself to Melon there Roostar Girl...you may share team allegiances...but tread with caution, when agreeing wholeheartedly with what Melon says.....If it becomes a habit - it'll only end in tears, I can assure you!

Just a friendly, general LU warning! ;-)

Oh thanks for the friendly warning, but I'm a tough chick I'll be fine :D

borat

Bench
Melon,

Serious question time, what is the Roosters record like with Wing at halfback and when was the last time he played there?

It must have been a long time ago. I know when Finch first arrived at the Roosters they played around with positions to see who would go best but that didn't last long and Finch has had it ever since.

Rednecked Yobbo

Juniors
Look Finch deserves to cop it. He lifted him past the horizontal!
And for Price to say he was headbutted originally, well, does he know what one is cause morrison's head was nowhere near.
And Im angry that Ricketson got off altogether.

m0j0

Bench
borat said:
Melon,

Serious question time, what is the Roosters record like with Wing at halfback and when was the last time he played there?

It must have been a long time ago. I know when Finch first arrived at the Roosters they played around with positions to see who would go best but that didn't last long and Finch has had it ever since.

Can't recall if he's played there since, but he played halfback in the 2002 grand final (well, for the entire season actually). Bonetti was hooker. To answer your question, I'd say the Roosters record with Wing at halfback was pretty good.

nqboy said:
I'm still pissed off Ricketson escaped justice.

For what. Luke's tackle was a round the chest and it was unfortunate that the Raiders player had already been tackled low and had his legs taken from underneath him. His back hits the ground first and then unfortunately his head does but it is not because of a head slam tackle.
Take a look at Ricketson's and then Morissons tackle that led to Price being charged. Exactly the same.

Now as for Brett Finch I have had a look at Ben Ross's and there is no way that Brett's is that bad. But even allowing for the fact that Shifcofske did twist his body there was a point just before that where Breet could have put him on his back. He will be hard pressed to get off and I think will not be playing this year.

Steven Price will be playing on the weekend what he is doing at the judiciary I don't know. Morrison completes the tackle and Price with an open palm goes to push Morrison away and at that point Morrison moves and Prices misses and it is his forearm and arm guard that make contact with Morrison. His initial intention is to push Morrison away. If Price is done for striking how is Mason not when he with a closed fist put one on Myles chin. How does Gorden Tallis get nothing also.

So I think Brett will be lucky and is about 35% of getting the downgrade.
Steven Price I am 90% sure will get off.

borat said:
Melon,

Record with Wing at halfback one premiership last time he played there was in the 2002 Grand Final. When Finch first arrived they moved Wing to hooker and Finch to halfback there was no playing around that was it.

The Colonel

Immortal
He has said that while he is guilty of the tackle he/Roosters feel the grading is excessive. Quite within their rights to do so - and it has been used by many teams/players this year to reduce charges.

Chook

First Grade
Sea_Eagles_Rock said:
How can you plead guilty and request a change to the charge??? That is a load of bulldust!

Cause it's only been in the rules since, oh the START OF THE SEASON!!!

It's an avenue within the points allocation system that many players have exercised.

Been following the game long?

Chook.

Southern Rooster said:
borat said:
Melon,

Record with Wing at halfback one premiership last time he played there was in the 2002 Grand Final. When Finch first arrived they moved Wing to hooker and Finch to halfback there was no playing around that was it.

Not quite true, Southern Rooster. For much of the beginning of 2003, Finch started on the bench with Wing at halfback.

Frankly, I don't think Wing will be at halfback. I think Fittler and Flannery will oscillate between first and second receiver. It's worked before.

TRANSLATION

Juniors
Colonel Eel said:
He has said that while he is guilty of the tackle he/Roosters feel the grading is excessive. Quite within their rights to do so - and it has been used by many teams/players this year to reduce charges.

CE,

We all know that, the part we are disputing is the Grading he was given. and the Stupid case they are putting forward.

Any club would try anything. But the fact is, is that Freddy was let off, we can handle that for a champion player and person. But they should not let this clown off.

First point of contact was the head. No Appeal should have been allowed.

melon....

Coach
borat said:
Melon,

The question has been answered for you Borat. We have Wing, Flannery, Fiitler who can play first receiver. Fittler did it wearing the 6 for 8 years!!
Lets not forget the Ashes Tour Australian 5/8...Crocker!! LMAO!!
We arent Brisbane...we have options.

Renowned League Expert said:
Southern Rooster said:
borat said:
Melon,

Not quite true, Southern Rooster. For much of the beginning of 2003, Finch started on the bench with Wing at halfback.

Frankly, I don't think Wing will be at halfback. I think Fittler and Flannery will oscillate between first and second receiver. It's worked before.

If Finch ain't there Wing will be and Webb will be hooker. With Webb there it also adds a bit moremongrel to our side. Wing can also get in and out of dummy half if the need arises.

The Colonel

Immortal
Raider denies role in tackle
By Dean Ritchie
September 14, 2004

CANBERRA forward Tyran Smith says he can't recall touching teammate Clinton Schifcofske in Sunday's controversial tackle which led to Roosters halfback Brett Finch being charged for lifting.

Finch faces a three-week ban - ensuring he will not play again this season - if found guilty of a dangerous throw at the NRL judiciary tonight.

The Roosters yesterday confirmed Finch would plead guilty but would attempt to have the charge downgraded.

If successful, Finch will avoid suspension and be free to play in the Roosters' grand final qualifier on Sunday week against the winner of the Cowboys-Broncos semi-final.

It is understood Finch will be represented tonight by solicitor Michael Conn, a club board member, and Roosters chief executive Brian Canavan.

The Roosters are expected to argue that Smith and Canberra teammate Joel Monaghan played a contributing role in the tackle by pushing on Schifcofske as Finch was driving the Canberra fullback back.

But Smith said last night he did not think he played any part in how the tackle ended up.

"I don't remember it - if they say I had anything to do with it, well, that's a load of rubbish," he said.

The Roosters are expected to argue that:

* Schifcofske runs towards his own players to use them as assistant drivers.

* Monaghan places his hands on Schifcofske as well as possibly pushing Finch.

* Smith has his hand in contact with Schifcofske throughout the tackle and acts as a fulcrum to spin him over and that Smith prevents Schifcofske from hitting the deck horizontally.

The Sydney Roosters yesterday released a statement on the Finch case.

"The club is disputing the grade two charge and will present evidence in an attempt to have the charge downgraded to grade one," it read. "Evidence assembled by the Roosters will be presented to the judiciary.

"A downgrade on the charge, coupled with the early plea, will result in 93 demerit points, providing the opportunity for Brett to take his place with the Roosters in Sunday week's preliminary final."

Bulldogs captain Steve Price has pleaded not guilty to striking North Queensland's Glenn Morrison and will fight the charge tonight in a bid to play against Melbourne on Sunday.

Smith and Canberra teammate Jason Croker entered early guilty pleas to charges yesterday.

Croker was suspended for three matches on a grade three dangerous throw while Smith was banned for five matches on two charges - a grade two dangerous throw and grade two knee lifting.

Both players will serve their suspensions from the start of next season.

The Daily Telegraph