What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finch set to be squeezed out

emjaycee said:
If (when) we get to the Grand Final this year (2008) and win it, do we try and keep Finch?

That is a lot of if's and when's.

A long long journey to come before we reach that bridge.

Stagger eel

Staff member
emjaycee said:
If (when) we get to the Grand Final this year (2008) and win it, do we try and keep Finch?

Finchy's future would be sorted out well before then...

emjaycee

Coach
MarkInTheStands said:
That is a lot of if's and when's.

A long long journey to come before we reach that bridge.

Stagger eel said:
Finchy's future would be sorted out well before then...

Guys that is my point exactly. My question was aimed at the Finch knockers who are saying before a ball is kicked off in 2008 that we don't need him and we shouldn't keep him and we can't keep him over KK, Mitchell, etc.

If we get into the Grand Final on the back of a 2008 team with Finch at 5/8th, would these same people be saying we should get rid of him?

Yes alot of 'ifs' MITS and a long journey to go, but should we have improved success in 2008, then Finch will be a SoO, Grand Finalist (Premiership winner???) half/five-eighth who at 27 years of age has close to 3 more years in him.

That is exactly the kind of player we need IMHO.

yy_cheng

Coach
you can sign whatever you want but at the end of the day, do we have the dosh? I am more than happy to give him 70k per year

Stagger eel

Staff member
emjaycee said:
Guys that is my point exactly. My question was aimed at the Finch knockers who are saying before a ball is kicked off in 2008 that we don't need him and we shouldn't keep him and we can't keep him over KK, Mitchell, etc.

If we get into the Grand Final on the back of a 2008 team with Finch at 5/8th, would these same people be saying we should get rid of him?

Yes alot of 'ifs' MITS and a long journey to go, but should we have improved success in 2008, then Finch will be a SoO, Grand Finalist (Premiership winner???) half/five-eighth who at 27 years of age has close to 3 more years in him.

That is exactly the kind of player we need IMHO.

but who cares? they're still entitled to an opinion and if the above did happen, they wouldn't admit they were wrong so I wouldn't worry about it mate...:D

Stagger eel

Staff member
yy_cheng said:
you can sign whatever you want but at the end of the day, do we have the dosh? I am more than happy to give him 70k per year

considering what he could get in England that could also be seen as an insult, unless cff course he signs on with the intention of ending his career here with a guarentee of a roll off the field in a coaching and development capacity.

Bigfella

Coach
The fact is that Finch's form has not yet demanded he be re-signed, at the expense of other options in the hlaves, including Smith, Mateo (already committed), Keating, Kelly etc.

He has probably half a season to do so.

It's not a case of people being Finch knockers. Most of the people on this forum have stated that they would like to keep him on if there wer eno salary cap restraints, and that he offers us something.

The question is whether he offers enough to justify squeezing out the other players in his position(s).

And quite frankly, his "one percenters" and "off the ball" work are not going to be enough on their own.

He has a huge amount in his game to improve, particularly in attack, to justify retention at the sort of money he is on, at the expense of younger players who apepar to have potentially higer skill sets.

If he can show that consistency in attack, the club will certainly reconsider its long term position.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Bigfella said:
The fact is that Finch's form has not yet demanded he be re-signed, at the expense of other options in the hlaves, including Smith, Mateo (already committed), Keating, Kelly etc.

He has probably half a season to do so.

It's not a case of people being Finch knockers. Most of the people on this forum have stated that they would like to keep him on if there wer eno salary cap restraints, and that he offers us something.

The question is whether he offers enough to justify squeezing out the other players in his position(s).

And quite frankly, his "one percenters" and "off the ball" work are not going to be enough on their own.

He has a huge amount in his game to improve, particularly in attack, to justify retention at the sort of money he is on, at the expense of younger players who apepar to have potentially higer skill sets.

If he can show that consistency in attack, the club will certainly reconsider its long term position.

I'll tell you three important things he offers..

1] we've seen that he has the ability to do what alot of players and don't do and that's role their sleaves up and do the ugly work which alot of our stars don't do to much of.

2] he offers leadership on and off the field.

3] he offers the ability to play at dummy half if so happens that Pig decides to head over seas and M Keats and Mitchell aren't quite ready yet.

saying all that, I have grave doubt whether the cash is actually available to keep him.

Gronk

Staff member
Stagger eel said:
saying all that, I have grave doubt whether the cash is actually available to keep him.

Will he be such a hot property on the market that the papers suggest ? I wonder. He may not tick all the boxes for many clubs out there.

The Colonel

Immortal
He is an experienced half with finals experience. Maybe not all the boxes but I think quite a few clubs will chase him - Dragons or Tigers will be at the top of the list.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Gronk said:
Will he be such a hot property on the market that the papers suggest ? I wonder. He may not tick all the boxes for many clubs out there.

he definitely wouldn't be hot property, no one's suggesting that for a minute, but he will be a bargain buy and I have no doubt that he will get an offer here whether it's big or small some clubs will atleast enquire about his services.

Bigfella

Coach
I'll tell you three important things he offers..

1] we've seen that he has the ability to do what alot of players and don't do and that's role their sleaves up and do the ugly work which alot of our stars don't do to much of.

2] he offers leadership on and off the field.

3] he offers the ability to play at dummy half if so happens that Pig decides to head over seas and M Keats and Mitchell aren't quite ready yet.

I agree with those points.

But if that's all he offers, those things alone don't make him your first choice 5/8.

Most of those attributes would also apply to John Morris wouldn't they?

Bigfella

Coach
ALso pig going o/s would be a big wild card in the future retention of a few players.

Maybe the signing of Ben means the club knows a bit more than us on this front?

Stagger eel

Staff member
Bigfella said:
I agree with those points.

But if that's all he offers, those things alone don't make him your first choice 5/8.

Most of those attributes would also apply to John Morris wouldn't they?

sure, but I think he's most valueble attributes is his brain and the ability to play 6,7 and 9 in a pinch.

ideally, he probably wouldn't be the first choice 6 in many sides but I guess that all depends on what the coach is looking for.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Bigfella said:
ALso pig going o/s would be a big wild card in the future retention of a few players.

Maybe the signing of Ben means the club knows a bit more than us on this front?

absolutely no doubt that the club will no much more than what we all care to imagine, I think one thing that we've done better than most is plan for a squad a good 12 to 18 months in advance and by doing that you'd have to have your finger on the pulse in many areas of their player roster.

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
losing finch and pig will be massive blows the the club, both leaders and inspirational players at the club

Latest posts