What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finch set to be squeezed out

FUIFUI_MOIMOI

Juniors
A reborn Brett Finch looks likely to be an Eels scapegoat, writes Andrew Webster.
Brett Finch spent New Year's Eve rubbing shoulders with the high rollers and desperadoes of Las Vegas. Ask him what odds he gives himself of staying with the Eels beyond this season and he says: "It's not very good odds at all. There's not much chance of me staying there, really."
It's becoming clearer that Finch, who was reborn at five-eighth at the Eels last season alongside Tim Smith, is likely to be squeezed out because of the salary cap.
Which is a shame, of course: he fired last year.
The off-season re-signings of young superstar outside backs Krisnan Inu and Jarryd Hayne on telephone number-like figures, and centre Ben Smith's contract being extended on Friday until the end of 2010, means the dollars are simply drying up for Finch as he heads into his 10th season of first grade.
"Hages [Eels coach Michael Hagan] sat me down two weeks ago and told me it's pretty tight for money and I totally understand," Finch said.
"I was as happy as anyone when they re-signed Inu and Hayne. I was fully aware of the situation if they re-signed. That it would be pretty tough to keep me. I was never selfish, hoping they went anywhere else. They were juniors at Parramatta and it would've been terrible to see them poached away. But I know where it leaves me."
While keen to stay at the Eels after his side came within a lineball video ref decision of a grand final appearance against eventual premiers Melbourne, Finch could become one of the most sought-after players on the open market if he starts this season as he finished 2007.
It marks a stunning turnaround for a player maligned as being on his last chance when he left the Roosters at the end of 2006. He has not spoken to other clubs and none has coming knocking yet.
"But I know there's going to be opportunities for me," he said. "I know there's not many halves on the open market. It's not like I need to prove I can play. It's a weird situation to be in. If I'm playing well I'm sure things will work out.
"I certainly wasn't thinking that my career was dead. The journos might have been thinking that. Michael Hagan didn't think I was dead. The people around me didn't think my career was finished. I knew I was a valuable asset to any team.
"A lot of people don't see what I offer at training with my enthusiasm and talk. The stuff behind the scenes is important."
One lifeline could come in the form of hooker Mark Riddell, who has indicated he might leave after this season with one year remaining on his contract so he can finish his career in England.
Eels football manager Andrew Hill said yesterday: "If Brett receives an offer too good to refuse, then it's likely we couldn't even think of matching it. The club wants to retain him and we're endeavouring to do so. But it will be tight." It has also been suggested that Finch's future could hinge on halfback Smith, who has had alcohol-related issues. As far as Finch is concerned, his halves partner will be alongside him when he returns from shoulder surgery in the early rounds.
"Timmy's good," Finch said. "He's been good for a while now. He's training great and he seems to have a few things sorted out.
"He's a 22-year-old kid. Everyone's made mistakes at that age. I felt he was hung out to dry a bit - not by the club, but some things that were said."

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/finch-set-to-be-squeezed-out/2008/02/16/1202760662997.html

varion

Juniors
Ron Jeremy said:
Parra are kidding themselves re-signing B Smith.

Hope Ben Smith was cheap. Waste of cap space otherwise, he is too slow and cumbersome to be an outside back and not enough leg drive to be a forward.

I would of thought it would of been good to see how he went this yr first in the backrow...big call to sign him now.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
So we have Hindy, Mateo, Wagon, Robinson, Lowrie, Galavao, B.Smith and Hauraki all looking to play in the back row and lock this year. Let alone Tony Williams. Gee this year will be interesting. And in 2009, we will definatly have Hindy, Mateo, Lowrie and Galavao. Looks like Benny will be here to. Some players will definatly be leaving, Hauraki looks like he is a possibility.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I'll reserve my judgement as to whether Ben can make the transition from centre to backrow but one thing is for certain, anyone who believes that he can't do it must not have any confidence on our coaching department.

H and Hages are men that I wouldn't be challenging when it comes to this project, they are probably the most important people in Ben Smiths career right now.

Anyone know the Contract status of Huaraki and Tony Williams?

As for Ben Smith top guy but a VERY average footy player. I believe Hagan may of signed him for Sympathy purposes. I reckon every coach has pet player that they feel sorry for. If I were Hagan I would made sure that Tony Williams and Huaraki are locked up first. Both of these Boys are going to be top players.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Jake the snake said:
Anyone know the Contract status of Huaraki and Tony Williams?

As for Ben Smith top guy but a VERY average footy player. I believe Hagan may of signed him for Sympathy purposes. I reckon every coach has pet player that they feel sorry for. If I were Hagan I would made sure that Tony Williams and Huaraki are locked up first. Both of these Boys are going to be top players.

Tony Williams i think is contracted until the end of 09, Weller's up at the end of the year.

Jake, I don't believe for a moment that Hages would do it as a sympathy signing if he did, we should sack Hages immidiately, thre's no room for back scratchers in this comp, i honestly believe that Hages can turn him into a backrower or else he wouldn't be signing him.

whether he succedes or not is another thing.

strider

Post Whore
yeah i think finchy is more important that it appears .... from everything i've seen on parratv he's one of the best off-field talkers at the club - you need guys like that ..... but having said that, I have no suggestions how to fit him on the roster ???

bartman

Immortal
Hmmm. Seems like a simple equation of Finch or Riddell - we can keep one but not both in 2009.

Here's a smoky tip... Riddell to St Helens in 2009, to take over Keiron Cunningham's dummy half/bench role ;-) . Then Parra offers Finch one more season, and if we're going well at that point of the year he'll take it (and play out of dummy half/bench).

Dutchy

Immortal
Finch > Manly :sarcasm:

I'll take the sarcasm away.

Bell off contract at the end of the season, will probs head to England.

Opens up centre spot for Lyon, then F/E for Finch :)

We need Finchy to play out his career here at Parra and then become a lower grade coach and work his way thru, he will coach 1st grade in the future and I would love it to be with our club.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I think Finchy and Pigs future depends on the development of KK, Mitchell, Trent Hodkinson and Albie Kelly.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I've been offwhile for a while, has hage's said that Benny future is in the backrow???????

Latest posts