What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First coach sacked 2024

So when does Brad Arthur's position become at all in question? NRL 360? Telecrap? Anyone? Well over a decade in charge and hasn't won shit.
He’ll have to wait his turn .

I’m sure 360 will be discussing Demetriou and Hasler on Monday. They’ll probably book in Brad Arthur for Tuesday. lol.

Someguy

First Grade
“They kicked better, they scored three tries off kicks, last-tackle plays, credit to them. They handled it better,” Flanagan said after the Knights taught his team a lesson in wet-weather football.

“Those three kick tries probably was the thing that changed it, and the late try that Kalyn [Ponga] picked up from another kick, we just didn't do that well.”

Flanagan sounds similar to another recent dragons coach

yobbo84

Coach
JD is gone. No way he can save himself now.

FWIW, I don't think there is anything sinister with JD. I really think he is doing the absolute best he can.

He had the perfect credentials for a young coach to step up to NRL. Some people just aren't up to it, and that's fine.

We move on, do our due diligence, and get the best man for the job.

He’s safe. Has the backing of the rich dudes who run the roosters and plenty of credit still in the bank from 3 premierships. If he starts winning spoons they’d probably do something about it but they’re a long way from that.

You can also add in the issues regarding injuries and suspensions. The Roosters, due to injuries and suspensions, have been unable to field its nominal first string side since the 2019 NRL Grand Final. The Tele even wrote a story detailing it (iirc) last week.

Last edited:

Jackie Treehorn

Juniors

FWIW, I don't think there is anything sinister with JD. I really think he is doing the absolute best he can.

He had the perfect credentials for a young coach to step up to NRL. Some people just aren't up to it, and that's fine.

He followed Bennett and failed. Can’t be a coincidence that keeps happening.

Woody90

Juniors

It’s usually more about Bennett than the coach that comes after.

Resigning Bennett would literally be the worst thing Souths could do. Will be back in the same position in 2 years. Need a proper clean out.

Problem is there’s nobody really available.

yobbo84

Coach
You can also add in the issues regarding injuries and suspensions. The Roosters, due to injuries and suspensions, have been unable to filed its nominal first string side since the 2019 NRL Grand Final. The Tele even wrote a story detailing it (iirc) last week.
They're *this* close to seeing the forest for the trees.

Someone will question Robinson's defensive structures one day.

kurt faulk

Coach
“They kicked better, they scored three tries off kicks, last-tackle plays, credit to them. They handled it better,” Flanagan said after the Knights taught his team a lesson in wet-weather football.

“Those three kick tries probably was the thing that changed it, and the late try that Kalyn [Ponga] picked up from another kick, we just didn't do that well.”

Flanagan sounds similar to another recent dragons coach

The difference is Flanagan is just summing up the game factually, giving reasons why the saints were so bad on the night. The drunk was crowing about how great the saints defence was in the game when in reality they were an awful mess that had no idea how to handle things out there.

Wb1234

Immortal

Canard

Immortal
Gotta love the sub editors choice of photo!

Tv Show What GIF by Reconnecting Roots

Jackie Treehorn

Juniors
Record of coaches following Bennett in the NRL:

Ivan Henjak, Broncos:
2009 6th
2010 10th, sacked

Steve Price, Dragons
2012 9th
2013 14th
2014 11th, sacked mid season

Rick Stone, Knights
2015 16th, sacked mid season

Seibold, Broncos
2019 8th
2020 16th, sacked mid season

Demetriou, Souths
2022 6th
2023 9th
2024 Position currently “under review”.

JamesRustle

First Grade

Ivan Henjak, Broncos:
2009 6th
2010 10th, sacked

Steve Price, Dragons
2012 9th
2013 14th

Rick Stone, Knights

Seibold, Broncos
2019 8th

Demetriou, Souths
2022 6th
2023 9th
And out of that list of bunnies, only Seibs has been offered a head coaching role back in the NRL... granted it is Manly.

Wb1234

Immortal

Ivan Henjak, Broncos:
2009 6th
2010 10th, sacked

Steve Price, Dragons
2012 9th
2013 14th

Rick Stone, Knights

Seibold, Broncos
2019 8th

Demetriou, Souths
2022 6th
2023 9th
Even the broncos have struggled post bennett

3 years deals are stupid for bennett

literally a club should do what Paul Morgan did originally and offered him a lifetime contract

dolphins will be the same under woolfe

Munky

Coach
Bennett's contracted job at a club is to perform while he is there.

It's not his responsibility to set a club up for the future.

Until 2023 the Broncos, Knights, Souths and Dragons had not had a better year end finish since Bennett coached them.

A coach seeing out his contract and leaving on their own terms is incredibly rare since most are fired. It's not a job you can succession plan.