What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First coach sacked 2024

Woody90

Juniors
Newcastle post bennett collapse was because the club went broke

While this was definitely part of it, Bennett’s management of most things at the Knights was extremely questionable.

He got rid of the majority of the young roster that had made the finals the previous season and completely filled it with blokes mostly in their 30s on hugely back-ended contracts. In his defence Tinkler had made some ridiculous declaration about Bennett winning us premierships and completely f**king the salary cap up for years to come to bring in a lot of old and experienced heads right away was probably seen as the best way to do that at the time, but for all the changes he made to the roster they only made the finals once finishing 7th. They did go onto make a prelim but they were never a power that year and were never going to win it.

The following year the old blokes he brought in were already slowing down and he pissed off saying that he’d never be able to fix the team despite him handpicking most of the roster. The squad was then completely f**ked and had to play with a team full of kids straight from the under 20s for the next few years.

A lot of other stuff was going on at the Knights at the time, bankruptcy, taken over by the NRL, McKinnon’s injury, all of which further hurt the club immensely but Bennett certainly left us in a worse shape than he took it over. Those 3 consecutive spoons really hurt the club and there’s no doubt now in hindsight his roster management was responsible. I didn’t rate Stone or Brown too much but tbh I don’t think anyone could have avoided the spoon with those sides.

He and Tinkler combined really did a number on the club.

Reflector

Bench
I'd happily take Madge back. Even knowing full well it'd only last a couple of seasons. He wouldn't be scared of anyone.
Looking forward to seeing what he does with the Blues. Granted talk is cheap, but watching his press conference after his announcement as coach, the two words that came to mind listening to him talk about the role were passion and professionalism. Freddy definitely instilled the former, but lacked the latter - and that's where Slater's had the clear edge.

Wb1234

Immortal
While this was definitely part of it, Bennett’s management of most things at the Knights was extremely questionable.

He got rid of the majority of the young roster that had made the finals the previous season and completely filled it with blokes mostly in their 30s on hugely back-ended contracts. In his defence Tinkler had made some ridiculous declaration about Bennett winning us premierships and completely f**king the salary cap up for years to come to bring in a lot of old and experienced heads right away was probably seen as the best way to do that at the time, but for all the changes he made to the roster they only made the finals once finishing 7th. They did go onto make a prelim but they were never a power that year and were never going to win it.

The following year the old blokes he brought in were already slowing down and he pissed off saying that he’d never be able to fix the team despite him handpicking most of the roster. The squad was then completely f**ked and had to play with a team full of kids straight from the under 20s for the next few years.

A lot of other stuff was going on at the Knights at the time, bankruptcy, taken over by the NRL, McKinnon’s injury, all of which further hurt the club immensely but Bennett certainly left us in a worse shape than he took it over. Those 3 consecutive spoons really hurt the club and there’s no doubt now in hindsight his roster management was responsible. I didn’t rate Stone or Brown too much but tbh I don’t think anyone could have avoided the spoon with those sides.

He and Tinkler combined really did a number on the club. I
Prelim final under bennett which they played well in so he did get results fast

he filled the dragons full of old blokes and they won a comp

Reflector

Bench
While simultaneously telling Reynolds how good Brisbane is, how much he'd love it up there, and how good it'd be for his family....
He probably also told Newcastle to keep Dale.

While simultaneously telling her how good Brisbane is, how much she'd love being with an older man, and how good it'd be for her love life...

Fangs

Coach
The Dolphins squad has a number of similarities to the Knights squad of 2013. Full of experience and a number of players most fans consider over the hill. They have exceeded everyone's expectations and currently sit first.

Disappointing that their two main imports are now injured, I was looking forward to them embarrassing the Broncos on Friday night.

Wb1234

Immortal
The Dolphins squad has a number of similarities to the Knights squad of 2013. Full of experience and a number of players most fans consider over the hill. They have exceeded everyone's expectations and currently sit first.

Disappointing that their two main imports are now injured, I was looking forward to them embarrassing the Broncos on Friday night.
According to bennett 2 million under the cap this year too

Here’s another whose facing the sack lol

Fangs

Coach

Poor Des.

Both the Titans and Dolphins should push hard for Ben Hunt's signature. That is if Flanagan will even entertain a 2025 release.

yobbo84

Coach
He wasn’t coaching the broncos

Reynolds also revealed the role Wayne Bennett had in him signing with the Broncos.

“I didn’t really know anyone or have any relationships with anybody at the Broncos, but it was mainly Wayne who talked the club up,” he said.“He had his dramas here, but he didn’t have a bad word to say about the place. I have a lot of respect for Wayne, and when he says nice stuff about a place, I had to listen.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/4c9f816736db3d5a1470904824e0c0e4

Wb1234

Immortal
Reynolds also revealed the role Wayne Bennett had in him signing with the Broncos.

“I didn’t really know anyone or have any relationships with anybody at the Broncos, but it was mainly Wayne who talked the club up,” he said.“He had his dramas here, but he didn’t have a bad word to say about the place. I have a lot of respect for Wayne, and when he says nice stuff about a place, I had to listen.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/4c9f816736db3d5a1470904824e0c0e4

King hit

Coach
Looking forward to seeing what he does with the Blues. Granted talk is cheap, but watching his press conference after his announcement as coach, the two words that came to mind listening to him talk about the role were passion and professionalism. Freddy definitely instilled the former, but lacked the latter - and that's where Slater's had the clear edge.
I’ll admit I’m a bit skeptical of McGuire. I remember when Bellamy coached origin who had no experience with origin and how bad he was. I wasn’t even a senior in high school at the time but I was starting to really understand how the game worked. I was just shaking my head at how awful Bellamy was. Admittedly Madge has had success at the Kiwis but I’m still a bit skeptical

Woody90

Juniors
Prelim final under bennett which they played well in so he did get results fast

he filled the dragons full of old blokes and they won a comp

Actually we lost that prelim final 40-14. Wouldn’t call that playing well. We had 2 really good games under Bennett in 3 years. Not what I’d consider good enough to justify completely ruining the salary cap for years following.

Reflector

Bench

Is it wrong that I started giggling when he walks right up to them and yells "they're f**king shit"?

I would pay good money for some uncensored H/T or F/T footage of Bellamy or Gibson/ Gus back in the day...

Is it wrong that I started giggling when he walks right up to them and yells "they're f**king shit"?

I would pay good money for some uncensored H/T or F/T footage of Bellamy or Gibson/ Gus back in the day...

From all reports Jack Gibson rarely ever sprayed people or his teams. He used understatement to the maximum on most things. One Eels game, Parramatta came in at halftime after playing so poorly they were down by 10-15 points. The players all expected him to have a go at them, but he left them sitting there alone for most of the break. When he came in, they were due to run back out and all he apparently said was "you know what you have to do". The Eels went out and won the game.

Latest posts