What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First coach sacking 2023?

gerg

Juniors
Mal Meninga ain't happy:

Asked whether he imagined that Ben Hunt would join the club, Meninga said he didn’t know.

“I have no idea - I feel ostracised a little bit,” he said.

“I’ve got a bit of thinking to do about what I do in the future - I don’t envisage being part of the club moving forward.”

Oh c'mon Mal. Come back to the Raiders mate. You can continue to do absolutely nothing and we'll reward you handsomely for those (nothing) services. You and Alan Jones will make a striking pair in the coaches box.

Canard

Immortal
Warren Smith said when Des Hasler got sacked from the Dogs "Surely no team will ever give him a head coaching job ever again".

He has had two jobs since then!

Exsilium

Coach
We've got 5 years of being a rabble, No gold coast club has come within a sniff since Moses parted the red sea. Waste of a franchise

Lets be real, no one wants to give Perth a licence. f**k Perth. Keep the Titans in the game. Its better for all of us on LU

Exsilium

Coach
I just read that Mal feels ostracised.

Is this before or after his involvement of the club netted f**k all?

Pretty sure the tap on the shoulder is a sign.

Wb1234

Referee
Only Madge left waiting in the wings now whose a good coach

still got duds like Obrien and seibold. If the roosters wanted to sack Robinson there isn’t anyone better to take over now

appointing inexperienced coaches hasn’t worked out so well payten is having a shocker and Cronulla have struggled to match last year

ryles would’ve been a massive mistake for the dragons they dodged a bullet

Mal Meninga ain't happy:

Asked whether he imagined that Ben Hunt would join the club, Meninga said he didn’t know.

“I have no idea - I feel ostracised a little bit,” he said.

“I’ve got a bit of thinking to do about what I do in the future - I don’t envisage being part of the club moving forward.”

Damn it, i wanted the Knights to pick up Hassler.

Valheru

Coach
Hasler is a good signing for the Titans in my opinion, 18 years as a head coach in the NRL and only 4 unsuccessful (Meaning no finals) seasons, 5 grand finals as well.

Don't know how players feel about him but he seems like a guy that people would want to play for. Ben Hunt for example is probably much more likely to sign for a Des Hasler coached team as opposed to a Holbrook coached team.

Good move by the Titans.

Every team has a dip but Robbo has been pretty bad since winning the grand final in 2019.

2020 - Roosters finish 4th and proceed to be bundled out of the finals in straight sets.

2021 - Struggled to beat the Titans in Round 1 of the finals and then got belted by 36 points the following week to a Manly side that were good but far from the favourites to win the comp.

2022 - Roosters forced to go on a miraculous run to make the finals only to get bundled out in Round 1 of the finals as an undisciplined Roosters outfit get pumped 30-14 by Souths.

2023 - Currently struggling to beat teams destined for the bottom 8. I think the Roosters will sneak into the finals (Probably 7th or 8th) before getting bundled out again in Round 1.

---

With this in mind it might be acceptable for a team that's building but for a Roosters team with many premiership winners in it and star players that would make most other teams starting 17 it is unacceptable.

I don't think they'll get rid of him this year but I think another bad year next year and that might be it for him.

Your analysis of 2021 is lacking to say the least. That was arguably Robbo’s best coaching performance of his career. We only had 11 season ending injuries and 4 retirements. That team had absolutely no business finishing 5th and getting to the 2nd week of finals was an over achievement given the circumstances.

He is nowhere near under pressure IMO. Yes this has been a poor season by our standard so far but we have still won half our games and are only 2 points behind 4th.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Warren Smith said when Des Hasler got sacked from the Dogs "Surely no team will ever give him a head coaching job ever again".

He has had two jobs since then!
Des has made the GF 5 times as coach.

He may be wacky but can get a team up and running.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
'bout f**king time.

Gold Coast just became a threat.

Keep AOB newy, the less real chances the better.

Ponga use to be QLD player, gone backwards like most under him.

SBD82

Coach

This bloke is deadset delusional. From the article;

I had no inkling at all,” he said.

“Steve just called me in this morning and said, ‘Have you got a minute’.

“I went in for a meeting and he said, ‘We are going to terminate you as of right now’.

“I said, ‘Shivers, on what ... performance?’ I said, ‘Mate, I thought you would have given me a chance of getting the guys to the finals with our best players back’.

I mean seriously. How could he not see this coming? Was it based on performance? Of course it was.

dogslife

Coach
To be fair, Des looks like every ex footballer who's retired to the Gold Coast to run a marginally successful personal training business only to pack it in within 2 years and devote their golden years trading on the foreign exchange

Wizardman

First Grade

“I went in for a meeting and he said, ‘We are going to terminate you as of right now’.

“I said, ‘Shivers, on what ... performance?’ I said, ‘Mate, I thought you would have given me a chance of getting the guys to the finals with our best players back’.

I mean seriously. How could he not see this coming? Was it based on performance? Of course it was.
It is brutal....but to be frank, the time for Gold Coast to be brutal has been long overdue. The defence under his tenure has been something he has shown over a long timeframe that he has been unable to fix. When they are off, they are one of the worst defensive teams in the comp. Credit to the Titans for shaking things up.

JamesRustle

First Grade

Artificially high on the ladder due to being the only team to have 3 byes so far... 6 points... 1/3rd of you f**king competition points in byes. f**k off underperformer.

Last edited:

Eelectrica

Referee
Holbrook probably stays if they don’t blow the dogs and Dolphins games. The reality is though the Titans are headed for another losing season.

So 11 games to go. Winning 7 of those 11 seems unlikely.

Latest posts