What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Five added to Roo squad

The Colonel

Immortal
Five added to Roo squad
September 19, 2005

MELBOURNE winger Matt King and Brisbane's Darren Lockyer, Petero Civoniceva, Brent Tate and Justin Hodges were today added to the Australian train-on squad for Tri Series.

The five were included after their teams were eliminated from the NRL finals at the weekend, bringing the squad to 21.

They join Craig Fitzgibbon, Anthony Minichiello, Craig Wing, Willie Mason, Mark O'Meley, Andrew Ryan, Steve Price, Joel Clinton, Craig Gower, Luke Lewis, Luke Rooney, Trent Waterhouse, Danny Buderus, Andrew Johns, Steve Simpson and Ben Kennedy.

AAP

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,16648742-23210,00.html

drake

First Grade
Brisbane's Darren Lockyer, Petero Civoniceva, Brent Tate and Justin Hodges.
I'm actually surprised it was Hodges and not Berrigan.
And where's Carroll? Who will tackle for our hero Locky now?

Mr Saab

Referee
hodges has hada good yr.
Anyway, this is a train on squad, not the final tour team!

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Matt King is the only one who deserves to be there of that lot. Maybe Hodges aswell.

Tate has a couple of good games at the end of the year and makes the squad, yet Grothe has been outstanding all year but will miss it (and they have said he will not be considered because he hasn't played Origin). Civoniceva hasn't done anything, and Lockyer has been very ordinary lately, teams have figured him out and he's out of five-eighth tricks.

JJ

Immortal
is berrigan hurt??

I assume Carroll's out with the hammy - regardless, BK should be well ahead of him

Scott

Bench
Hodges deserves selection in the squad. He won't make the final party, but has had a very good year.

My opinion of him has changed. If he didn't get injured then I actually think he would of made a big impact on this finals series. However, he isn't a winger.

Well done Hodges on a good year.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
JJ said:
is berrigan hurt??

I assume Carroll's out with the hammy - regardless, BK should be well ahead of him

No, Berrigan is just ordinary and the selectors recognised this (finally).

Cletus

First Grade
ParraDude_Jay said:
Matt King is the only one who deserves to be there of that lot. Maybe Hodges aswell.

Tate has a couple of good games at the end of the year and makes the squad, yet Grothe has been outstanding all year but will miss it (and they have said he will not be considered because he hasn't played Origin). Civoniceva hasn't done anything, and Lockyer has been very ordinary lately, teams have figured him out and he's out of five-eighth tricks.

I think they only add players after their team is knocked out so Grothe can still make it.

JJ

Immortal
ParraDude_Jay said:
No, Berrigan is just ordinary and the selectors recognised this (finally).

lol - fair enough. He's had a very good year though...

Mr Saab

Referee
ParraDude_Jay said:

glad you are not a selector...you have no idea how football works

JJ

Immortal
ParraDude_Jay said:

Hodges - pffftt - berrigan well before him.

Lockyer and Civo are certs - Civo is a fine fine prop, he quietly goes about his business and never ever plays badly...

Pigskin

Juniors
If Tate, Petero and Locky tour, will be a pretty fair reflection of where we are at

we may have lost 7 straight to end the season - form is temporary, class is permanent ... we did still run 3rd and if 3 were to tour, i would regard that as fair enough

Tate has been in superb form for the last month, not sure if he should be in front of Cooper and Gasnier, but a worthy #3 centre ... can't help but think a full off-season might be better for him long term though

Locky is out of form also, but will be captain

Oink !

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Onan the barbarian said:
I think they only add players after their team is knocked out so Grothe can still make it.

RLW asked Bob McCarthy and he said the likes of Grothe/Prince/Hodgson etc. would not be considered for whatever reason. He's also said reputation counts more than form when selecting the squad. That's how hacks like Luke Lewis get in I suppose.

The selections are a farce, I'm going to support GB/NZ until Bob McCarthy is sacked.

Charlie Saab said:
glad you are not a selector...you have no idea how football works

Glad you aren't either, the lineup 1 - 17 would be made up of Broncos!

hrundi99

First Grade
Hodges has improved in my eyes as well.

I remember in a game earlier in the year he hit someone in a good solid tackle and the other player wanted to start something but Hodges just stood there with his mouth shut staring at him. Seems like progress to me.

Mr Saab

Referee
ParraDude_Jay said:
Glad you aren't either, the lineup 1 - 17 would be made up of Broncos!

no...no i wouldnt.
I would have 2 Broncos in the team and thats Lockyer and Petero
I would have Grothe on one wing and Tahu on the other
King and Gas as the centres

Happy???

Latest posts