What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Five Gone - Confirmed

Dragon66

Juniors
Via The Dragons Twitter Post:

The St George Illawarra Dragons have confirmed a further three players will depart the club alongside Leeson Ah Mau and Jason Nightingale.

Ah Mau will join the New Zealand Warriors in 2019 on a three-year deal which was announced earlier this year. Ah Mau returns to the Warriors, after making his debut for the Kiwi club in 2009.

Nightingale has announced he will retire at the end of the year with the New Zealand international playing 12 seasons with the joint-venture club and will finish his career as a one-club player.

The club has also announced that Patrick Herbert, Reuben Garrick and Hame Sele will also not be returning to the club in 2019.

possm

Coach
Doesn't have it

Herbert was a very talented and versatile prospect. It is hard for me to understand why SGI did not want to retain him given the poor form shown by our outside backs and the question mark of Dufty. Herbert and Lomax have been selected as the best ISP centres for 2018. I wouldn't be surprised to see him become a star for the Warriors.

gitano

Juniors
Herbert was a very talented and versatile prospect. It is hard for me to understand why SGI did not want to retain him given the poor form shown by our outside backs and the question mark of Dufty. Herbert and Lomax have been selected as the best ISP centres for 2018. I wouldn't be surprised to see him become a star for the Warriors.
He'll continue to be a good reserve grader.

BLM01

First Grade
Because Herbert can attack when he wants, but he was also good for some defensive issues and a brain explosion or 2. Good talent but not 1st grade level yet. Warriors have Beale..say no more. If Warriors can get the best out of Herbert to be a regular 1st grader then good luck to them.
The other 3 except for Ahmau no real backward step there.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Losing Sele is diabolically awful; yet another McGregor/Millward epic failure!

Crazily enough, there are some who stubbornly claim that these two are doing a great job.

BennyV

Referee
Of the 3 youngsters going, Sele is the biggest loss, despite being stuck behind JDB in his natural position. Will turn out to be an excellent first grade forward at minimum. Going to hate seeing him run out in Sharks colours, likely in Gallens old jersey.

Losing Herbert is a shame, should have been given a chance before JP and considering the questionable-at-best form of our current centres, deserved some first grade time this year. Should carve out a solid first grade career.

Garrick...meh!

Dragonslayer

First Grade
More interesting for me were the names not mentioned:

Nene - very strong mail he's gone. Maybe waiting to after the PM1X game and then say he requested a release to be closer to home.

Allgood - remains our only unsigned player but not mentioned as retiring or not being re-signed. Unless he is droppung back to a tier2 player.

Matheson Johns - wasn't he supposed to have signed with Penrith? Yet, he was presented last night as our young Dragons centre.

rednwhites

Juniors
Are we going to do anything genuine to bolster our backline and replace all that experience we've lost with Nightingale leaving? Are we expecting some Fijian winger who's never played first grade to do that? Would be sensational if we had a Bellamy or Bennett that could develop these type of players but we don't so we are going to need to fork out for it. Sitting around and not doing anything is pathetic.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Sele was going to continue to play reserve grade with us, with De Belin locking down (pardon the pun) the number 13 jersey indefinitely and better bench impact options like K.Sims, Lawrie and Leilua, he unfortunately had to be shown the door. Or at least not be held back from a decent shot at first grade with another club.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Are we going to do anything genuine to bolster our backline and replace all that experience we've lost with Nightingale leaving? Are we expecting some Fijian winger who's never played first grade to do that? Would be sensational if we had a Bellamy or Bennett that could develop these type of players but we don't so we are going to need to fork out for it. Sitting around and not doing anything is pathetic.

Basically though:

Ravalawa replaces Garrick
Pearson replaces Herbert (at least Pearson has played a few NRL games)
Blacker replaces Sele

All ISP

rednwhites

Juniors
Who replaces Flo.
CC

Pretty sure the club were hoping we'd just overlook that. Don't be surprised if the Dragons media start spruiking Pereira as the next best thing in the coming weeks. Don't get me wrong, he's been solid and gutsy just like Flo but we are severely under experienced at the back with Lomax, Dufty and Jordan.

Gareth67

First Grade
I believe that Pereira does indeed deserve the vacant wing spot left by Nighty . He certainly done enough in both of the end of season matches , under pressure of semi final football to warrant his place . The man needs time to settle in with the top grade squad and could well become a very solid performer for the Dragons .