What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanagan / Hunt - Explain that.

saintmar

Juniors

Wow I think this exchange and the way the players just capitulated in this game for the first 65 minutes will result in Flanno not extending Hunt. Flanno was hopeful of Hunt being the guy to help steer the team to good things this year, but alas he hasn't on top of the poor defensive coaching of Dean Young.
Lucky our attack is lik a well oiled machine

matPORTS

Juniors
1. Garrick
2. Saab
3. Averillo
4. Wishart
5. Bostock

The speed and size of this 'Dragons Juniors' back five is way better than what has been running out this year, including Lomax and the back ups (+ four out of this five are capable goal kickers as well). At a stretch, maybe I'd keep Lomax instead of Averillo - but no one in the current squad is safe from my wrath today.

How on gods green earth did we ever let this happen???

Again - as I've alluded to in other posts/threads... if we can't sign another capable outside back + another capable forward (be it a middle or a edge) - get Hayden Buchanan and Dylan Egan into the top 30 ASAP.

We can't keep letting this happen while we sign mentally incapable rubbish who are only coming for a pay cheque.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade

hewi

Bench

The Tackle: Shane Flanagan’s blow up at Ben Hunt could mean more uncertainty over captain’s future at the Dragons​

Cameras captured the fiery moment Shane Flanagan dressed down Ben Hunt after the Dragons’ shocking loss to Parramatta. But has the tirade between the coach and skipper also put Hunt’s Dragons future on life support? WATCH THE MOMENT.
Fatima Kdouh Fatima Kdouh
St George Illawarra’s finals hopes are on life support but is Ben Hunt’s future at the club now under the same duress?
Cameras captured the moment Shane Flanagan unleashed a tirade at the skipper after the Dragons’ shocking 44-40 loss to Parramatta with a finals berth on the line.
Flanagan was seen dressing down a despondent Hunt in the sheds at full-time in scenes that will only add uncertainty about Hunt’s future at the Red V.
Hunt was very vocal in agitating for a release from his deal to move to Queensland before Flanagan arrived at the Dragons.
The seasoned coach managed to smooth things over and the club even began talks to extend Hunt beyond 2025.
But Hunt, who has one year left on his deal, has made no secret of wanting out and the fiery dressing room bake could be a tipping point in the delicate relationship the 34-year old has with the club
Flanagan had every right to be filthy at Hunt, and the Dragons, for the display the side dished up against the Eels.
The scoreboard tells a false narrative.
The Dragons were only beaten by four points but were down 44-12 with 10 minutes to go. The Dragons were woeful for 70 minutes and out-enthused in every aspect of the game by a side battling for a wooden spoon.
Flanagan needed every bit of Hunt’s experience on Saturday.
The coach has every right to feel let down.
Hunt is leading the NRL for try assists but has been rocks and diamonds all season long. Flanagan will be wondering if that inconsistency is worth forking out over $1 million a season.
The halfback was in command against the Storm in round 22 but struggled to take control in must win games against Canterbury, Cronulla and now the Eels.
There’s no doubt Hunt has missed his foil in Kyle Flanagan, who is sidelined after copping a four-week ban for biting.
Flanagan has been open about needing to bolster his roster, and the halves should get some attention.
The coach rates rookie Lyhkan King-Togia but beyond that halves stocks are bare.
If it is time for Flanagan to look beyond Hunt the coach should look at luring Dragons local junior Tyran Wishart back to the Red V.
The Melbourne utility will become a free agent from November 1 and has excelled when deputising for Cameron Munster at five-eighth.
His toughness, skill and competitive nature are exactly the traits Flanagan is looking for in his rebuild

since77

Juniors
I've been saying since the first request for a release to let him go. I really like Flanno and what he is trying to build, I just hope he doesn't chose this hill to die on. It wont end well.
Yeah I agree with you and I too would have just let the sook go and lived with the consequences and tried to rebuild this year. Kyle at 7 and whoever floated to the top as 6. I would have copped that and a lower position on the ladder for the freed up salary cap space and the chance to hunt (pardon the pun!) some better forwards and potentially a 6 or 7 that was a better match for our club.
Having said that, I really do understand why Flanno felt like he had to keep him here in his first year. I think most coaches would have done the same thing in his position. We were a better chance of moving up the ladder with him in the team. So I get that. However I would stripped the captaincy off him for the shameful way he behaved last year and given it to someone like S'ua. Then pressure the crap out of Hunt's manager. Ben wants out? Well go and find us a replacement.

I really feel for Flanno in year one. He had a massive mountain to climb. Trying to undo over a decade of bewildering incompetence by a board that had left us with possibly the worst roster in the NRL and made us a destination that no player worth his salt wants to come to. I think poor Flanno has been stuck this year with a lot of round pegs and square holes scenarios and he has just tried to do his best with the terrible roster he inherited. I haven't agreed with every decision he has made but for the most part I understand why he made them (with the exception of continually picking Lawrie).

As for Hunt, what a waste of an era this has been. The club threw all their eggs into one basket for a soulless imposter whose "wonderful" stats completely cover over the fact that he is a terrible game manager, has a weak kicking game and is a piss weak captain who fails in every single clutch moment he is presented with. I can literally remember only one game in the entire time he has been here that he has genuinely led from the front and that was this years Melbourne game. One game in how many years?!?!?!?!?
But the commentators will always talk up his Origin moments and his misleading try assists stats.
I doubt there's anything to the drama that the media is drumming up after the dressing room scenes the other day but I will never be sad to see the back of Hunt if something happens over the offseason. Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Ben.

Dragon David

First Grade
Yeah I agree with you and I too would have just let the sook go and lived with the consequences and tried to rebuild this year. Kyle at 7 and whoever floated to the top as 6. I would have copped that and a lower position on the ladder for the freed up salary cap space and the chance to hunt (pardon the pun!) some better forwards and potentially a 6 or 7 that was a better match for our club.
Having said that, I really do understand why Flanno felt like he had to keep him here in his first year. I think most coaches would have done the same thing in his position. We were a better chance of moving up the ladder with him in the team. So I get that. However I would stripped the captaincy off him for the shameful way he behaved last year and given it to someone like S'ua. Then pressure the crap out of Hunt's manager. Ben wants out? Well go and find us a replacement.

I really feel for Flanno in year one. He had a massive mountain to climb. Trying to undo over a decade of bewildering incompetence by a board that had left us with possibly the worst roster in the NRL and made us a destination that no player worth his salt wants to come to. I think poor Flanno has been stuck this year with a lot of round pegs and square holes scenarios and he has just tried to do his best with the terrible roster he inherited. I haven't agreed with every decision he has made but for the most part I understand why he made them (with the exception of continually picking Lawrie).

As for Hunt, what a waste of an era this has been. The club threw all their eggs into one basket for a soulless imposter whose "wonderful" stats completely cover over the fact that he is a terrible game manager, has a weak kicking game and is a piss weak captain who fails in every single clutch moment he is presented with. I can literally remember only one game in the entire time he has been here that he has genuinely led from the front and that was this years Melbourne game. One game in how many years?!?!?!?!?
But the commentators will always talk up his Origin moments and his misleading try assists stats.
I doubt there's anything to the drama that the media is drumming up after the dressing room scenes the other day but I will never be sad to see the back of Hunt if something happens over the offseason. Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Ben.
Nice report there since77.