What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno assistant coach,,...?

redV06

Juniors
Gould and Flanno have the same manager in Wayne Beavis. Gould might just be helping his manager out by pushing for Flanno so he becomes employable again. Maybe the Dragons are just being used as the vessel for this to happen on.

Slackboy72

Coach
Look if Flanagan can sort out the defence the team is top 8. They can attack despite the lack of strike in the centres.
What killed us this year was comically awful defence.
I can't stress this enough how bad our defence was at times this year.
Well actually I can, I think I have already but the point stands, our defence was the worst I can recall in 40 years of watching the team. At times it was school kid mistakes just giving other teams leg-ups.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Both on and off the field, he is a class act.
Sadly, we get to see the best of his footy abilities only during SOO. Not his fault.

Again, I have nothing but respect for Friz.
Im sorry but I disagree with this, Friz has been absolutely outstanding for us week in week out ever since he signed besides this season. Obviously for various reasons such as injury, morale and other reasons he had a rare average season but every previous season he’s barely played a bad game.

TruSaint

Referee
Im sorry but I disagree with this, Friz has been absolutely outstanding for us week in week out ever since he signed besides this season. Obviously for various reasons such as injury, morale and other reasons he had a rare average season but every previous season he’s barely played a bad game.

Then you have misread my post.
And those previous.

Friz is one our best players... All I said was his potential is realised at SOO.

TruSaint

Referee
Look if Flanagan can sort out the defence the team is top 8. They can attack despite the lack of strike in the centres.
What killed us this year was comically awful defence.
I can't stress this enough how bad our defence was at times this year.
Well actually I can, I think I have already but the point stands, our defence was the worst I can recall in 40 years of watching the team. At times it was school kid mistakes just giving other teams leg-ups.

Agree our defence is an embarrassment.
Mind you, our attack in 2019 was not far behind. Predictable.. Only question for the opp side would be whether the bomb came on 4th or 5th tackle.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Then you have misread my post.
And those previous.

Friz is one our best players... All I said was his potential is realised at SOO.
I still disagree, I think he plays for us to his potential, we don’t win as many games as we would like but it’s not due to him. It’s more the players around him. Especially outside backs. I guess it seems better when he makes a bust in Origin he has people backing up but he still plays extremely well for us just no icing on the cake for his efforts. I’m not going to let this season dampen his legacy. No player besides McInnes can hold their head up high this season but I’m more than confident Friz will be back to the rampaging bull we all know and love next season.

TruSaint

Referee
I still disagree, I think he plays for us to his potential, we don’t win as many games as we would like but it’s not due to him. It’s more the players around him. Especially outside backs. I guess it seems better when he makes a bust in Origin he has people backing up but he still plays extremely well for us just no icing on the cake for his efforts. I’m not going to let this season dampen his legacy. No player besides McInnes can hold their head up high this season but I’m more than confident Friz will be back to the rampaging bull we all know and love next season.

I didnt dampen his legacy. I said, " his potential" is evident at SOO level. Its OBVIOUSLY implied that those around him, and the coach / tactics are pivotal.

I didnt think that needed clarifying.

getsmarty

Immortal
St. George Illawarra gun Tyson Frizell thrilled by the impending arrival of Shane Flanagan

$
:copyright: Provided by Perform Media Channels Limited
Dragons star Tyson Frizell is thrilled at the prospect of working alongside former Sharks mentor Shane Flanagan following the Red V's dreadful 2019 season.

An assistant coaching role is all but confirmed at the Dragons for Flanagan, after he was given the green light to return to the coaching frame by the NRL in September, following his deregistration at the end of last year.

With the Dragons ending the 2019 season with their lowest finish since the joint venture was formed in 1999, the club identified the need for change within the coaching ranks as crucial.

And whilst head coach Paul McGregor was narrowly spared the axed following the club's post-season review, the club moved quickly to speak with Flanagan about deputising him.

The experienced coach himself is favouring the move, having debuted as a St. George player in 1987, and believes he can help turn the club's fortunes around in 2020.

And Frizell, who played under Flanagan as a junior at Cronulla, says he's looking forward to the premiership-winning coach coming on board.

"It's good, I've played under Flanno at the Sharks when I was coming through there," Frizell said ahead of the World Cup Nines tournament.

"He's gone and done a lot of great things at the Sharks, and I think it would be great for our club if he could come in and help out.

"Obviously there's going to be a lot of changes with the playing roster and the coaching staff.

"I guess a fresh start and a few fresh new faces might help us out as a club and as a team."

Frizell likened the Dragons current situation to Parramatta, who after a dreadful 2018 season were the competition's biggest improvers this season, making the quarter-finals.

The Origin backrower knows how crucial adding premiership experienced individuals to a club is, like the Eels did with the recruitment of Blake Ferguson from premiers the Roosters ahead of this season.

And the impending appointment of Flanagan to the Dragons' coaching staff is something Frizell believes could be the game-changer for his side in 2020.

"I guess assistant coach is a different role but Flanno knows what it takes to get to the end there and win a premiership," Frizell added.

"Us as a team, I don't think any of our players have been there at the end and won a premiership.

"So to have a guy like him within the club that's been there and done that helping us do whatever we need to get to the end (will be crucial)."

Even amongst his heavy international involvement over the past week, Frizell has had ample time to reflect on where it all went wrong for the Red V this year.

Outside changes to the coaching staff, and possibly playing roster, the fast-footed backrower is adamant the players' attitudes will be positive when training commences again in a few week's time.

"The season that was wasn't ideal in what we'd planned, come to the start of this year," Frizell said.

"We had our eyes set for the top four and things didn't go our way and we didn't play good footy.

"We just let it get on top of us and we couldn't crawl our way out of it. I know we've got a side to push to the top of the competition.

"We can talk about it as much as we want now but we need to put in the hard work to get ourselves in that position.

"The boys will be hurting early November to getting it down and getting it right."

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rug...mpending-arrival-of-shane-flanagan/ar-AAIPXu4

getsmarty

Immortal
Why Shane Flanagan will give the Dragons exactly what they need
Dragons
  • October 18, 2019 12:00am
  • by George Clarke
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
377056197a462924df74a8e764d211eb

Former Sharks coach Shane Flanagan has landed a job at the Dragons.Source: News Corp Australia
Cronulla prop Andrew Fifita is delighted to see Shane Flanagan back in coaching - even if it is with rivals St George Illawarra.

The Tonga international was a star of the Sharks side under Flanagan, which won the 2016 Grand Final.

Flanagan was set to coach the Sharks this year until an NRL investigation saw him deregistered indefinitely after it emerged he had been in contact with club officials during a year-long ban enforced in the wake of the club’s ASADA scandal.

Less than a year later and Flanagan has been allowed to return to coaching - albeit as an assistant with the Dragons - and Fifita says he’s happy that his former mentor is back doing what he does best.

967f1c81ae5fa12ed59067a2d7639419

former Cronulla coach Shane Flanagan points at Andrew Fifita after winning the 2016 grand final.Source: News Corp Australia
“I’m stoked for him,” Fifita told foxsports.com.au.

“He always has a special place in my heart.

“You talk about the premiership and what he did for me growing up. He’s been there for almost my whole career until this year, I gave him my Dally M trophy - that’s how much he means to me. It’s good for him.

“There’s too much respect when you talk about Shane Flanagan.

“It’s good to see him back. I wish it was our team, but he’s down the road at our local team. I’ll always hold him in the highest regards.”

The much-fancied Dragons slumped to 15th this year, prompting a review into the coaching of Paul McGregor.

Now, with the experience of Flanagan by his side, Fifita is predicting the Red V will be a force in 2020.

“He’s a really good coach. You can’t credit him enough,” Fifita said, before laughing: “Now he’s gone back to assistant - I think he’ll be trying to push for control down there anyway.

“I know Flanno and how he works and what he brings to the team. I think he’ll have the Dragons boys humming down there.”

750923_640x360_large_20191015125354.jpg

'I'd never leave my mate'

Fifita will be part of the Tonga side in the World Cup Nines and is relishing the chance to play in the shortened format.

There is one downside, however, he won’t get to play with brother David.

“I said to Jason (Taumalolo) we’ll take our forwards jerseys off and become the halfbacks,” Fifita said.

“I wish my brother was here because he’d love it too. I’ve seen some of the tries he’s been scoring (in England with Wakefield) and I’ve been like: ‘nah you shouldn’t be scoring tries, making 60m breaks down the touchline and kicking like that’.

“He says: ‘Eats pies scores tries’, he’s got that slogan from me when I was Cronulla’s top tryscorer one year. I can’t wait, Nines is my type of football.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/f1ead9f0ca2e54a181582ff4d35ac54e

BLM01

First Grade
Why Shane Flanagan will give the Dragons exactly what they need
Dragons
  • October 18, 2019 12:00am
  • by George Clarke
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
377056197a462924df74a8e764d211eb

Former Sharks coach Shane Flanagan has landed a job at the Dragons.Source: News Corp Australia
Cronulla prop Andrew Fifita is delighted to see Shane Flanagan back in coaching - even if it is with rivals St George Illawarra.

The Tonga international was a star of the Sharks side under Flanagan, which won the 2016 Grand Final.

Flanagan was set to coach the Sharks this year until an NRL investigation saw him deregistered indefinitely after it emerged he had been in contact with club officials during a year-long ban enforced in the wake of the club’s ASADA scandal.

Less than a year later and Flanagan has been allowed to return to coaching - albeit as an assistant with the Dragons - and Fifita says he’s happy that his former mentor is back doing what he does best.

967f1c81ae5fa12ed59067a2d7639419

former Cronulla coach Shane Flanagan points at Andrew Fifita after winning the 2016 grand final.Source: News Corp Australia
“I’m stoked for him,” Fifita told foxsports.com.au.

“He always has a special place in my heart.

“You talk about the premiership and what he did for me growing up. He’s been there for almost my whole career until this year, I gave him my Dally M trophy - that’s how much he means to me. It’s good for him.

“There’s too much respect when you talk about Shane Flanagan.

“It’s good to see him back. I wish it was our team, but he’s down the road at our local team. I’ll always hold him in the highest regards.”

The much-fancied Dragons slumped to 15th this year, prompting a review into the coaching of Paul McGregor.

Now, with the experience of Flanagan by his side, Fifita is predicting the Red V will be a force in 2020.

“He’s a really good coach. You can’t credit him enough,” Fifita said, before laughing: “Now he’s gone back to assistant - I think he’ll be trying to push for control down there anyway.

“I know Flanno and how he works and what he brings to the team. I think he’ll have the Dragons boys humming down there.”

750923_640x360_large_20191015125354.jpg

'I'd never leave my mate'

Fifita will be part of the Tonga side in the World Cup Nines and is relishing the chance to play in the shortened format.

There is one downside, however, he won’t get to play with brother David.

“I said to Jason (Taumalolo) we’ll take our forwards jerseys off and become the halfbacks,” Fifita said.

“I wish my brother was here because he’d love it too. I’ve seen some of the tries he’s been scoring (in England with Wakefield) and I’ve been like: ‘nah you shouldn’t be scoring tries, making 60m breaks down the touchline and kicking like that’.

“He says: ‘Eats pies scores tries’, he’s got that slogan from me when I was Cronulla’s top tryscorer one year. I can’t wait, Nines is my type of football.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/f1ead9f0ca2e54a181582ff4d35ac54e
Has landed...yep past tense.
Has Dragons club announced it yet or is it still a secret?...oops not anymore..FOX has let the Flanno out of the bag
Maybe the Dragons will wait to Dec 18 to avoid NRL getting suspicious about him starting any assistant work before the allowed come back date. :rolleyes:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I didnt dampen his legacy. I said, " his potential" is evident at SOO level. Its OBVIOUSLY implied that those around him, and the coach / tactics are pivotal.

I didnt think that needed clarifying.
No I just feel people forget how good he is after one bad season, he is usually our McInnes at club and Origin level.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Has landed...yep past tense.
Has Dragons club announced it yet or is it still a secret?...oops not anymore..FOX has let the Flanno out of the bag
Maybe the Dragons will wait to Dec 18 to avoid NRL getting suspicious about him starting any assistant work before the allowed come back date. :rolleyes:

In typical Dragons style they wait until ALL football has finished for the season. We don't like to upset the thought processes of our players.

Bench
As stated above by Fifita knows Flanno and how he works and what he brings to the team. I think he will have the Dragon Boys humming down there.
Maybe we are going to get a humming coach.

St Georgio

Juniors
The signing of Flanno is the best move the Dragons have made since Bennett left the club,
I believe he will work really well with our supercoach, my biggest concern is after his 2 years is up. Supercoach will take full credit for rise of the Dragons, the board will extend his contract 4 rounds into 2021 and Flanno will sign with a rival club for 2022.