What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno assistant coach,,...?

Slackboy72

Coach
Yet some here still believe that he will be given further dispensation to coach in 2021, or even half way through 2020.
Wont happen.
He has dialed a friend, asked the audience and so forth.
If, and its a big if, he is around the Club after 2 years as assistant, then maybe he gets a shot.
I suspect that he will have more control than most assistants. Mary has to know we are securing Flanagan for 2022. Whoever heard of a club appointing an assistant without being told to by the head coach? He will take his pay, say the shit a coach has to say and let Flanagan do his thing. Flanagan is our head coach now in everything but title. Or he will be in December.
Just make sure the cameras don't spy him giving the half-time talk.

BLM01

First Grade
I suspect that he will have more control than most assistants. Mary has to know we are securing Flanagan for 2022. Whoever heard of a club appointing an assistant without being told to by the head coach? He will take his pay, say the shit a coach has to say and let Flanagan do his thing. Flanagan is our head coach now in everything but title. Or he will be in December.
Funny you say that. Plenty of assistants do the half time speech thing. JD for benny and even Cronk for Robbo.
Cant even get Flanno on that one!...I'd say as long as he does not do the post game PC's unless Mary spits the dummy..or at training or captain runs have Mary sit in a chair in the sun or rain and make it look like he is in charge with a coach cap on waving his arms madly when the cameras come in.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I hope Flanno is allowed to run the show. Even if it looks like Mary is doing so. As far as I can see Mary's a Dead Man Walking.
But will be coach by name only next year.
At least I sincerely hope I'm correct

I hope so too Samy.

My highly speculative theory is that McGregor will start the season, however, unless there is a significant change to the teams performances, at some stage he will be sacked. Maybe his contract has a trigger clause, or maybe he throws in the towel (pushed maybe). Obviously, Flanno (again if he signs on) cannot assume the role of head coach. Enter Millward as puppet head coach, after all once the season has started and squads are filled, theres not much for him to do. Flanno will do the coaching behind the scenes and Millward just turns up to training. I see us approaching the NRL at the end of 2020 for a further review of Flanno's case, with the new NRL chief V'landys (who apparently is a Dragons supporter), in hope for him to agree to him becoming head coach (maybe with some restrictions). Millward goes back to his recruitement role and all is fine and dandy.
Its why I believe Flanno will be given the CC squad first up.

Lots of "maybies" in the above, but I feel this is the scenario they are looking at.

jak

Bench
I hope Flanno is allowed to run the show. Even if it looks like Mary is doing so. As far as I can see Mary's a Dead Man Walking.
But will be coach by name only next year.
At least I sincerely hope I'm correct
and be able to leave on his terms after passing on ALL his knowledge to his successor whoever that may be

Dragonsamy

Bench
I hope so too Samy.

My highly speculative theory is that McGregor will start the season, however, unless there is a significant change to the teams performances, at some stage he will be sacked. Maybe his contract has a trigger clause, or maybe he throws in the towel (pushed maybe). Obviously, Flanno (again if he signs on) cannot assume the role of head coach. Enter Millward as puppet head coach, after all once the season has started and squads are filled, theres not much for him to do. Flanno will do the coaching behind the scenes and Millward just turns up to training. I see us approaching the NRL at the end of 2020 for a further review of Flanno's case, with the new NRL chief V'landys (who apparently is a Dragons supporter), in hope for him to agree to him becoming head coach (maybe with some restrictions). Millward goes back to his recruitement role and all is fine and dandy.
Its why I believe Flanno will be given the CC squad first up.

Lots of "maybies" in the above, but I feel this is the scenario they are looking at.

Dragonslayer
All very plausible but knowing how the dragons are run at the moment probably won't happen but would be fantastic if it did I don't think you are not far off

Last edited:

slippery5

Juniors
As quoted by Fifita
"I think he will be trying to push for control down there anyway"

TruSaint

Referee
Im not even sure Flanno is a done deal.

As to the concept that he will run the team with Mary taking a backseat role, sorry, I dont believe it. Flanno needs to adhere to whatever terms the NRL set forth in their decision to allow him back even as an assistant coach. We are not privy to those terms.

The counter argument would be " how will the NRL know , what determines the role of an assistant, etc "..
Only the Club and Flanno know what restrictions have been placed on him, and how that will be monitored.

Mary has shown even with his inept leadership, he is a survivor. To last as long as he has, with a dismal record is evidence. If he feels threatened, esp after a good start, it would not surprise me at all if somehow a breach of Flanno's role was suddenly leaked to the NRL. He has thrown many under the bus and will do so again to keep his job.

Flanno will be very careful and not overstep his role. If he is there in 2021, he may have a fulltime job.
His second ban from the NRL came as a result of emails... Its that simple..

jak

Bench
Im not even sure Flanno is a done deal.

As to the concept that he will run the team with Mary taking a backseat role, sorry, I dont believe it. Flanno needs to adhere to whatever terms the NRL set forth in their decision to allow him back even as an assistant coach. We are not privy to those terms.

The counter argument would be " how will the NRL know , what determines the role of an assistant, etc "..
Only the Club and Flanno know what restrictions have been placed on him, and how that will be monitored.

Mary has shown even with his inept leadership, he is a survivor. To last as long as he has, with a dismal record is evidence. If he feels threatened, esp after a good start, it would not surprise me at all if somehow a breach of Flanno's role was suddenly leaked to the NRL. He has thrown many under the bus and will do so again to keep his job.

Flanno will be very careful and not overstep his role. If he is there in 2021, he may have a fulltime job.
His second ban from the NRL came as a result of emails... Its that simple..
totally agree

TruSaint

Referee
totally agree

@jak, i know its not a popular opinion and I hope Im wrong, however I am not getting my hopes up that Flanno would risk a 3rd strike with the NRL... If I were Flanno, I would keep to whatever parameters the NRL said, and hope that he does enough to get the 1st grade gig afterwards. A text / an email / a complaint by a player agent, a disgruntled player, suggesting Flanno was involved in critical coaching decisions would ruin him.. Again, we don't know the full extent of the restrictions but Greenberg did say that he will be monitored as part of their decision to reduce his ban.

TruSaint

Referee
Not sure if its been posted, but interesting when he was cleared by the NRL, Flanno made his intentions known. He wants to go back to Cronulla.

Flanagan is eligible for registration from December 18 after speaking with Greenberg last Friday.

Asked if he hoped to one day return to Cronulla, Flanagan said: "Definitely one day but I wouldn't say in the near future".

Sharks great Paul Gallen hoped Flanagan would again hold the Cronulla reins.

"There is no reason why it can't happen one day," he told 100% Footy.

"But right now the Dragons (assistant role) is an obvious one. They have had a similar setup for a few years now and they have achieved nothing."

https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league/banned-coach-flanagan-ready-for-nrl-return-c-468862

blacksafake

First Grade
Not sure if its been posted, but interesting when he was cleared by the NRL, Flanno made his intentions known. He wants to go back to Cronulla.

Flanagan is eligible for registration from December 18 after speaking with Greenberg last Friday.

Asked if he hoped to one day return to Cronulla, Flanagan said: "Definitely one day but I wouldn't say in the near future".

Sharks great Paul Gallen hoped Flanagan would again hold the Cronulla reins.

"There is no reason why it can't happen one day," he told 100% Footy.

"But right now the Dragons (assistant role) is an obvious one. They have had a similar setup for a few years now and they have achieved nothing."

https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league/banned-coach-flanagan-ready-for-nrl-return-c-468862
A nice short jab to the ribs at the end by Gallen.
:100: true though.

jak

Bench
@jak, i know its not a popular opinion and I hope Im wrong, however I am not getting my hopes up that Flanno would risk a 3rd strike with the NRL... If I were Flanno, I would keep to whatever parameters the NRL said, and hope that he does enough to get the 1st grade gig afterwards. A text / an email / a complaint by a player agent, a disgruntled player, suggesting Flanno was involved in critical coaching decisions would ruin him.. Again, we don't know the full extent of the restrictions but Greenberg did say that he will be monitored as part of their decision to reduce his ban.
still totally agree mate, my feeling with flanno is its got more to do with the nrl making both the club and flanno jump through a number of hoops and cross a lot of tees and dot a lot of I,s. I think that's the main reason thinks have be so quiet from the club.