What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno's New Signings

I'd say, we are on the nose with many key player managers. We need to address this situation immediately. I'm sure someone other than Flannagan is negotiating these deals and it is time that our CEO and Board put a stop to it. The days when the likes of Doust, Young, Haran, and Millward had anything to do with recruitment should no longer be the case. I'd also be interested in finding out if Millard was Flannagan's choice for a new recruitment officer.

Maybe it is again the case of key figures at the Club wanting to make the deals rather than doing what is in the best interest of the Club. Whoever it is doing the deals right now, should be stood down for incompetence.

Recruitment v Coach is an enlivening topic.

There’s that story of Madge and our former recruitment chief, having a very heated discussion at the airport once in public.

Not the best time to ask for a signature.

It’s also well known that Benji and our current guy, Fulton, they weren’t actually talking to each other for awhile over the salad signing.

I suppose my point is that these relationships are important and often tense.

But I don’t think flanno will tolerate being screwed with. He’s hungry for success.
I remember he was babysitting Mary with Dean, but the coaching by committee didn’t work for too long.

I think it was good in terms of his learning about the club etc.

Ryles is a pussycat. Turns down $800k to hide behind a door when bellyache goes off.

If flanno can’t produce something with this side, no one else can.

There’s some good players, but like us, you need some class here and there.

Last edited:

Murfy

Juniors
The Volkman deal is done. Staff is on Xmas/Ny break so the deal will be announced when the players return for training. They will want to use a photo of Volkman in Dragons gear so it will be uploaded with quotes from him and other staff sometime on their first day back

Volkswagen is a young depth signing I think, less than a handful of games in the nrl proper. Went Ok.

It’s always handy to have a young half at the ready who can play in the backs at a pinch.

As we know, the first 12 rounds wreak havoc on the games with injury across all the clubs.

I think the mantra of “always play your strongest side” at the start of the season is fine for big strong clubs, but us more troubled sides, I think we could be more selective.

So it would be ok to give him some game time away at Brisbane, against a powerful side.

Flanno has find his combinations and build quietly.

The good thing about the game today, so many players fall of the perch at the clubs they are at and suddenly become available. You’ve got that AFB fighting fund. I was neutral when you missed him, but it would be nice to know the insider on his dramatic change of heart.

That’s the other thing about recruitment, apart from looking a few years ahead, you need something in the kitty to draw on quickly if a good player hits the market unexpectedly.

Plus you have your targets but always a plan b and c.

Flanno used other players at the sharks to attract talent. Thus Gal was assigned to capture Wade Graham. Which he achieved. Wade has spoken about it.

I’m not sure which Saints player has the same aura. You guys might know.

Last edited:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I have no doubt if a big gun all of a sudden becomes available, Gus will some how have heaps of funds available and arrange a secret coffee to be in the mix. I can imagine what he says about the other teams like Saints to turn them off and think about joining them during those coffee's.

I have no doubt if a big gun all of a sudden becomes available, Gus will some how have heaps of funds available and arrange a secret coffee to be in the mix. I can imagine what he says about the other teams like Saints to turn them off and think about joining them during those coffee's.

Yeah, I think last year there was rumours of them having to cull marquee they’d signed but hadn’t actually played for them yet!

I loved that bulldogs players dissent about having to start training at 830am.

Outrageous and ungodly hour to arrive for work.

Especially for ex Penrith players.

I live out here. No one gets up before lunchtime if we can possible help it.

We are not morning people.

Ivan’s players probably get up at 2 in the afternoon. Full training then hit the Penrith nightclubs.

Seems to work too!

Over at wt we are cancelling the pre season away trip bonding sessions this year.

3 weeks in the PNG swamps playing survivor.

The reason is as soon as players have got to know each other at that deeper meaningful brotherly love trench level, they learn to ‘ken hate and mistrust each other.

Leading to hogging the ball and the ensuing spoon.

In camp during the quicksand test last year , many players actually submerged and started choking as no one reached out to them.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
if you watched ressie games in decades gone past we all would have said that Sowie guy at the Roosters was pretty electric at FB

Brownie did so well to make the deal happen with Pappa Nick and for Brownie to know he had the capacity to be a serious 5/8 was great vision

My gut feeling is that VW may even jump ahead of Amone's impact on a game.

It is worse than 50/50 odds and maybe KFlano will be a very important player to start the season as a steady hand

who knows with players on the cusp................sometimes that right time right coach right team happens.

There was 25 or so that made that happen in the NRL last year from nowhere...........that is 1.5ish per club

Paul Turner fit would be bloody scary..........that guy steps like not many in the comp

oooops i just woke up..............i think i was dreaming again :)

Dragon David

First Grade
Basically a lot of us are wishful thinkers and that all is well if this happened and that happened.

What else can we do? If we had as many signings as the Bulldogs and even the Tigers (Luai now looking very likely to be there in 2025), instead of us being wishful we might be talking up the team in a way that things will happen rather than hoping they will.

I really can't wait to see how we go against the Bunnies and Tigers in the trial games. Good teams to test our guys.

Gomarchin

Juniors
All Gus has to say is "Why would you want to go to the Dragons? Even their captain and best player wants to get out of there."

Forget the drive to Wollongong, the losses, the position on the table etc. The major reason we have struggled to sign anyone is because our captain/best player wanted out and was very vocal and public about it.

Mojo

Bench
That would be a huge turn off hearing the capt wanting out ASAP. If there is ever a red flag to look for that has to be it.
This - and the publicity seeking way he went about it - is a disgrace. The Captaincy should have been taken from him and he should have been given the release. IMO he’s been a disaster for this club and it’s beyond redemption.

Dragon David

First Grade
Hunt's wanting out of the club and the way he went about it was terrible to say the least. He damaged the proud name of the Dragons from those moments he kept up with his charade.

From those moments, all of the players from other teams would have heard, read and seen him carry on about wanting out badly making us look a club not worthy of playing for.

Hunt has damaged us so much that even an apology by him on every medium would not rectify what he has done. Once put in the mind of many, stays for a long time.

Flanno's keeping him on could be his downfall.

Batman251

Juniors
:y
Volkswagen is a young depth signing I think, less than a handful of games in the nrl proper. Went Ok.

It’s always handy to have a young half at the ready who can play in the backs at a pinch.

As we know, the first 12 rounds wreak havoc on the games with injury across all the clubs.

I think the mantra of “always play your strongest side” at the start of the season is fine for big strong clubs, but us more troubled sides, I think we could be more selective.

So it would be ok to give him some game time away at Brisbane, against a powerful side.

Flanno has find his combinations and build quietly.

The good thing about the game today, so many players fall of the perch at the clubs they are at and suddenly become available. You’ve got that AFB fighting fund. I was neutral when you missed him, but it would be nice to know the insider on his dramatic change of heart.

That’s the other thing about recruitment, apart from looking a few years ahead, you need something in the kitty to draw on quickly if a good player hits the market unexpectedly.

Plus you have your targets but always a plan b and c.

Flanno used other players at the sharks to attract talent. Thus Gal was assigned to capture Wade Graham. Which he achieved. Wade has spoken about it.

I’m not sure which Saints player has the same aura. You guys might know.

It’s pretty clear Hunt wants to represent himself before any club.

He knew his comments would get him into trouble, he’s beyond caring I think.

Made his fortune, now he’s in the “me” zone. And he knows no one else is right.

But flanno has kept him for a reason and i doubt it’s because he cares much about him.

It’s purely business.

No doubt when Hunt took part in Gus’s review his lack of Dragons DNA skewed the entire playing group down 100 points and into negative territory.

Hence the conclusion that the players were lost souls.

He’s a very disturbed and dark soul to have values like that. Bad influence on all he meets.

Last edited:

Illusion

Bench

But flanno has kept him for a reason and i doubt it’s because he cares much about him.

It’s purely business.

No doubt when Hunt took part in Gus’s review his lack of Dragons DNA skewed the entire playing group down 100 points and into negative territory.

He’s a very disturbed and dark soul to have values like that. Bad influence on all he meets.
X2 ........

Crush

Coach

It’s purely business.

I think people forget what actually happened.
Hunt said he hoped that the board would back in his friend, Anthony Griffin, because they were building and he didn’t want to “start again”
Then they fired Griffin and Hunt asked for a release shortly after.
That’s it, that’s all. It’s personal.

Latest posts