What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno's New Signings

56to66

Juniors
Beggers can't be Choosers, I think he deserves a chance to work with a more experienced coach. He has only been coached by two rookie coaches, one of whom was a failure and the other who is still unproven.The Bulldogs have been losing by huge margins. Maybe Flanno can help him improve his performance, since training hard every week and still losing on weekends by cricket scores must be demoralizing

Victoire

Juniors
I think the likes of Ciraldo (coming from a powerhouse Panthers system) & Gus (decades of success) would be able to differentiate between a captain voicing the playing groups concerns & an attitude problem from said captain. I think i'll side with Ciraldo & Gus on this one. The dogs have given him every opportunity to succeed. They're desperate for middles yet still released him which is telling.
Trent Barrett came from the same powerhouse system and has been proven to be a dud. While Gus may have helped set up the structure for the Panthers success, the club outgrew him and the culture is now all Cleary. I wouldn't be giving either of them the benefit of the doubt here.

Olsen Filipaina's biography The Big O covered extensively how his career was virtually ruined by the coaching of Frank Stanton - a so-called "old-school" cranky my-way-or-the-highway style coach who lacked the sensitivity or flexibility to deal with cultural differences, specifically with young Polynesian players. Olsen was a pioneer, so he never had a senior teammate, much less a captain, with the same cultural background to relate to. In this day and age with the growing prevalence of Polynesian kids in NRL such a failing would be a death sentence for a coach.

justadragon

Bench
The only thing we can do is wish him all the best and give him a fair go, we dont really know all the in's and out's of the inner sanctum, especially at the Bulldogs. We took on George Burgess who imo was in a much worse off state. We have Flanno now to keep a good eye on things and we need to believe in him. What I do like though is the way this was done, stealth perfect, which suites us fine. Who knows who else is being quietly worked on. Welcome RFM play your guts out mate for the Dragons !!!

JubileeJeffro

Juniors
The only thing we can do is wish him all the best and give him a fair go, we dont really know all the in's and out's of the inner sanctum, especially at the Bulldogs. We took on George Burgess who imo was in a much worse off state. We have Flanno now to keep a good eye on things and we need to believe in him. What I do like though is the way this was done, stealth perfect, which suites us fine. Who knows who else is being quietly worked on. Welcome RFM play your guts out mate for the Dragons !!!
I think your last sentence sums up what we want from all players wearing the mighty Red V.
Flanno is no goose, its pretty easy to see we don't have a strong squad, but if he can lift the players to at least put in 110% each week, work hard for each other and the supporters and get them to buy into the process for the rebuild required we will be hard to beat, and become more attractive to those on the outside to come and join in 25/26.
We lost so many games at home last year.. i would start the focus there... make it a fortress again, get the supporters back in droves at least for home games and get this once great brand back to where it should be.
We have the best supporters, it's up to the team to now deliver more than is expected of them.. true underdog time!! Let's become the Wrexham story of the NRL.
Maybe I am a fool but I have put $100 on us to make the 8. At $6 this will give me a good night out to celebrate at the end of of the year... lets see how we go.

Dragon David

First Grade
I think your last sentence sums up what we want from all players wearing the mighty Red V.
Flanno is no goose, its pretty easy to see we don't have a strong squad, but if he can lift the players to at least put in 110% each week, work hard for each other and the supporters and get them to buy into the process for the rebuild required we will be hard to beat, and become more attractive to those on the outside to come and join in 25/26.
We lost so many games at home last year.. i would start the focus there... make it a fortress again, get the supporters back in droves at least for home games and get this once great brand back to where it should be.
We have the best supporters, it's up to the team to now deliver more than is expected of them.. true underdog time!! Let's become the Wrexham story of the NRL.
Maybe I am a fool but I have put $100 on us to make the 8. At $6 this will give me a good night out to celebrate at the end of of the year... lets see how we go.
Good luck with your bet JubileeJeffro.

Being positive is the way to go.

We have got to remember that the first half of the comp is just the settling in period, it is the second half that will count and while I'm hoping that we win all 5 home games in the first half of the comp and a couple away games, that would give us 14 points and then we win all 7 home games in the second round and a couple of away, that would give us another 18 points plus 2 byes- we make the final 8 easy peasy. Well I do like to dream once in a while hahah!.

Dragon David

First Grade
I'd like to see this guy at our club. Big and Strong and Fast but only 18 and has years ahead of him playing league. Currently signed with the Titans (who have got big guys in their team which I am envious of) but is strongly linked to boxing for a few years and aiming to be the heavyweight champion of the world.

After boxing, if he doesn't suffer from brain damage, he will be in demand at say age 23-24 from several leagues clubs I'd say. Better keep a watch on him Flanno.

Alex Leapai Jr https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/88f7f1950292f7391b895a4efb69420a

possm

Coach
1.Sloan 2.Lomax 3.Bird 4.Suli 5. Rava 6. Hunt 7. Flanno 8. Lawrie 9. Liddle 10. F molo 11. Sele 12. Sua 13. Debelin .M molo, Russell, RFM, Couchmans, Egan, Eisenhuth the Manly signings the bench is a mystery
Lomax is wasted on the wing. So, Lomax to stay at center and Sloan to fullback. If Sloan does not step up, then Lomax to fullback.

With the signing of this Manly winger, and lomax in the centers, Bird will wear the 14 jumper.

Dragon David

First Grade
It is amazing that RFM was the last of the squad that the Bulldogs had in 2021. Since Gus Gould came as their GM of Football, he has completely cleaned out the players from 2021 and it is expected that the 2024 squad will be so much better than those players that have been turfed. Will the 2024 team be in the top 8 - I hope not!

Slippery Morris

First Grade
It's articles like this that make me sick which are written just for Gus to look amazing. Does he tell journalists what to write or what?

The facts are this:-
2017 Dogs finished 11th (-95) 24 pts, 2018 Dogs finished 12th (-46) 18pts. 2019 12th (-151) 22 pts. 2020 15th (-222) 8 pts. 2021 (-370) 8 pts Wooden Spoon, 2022 (-192) 12th 16 pts and 2023 (-331)15th.

2017 - 2019 - worst finish was 12th and (-151). 2020 - 2023 - Worst finish last and -370. They finished on 22pts in 2019 and it took until mid 2023 (2.5 seasons) to eclipse 22 points.

They won a total of 25 games during 2017-19 and 10 the last 3 years but lets all believe Gus has turned it around.

I really feel for Dean Pay as he had a backline of DWZ, Meaney, Remis Smith, Montoya all who play in top 8 teams mind you coming through at the time (apart from DWZ) only to get that backline dismantled. I am sure if they had that backline it would be much better now after 5 years together than the current one. His pack was not the best but managed 12th minimum. Gus brings in guys like Tevita Junior now gone plus others to bolster the pack and they finish much lower. What a joke.

Watene-Zalezniak for Addo-Carr - DWZ got Daly M winner of the year 2023
Marshall-King for Mahoney - Mahoney most missed tackles in 2023
Nick Cotric and Nick Meaney and Will Hopoate are pretty handy replaced by Chrichton / Kiraz / Xerri. Is it really that much of an upgrade. Crichton is a step up but I would rather the other 3 let go than Xerri or Kiraz.

The bigger question is in 3 years how can any team under a salary cap turn over a 30 man squad in 3 years? On average 10 players a year? When was the last time you saw a team bring in 10+ players in a season? From memory when Dean Pay Left their salary cap was clean and Baz came in and brought in players like Addo-Carr, Kyle Flannagan, Burton, TPJ etc on big coin.

I am really interested to see how he goes if the Dogs manage to get less than 12th this season what happens then. If they see that as a significant step forward then their expectations at Board level are lower than Saints and that is saying something but somehow I don't think the Dogs are than forgiving as history shows. Whatever the case the media will say what a wonderful job Gus is doing even if he comes 2nd last and say 2025 will be his year.

Nutz

Bench
It is amazing that RFM was the last of the squad that the Bulldogs had in 2021. Since Gus Gould came as their GM of Football, he has completely cleaned out the players from 2021 and it is expected that the 2024 squad will be so much better than those players that have been turfed. Will the 2024 team be in the top 8 - I hope not!

I hope not :)
If gus wants to clean out the dead wood and the toxic atmosphere like Richo has done at the WT then Gus should sack himself.

Yes, the Dogs freeing up the cap so that they can sign all three May boys is what I think. While the May boys might be good, having all three at the one club could spell danger one day because if one gets the shits and told off or gets into some off field trouble and gets the sack - the others will most probably want to go. It is like an owner assigned all of his real estate investments to the one agency and the agency effs up on one of them then the owner would take all of his investments off that agency and give to another. I've seen that happen. I know that this is has nothing to do with league, but is some sort of example.
The May brothers all at one club, only works if that club is like Roosters, Storm who know how to handle those situations any other clubs watch out

Slippery Morris

First Grade
The NRL should simply not register him unless he plays for the Dogs. Seeing he only left to chase a boxing career. Not even the off season went past and he wants to return. If it was a year or so you can understand him missing the game but 1 off season? Not sure if he did the dirty or the Dogs to get rid of him and pay his out to get him off the cap. I say the latter as he would have been on big dollars. Whatever the case, he should be made to honour the contract if he comes back to the NRL with the club and Dogs should have to put him in the Cap. Otherwise any player can now follow suit and say they want to chase a boxing career then sign up a few months later for another club.