What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno's New Signings

matPORTS

Juniors
LL for $900k per season? Surely that kind of money is better spent elsewhere?

Who in the Cowboys footballing department signed off on the current deal? The Tigers footballing department also has a lot to answer for, because he was clearly on an over-inflated salary there as well before getting squeezed out mid-way through 2022. Not to mention, he was recently charged with low range drink driving (great to see that Mary's mentoring hasn't worn off).

Additionally, as well as simply leaving some money in the kitty to see what other options come onto market during the coming season, there will possibly be players who end up having break out seasons under Flanno - who will then be commanding upgrades in 2025 & beyond ... for us only to then be disappointed when they end up having to leave due to a salary cap squeeze.

... and this is the problem we have had now for a very long time. We have had zero long term thinking for the best part of the last 12 seasons, and that not only goes for the club + footballing department but also a good majority of the fan base who expect excellence immediately.

Given we are a day out from the pre-season games, and three weeks out from the season proper, we need to accept the roster we have and accept the fact that we are in a transitional year.

If we can get the next two seasons right by:

- Driving standards through the club from the bottom up
- Clearing out any further deadwood that remains
- Creating internal competition for spots through our reserve grade and junior teams
- Making smart and astute signings from the open market

We can have a real tilt in about 2026, and who knows, we may even get some great results in 2024 & 2025 that bring a sense of optimism & pride back to the entire brand.

Luciano Leilua in my humble opinion:

- Is not someone who is going to meet the standards we need to be driving
- Was already somewhat deadwood that was previously cleared out
- Is someone, given the rumoured high salary, is going to hold back promising juniors from coming through
- Is not a smart and astute signing from the open market

Last edited:

TheRev

Coach
A reminder of the average pay of the Top 5 2nd rowers in the NRL:
o 2023: $753,000.

Adding a 25% Cap Increase would be a value of:
o 2024: $941,000

Now I understand Luciano is not Top5... hes probably in the 11-20 bracket... and Flanno is a tightarse so we will probably lowball him (+ frontload the contract while we have spare cash), but the numbers are not as absurd as being carried on.. and thats not even including a hefty wooden spooner tax.

Note: Source is the MMM podcast that gave us a list of all the players values by position (which the clubs and player managers use during negotiation).

56to66

Juniors
I don't think $900000 a season is lot of money, considering back in 1996 during the superleague war, average players were getting nearly $500000 season, for that money you could have bought 3 houses in Dundas on a 1000 square meter block, I know for a fact.
Today your lucky to get a 2 bedroom unit for $900000. But again, according to J Hooper we'll be getting ripped off, but you know if he goes too lets say Canberra, it will be a case that, he's gone to a team with the potential of playing finals football, no mention about dollars!

Dragonslayer

First Grade
We already have 30 contracted players. LL would be a good addition, however, at 900k it's not even feasable.

Now Tartak is doing his job. Here's our price, match or we go elsewhere.
Flanno and Co doing there job. Here's our price, take it or leave it.

At this stage it's a leave it scenario. As 900k for 4yrs would inevitably stuff our salary cap yet again.

qld redvee

Juniors
We already have 30 contracted players. LL would be a good addition, however, at 900k it's not even feasable.

At this stage it's a leave it scenario. As 900k for 4yrs would inevitably stuff our salary cap yet again.
not to mention both sua and luch at 4 years would seriously hamper our next 'big things' coming through so how many would depart for greener pastures - and you dont need luch running around reserve grade with that $

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade

Yep I agree......at 900 k thats way over what hes worth.....the last time we shelled out big dollars and it stuffed our cap was for our half back and sadly imo hes not exactely added much fruit to the sideboard

slippery5

Juniors
He was 5-10kg overweight last year no wonder he had so many injuries. We will see on Saturday how much he has trimmed down & whether Flanno can get a better attitude from him including the arm grabbing in defence that he has done consistantly over the past couple of years due to being overweight, unfit & too slow as a result.
It all goes back to Griifin instructing him to add weight, the same was said to Kerr, when he was interviewed once he commented that he was shocked when Griffin told him he was going to use him as an edge forward & he wanted him to add weight instead of loosing it for what has become a faster game with the 6 again rule!!!!!
He probably was given a new dietry plan which included consuming 6 cans of Coke a day.
Ps:
I have 3 :p:p

SAP58

Juniors
But, if he's not worth the price he's asking then we don't want him. I pity the poor pricks that have to negotiate these deals as they're obviously negotiating with a bunch of mongrels and they'll cop a pasting regardless of the outcome. If another club wants to pay more than we're prepared to, so be it. He's yet another Saints product that we're trying to buy back. The recurring lesson is that we should do everything possible to develop and retain our talent.
Totally agree a system needs to be in place with the right people to identify & keep our best talent, sure you cannot make the right decision everytime but our recent history suggests we have been very negligent in this area & it has been hit & miss at best. It was an issue that Flanno commented on very early to suggest we need a better system. I’m with him !

TheRev

Coach
Russell dropping off tomorrows team-list seems like an indication that the rumour is true and he was tapped and assumably found somewhere to go.. or we just paid him out.

However that spot might not be for Luciano.. it could be for a different player.. but it means we can sign a contract if it's agreed too.

56to66

Juniors
Jame Hooper
"But the Green Machine have quietly gone about orchestrating what would rank as one of the best signing coups of the off season.

The Dragons had a Zoom call meeting with Leilua on Thursday and were believed to be close to sealing a deal"

I was right

I don't think $900000 a season is lot of money, considering back in 1996 during the superleague war, average players were getting nearly $500000 season, for that money you could have bought 3 houses in Dundas on a 1000 square meter block, I know for a fact.
Today your lucky to get a 2 bedroom unit for $900000. But again, according to J Hooper we'll be getting ripped off, but you know if he goes too lets say Canberra, it will be a case that, he's gone to a team with the potential of playing finals football, no mention about dollars!

Shane never had any issues attracting top players at the Sharks, players are just using the Dragons to see if they can get a better deal.
Hopefully the 2 unwanted Bulldogs players can provide something, but believe you me, James Hooper will be ready to kick them in the nuts if they fizzle!

Last edited:

jeffdragon

Bench
Russell dropping off tomorrows team-list seems like an indication that the rumour is true and he was tapped and assumably found somewhere to go.. or we just paid him out.

However that spot might not be for Luciano.. it could be for a different player.. but it means we can sign a contract if it's agreed too.
Didn't even miss his name in the squad.

$3.5m you are joking Lucie. I want you to return home but you wont be if that is the kinda coin you are after. Tell your manager to be realistic. Word is the Raiders are baulking at that price too. Fraid you have dug yourself a deep hole old mate.

Last edited:

Latest posts