What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno's New Signings

kit66

Bench
I don't think $900000 a season is lot of money, considering back in 1996 during the superleague war, average players were getting nearly $500000 season, for that money you could have bought 3 houses in Dundas on a 1000 square meter block, I know for a fact.
Today your lucky to get a 2 bedroom unit for $900000. But again, according to J Hooper we'll be getting ripped off, but you know if he goes too lets say Canberra, it will be a case that, he's gone to a team with the potential of playing finals football, no mention about dollars!

True, it's not overs for tier 1 or 2 players, we know that but is Luc tier 1 or 2 ? Maybe tier 2 but what if he stays true to his form for the last 3 years and only plays 12 or so games a season, that's a possibility and throw in his off field issues. Multiply it by four and it's a huge $3.6m risk. Imagine if we paid that and it all went to shit, what a laughing stock we'd be letting a player and his manager take us for fools because we were so desperate. Even if he played ok it's still overs and any other player we hoped to attract to the club would be saying, well you gave Luc $3.6.......

Canberra won't make the 8. They literally scraped into the 8 last year by a single win - if they'd finished on 24 like the 3 teams below them their differential would have put them in 12th. Wighton will be a huge loss for them and their Mr Reliable Jarrod Croker too. They've bought in 1 decent 2nd rower in Hoskings but apart from that nada.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
If you ask me, I doubt very much that Flanno would sign Leilua on a 4-year deal at 900k per season. If Flanno has interest it would be a 2-3 year deal at no more than 750k per year. Given that about a big junk of this season has been paid by NQ,, that sort of deal would be OK.

If Leilua does not sign it is no big deal as RFM can play 12 until our our young guns are ready. Su'A, RFM, De Belin. Not a bad back row combo.

matPORTS

Juniors
The average going rate for a back rower being around the $900k mark, under the current salary cap.

We need to keep in mind - what over-inflates this average is the fact that David Fifita is (potentially - I don't think any of us truly know what he is on) on a monster deal. He's an outlier.

What is, say, Liam Martin currently commanding?

Imagine what Nathan Hindmarsh in his prime could command under todays salary cap.

If Luc is coming here to play 80mins, and doing all the right things to stay fit and able to make the paddock every week - yeah, awesome, then it's (potentially) a good deal.

Dragsters

First Grade
The average going rate for a back rower being around the $900k mark, under the current salary cap.

We need to keep in mind - what over-inflates this average is the fact that David Fifita is (potentially - I don't think any of us truly know what he is on) on a monster deal. He's an outlier.

What is, say, Liam Martin currently commanding?

Imagine what Nathan Hindmarsh in his prime could command under todays salary cap.

If Luc is coming here to play 80mins, and doing all the right things to stay fit and able to make the paddock every week - yeah, awesome, then it's (potentially) a good deal.
Perhaps. But he has failed to do any of these consistently let alone all of them during his career to date, let alone see out a contract, so it's highly unlikely that he can suddenly achieve them all now in order to justify that kind of coin. I think he could be an worthwhile asset with his attacking flair but at that kind of coin it is far too big a risk and one not worth taking imo. 700 to 750 perhaps worth the gamble...

Illusion

Bench
StGeorge Dragons have had the spoon 3 times 1922, 1926, 1938
Illawarra Steelers also 3 times 1985, 1986, 1989

StGeorge Illawarra Dragons have never had the spoon
Well this is true , so St George Illawarra we have one one Premiership ........ The rest should not come into it if you are putting it this way ........ The 11 years in a row should not be mentioned when we refer to St George Illawarra ........ We can't have it both ways only when it suits us right ? ..........

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Well this is true , so St George Illawarra we have one one Premiership ........ The rest should not come into it if you are putting it this way ........ The 11 years in a row should not be mentioned when we refer to St George Illawarra ........ We can't have it both ways only when it suits us right ? ..........
Im just stating that we have had "won" a spoon and provided those stats, what you make of it is up to you.

Illusion

Bench
Im just stating that we have had "won" a spoon and provided those stats, what you make of it is up to you.
Agree this is just me , really St George and Illawarra Steelers doesn't exist any more ....... It's only the history getting to the St George Illawarra joint venture, so all the other club supporters can argue that the other Premierships don't come into it ....... But I will take all the trophies as a St George Illawarra and don't care what other's think ........

RedVee

First Grade
Agree this is just me , really St George and Illawarra Steelers doesn't exist any more ....... It's only the history getting to the St George Illawarra joint venture, so all the other club supporters can argue that the other Premierships don't come into it ....... But I will take all the trophies as a St George Illawarra and don't care what other's think ........
Although the Steelers don’t make up any part of the club anymore. It’s now one club owned by St George & Birketu.

maestro1

Bench
The Steelers have. If we get to count our premierships, we've gotta count their spoon too
Are you kidding. The Steelers never won a premiership. It was St George Illawarra. We only have had three spoons since 1921 and none since we merged with the Steelers.

Your argument doesn't even make sense. Grabbing at straws

Last edited:

qld redvee

Juniors