What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau has joined AFL

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.backpagelead.com.au/league/1433-6-million-soundbite

Israel Folau's $6 million soundbite

Steve Mascord

Written on Tuesday, 01 June 2010 21:16

IT’S almost as if no-one believed he was serious about it.

"Yeah, yeah, Israel Folau’s going to Australian Football. And Harry Kewell’s doing synchronised swimming."

And so when it finally happened on Tuesday – a $6 million deal with Team GWS, supposedly – there was outrage from Brendan Fevola to Andrew Johns and everyone in between.

Folau had already been left out of the Australian league team, many believe because he was about to sign with rugby union. But league players going to union is old hat and there is actually a five percent chance they are not doing it for the money.

Going from league to the AFL? It’s either money or you want to jump the queue at Melbourne nightclubs. And Izzy doesn’t drink.

Which brings us to an interesting sidelight. Folau’s return to Brisbane from the Storm was partly a result of pressure – real or imagined – to return to the cocoon of his strictly religious family, who at one stage ordered him to get a haircut. In this respect I congratulate Israel on his latest decision to get the hell out of Dodge (sorry for cussing, Izzy) and I expect him to have a nice healthy afro by the time the Western Sydney Westies play their first game.

You know Iz, organised religion may actually be more insidious than rugby union and when you’re living away from home again I hope you realise that eventually....

Actually, it’s amusing to remember that we once wrote stories about Israel giving up his peak years as a professional sportsman to go on a Mormon mission! As it turns out, he’s not even willing to waste his peak years on a job that earns him $400,000 or more a year!

And I again hark back to February 8 this year, when Folau, at a coaching clinic in Blacktown with the NRL All Stars, was asked about GWS and shocked David Gallop with his answer.

"I hope the AFL get a bit of a run here around this area and hopefully it grows for the future,” he said.

Yes, the Six Million Dollar Soundbite.

When I wrote about Folau a couple of months ago, this website put a headline on the yarn “Folau: More Than Just An AFL Pawn”.

I’ve really got to make myself better understood. Folau is nothing more than an AFL pawn. If you’re an Australian Football fan reading this column to find out what a passionate rugby league person thinks of the news, the answer is simple: not much.

Israel Folau has been signed as an ambassador but knows no diplomacy (as the quote above illustrates!). He’s been signed as a kicker but can only catch.

And he’s been signed to aggrieve an enemy that will forget him in five minutes flat.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I totally agree with Dean Cox's comments.

If Izzy is worth a million dollars, what are their good players worth.

It just doesn't make sense, its a slap in the face to all their better players.

Stormcap

Juniors
Why does the Daily Telegraph seem so intent on writing that Folau is only on 3.6 million over four years when every other media outlet is quoting 6 mill over 4 years.

Does the Telegraph have an agenda by doing this? Have they been paid by the AFL down talk down the actual figure paid? I would not be surprised.

These figures always get talked up, never down. When Chris Judd moved it was suppposedly 7.5 $million over 4 years but it turned out to be about 800K a year.Its not a big story if its not a huge amount.

The truth is he's on about $750k a year plus bonuses based on memberships, crowds, auskick numbers and his on field performance, that can take his earnings up to $1million a year.

Big Mick

Referee
So he is already on par with Chris Judd who is the highest paid player in the game.

End of story right there.

applesauce

Bench
There's an interesting double standard at work here. If the NRL signed Gary Ablett for the Melbourne Storm, it would be portrayed as a desperate act, a gimmick to shore up a failing franchise. But for the AFL, the megabucks signing of untried league players is reported in the press as an innovation, a sign of the strength of the code. And no-one is saying what a huge setback it is for rugby union because Folau turned down the Melbourne rugby union franchise or that the AFL is reeling because Jarryd Hayne said no to them.

http://rugbyreloaded.blogspot.com/

DINGb@T

Juniors
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...y-bout-of-nerves/story-e6frg7mf-1225874731840

"But all that will come as long as I keep working hard."

Having had fellow code-hopper Israel Folau over to his place for a cup of tea on Monday evening, Hunt stopped in for a visit with his former captain Darren Lockyer last night, though he was looking to have an early night.

"It's been a couple of weeks and training was obviously different to what I am used to, so it will be interesting to see how I pull up," Hunt said.

So the minute they leave League they go from beer swilling neanderthals to tea-drinking, early-to-bed choir boys?!? You can't have it both ways!!!!

Dogs Of War

Coach
Hopefully Gallop can put a gag on Folau for the rest of the season, reminding him of his obligations to his current employer, and that he is free after the season to spruik AFL to his hearts content.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Hopefully Gallop can put a gag on Folau for the rest of the season, reminding him of his obligations to his current employer, and that he is free after the season to spruik AFL to his hearts content.

no need to gag him. he can't put two words together

Great article. Top of the heap. This to me is gods honest truth. Ironic, since god does not exist (its been proven but people still wish to believe otherwise.....and being told to get a haircut - this aint the army where short hair might save your life)

I am not at all sad that he is going. Let them waste their money.

To me it just gets people to ask the question once presented with AFL: "Now you've seen it, do you like it?"

Yet its a question many have answered already. AFL is a rejected game by a large number of Australians. Relying on a Polynesian player to convert us is folly. And lump hunt in with that.

I bet they didnt consult John Oneil on this one.

Exactly what Sammy Newman just said on the footy show

Haynetrain + Sammy 1
Idiots who think Israel can't kick a ball 0

That may be so. I think he will go alright, and if by some chance he is incredible I think we will all be surprised. At the end of the day I think people will look at this deal and judge that it was not worth the money.

People go on and on about AFL skill. I ask, what skill? Kicking, jumping and catching, and running around as if trying to catch a mad chicken on the ground. There is not much to it. And so too they go on and on about the great kicking....but so what. If kicking is the ONE skill in the game that happens a lot, of course you are going to train on it, anyone can kick a ball, and if you train long enough, have long and powerful legs (the latter of which is not hard to develop), sure, you are going to get good at kicking.

Reminds me of baseball players and throwing. They throw tens of thousands of balls back and forth each year. Same with AFL and kicking. Yeah, you'll get good at kicking.

AFL is a paradox......a game with no offside rule, and its main skills are kicking and jumping and catching....is it any surprise he passed the test run with flying colours? You'd only rule out a down syndrome in a wheelchair, surely. Yet they call it super skillful. They say its a great 360 degree game and its best apreciated for people who MIGHT come into play all around....but hey, it looks a mess, and sorry, I have watched it live, and no, I dont like it. Because what is there to like about it??

Its a structureless rabble, and the compromised scoring would surely be a world-wide joke if only the world knew about it.

And they say we rl fans must be jealous of the AFL's popularity and strength and power atm. Its not jealousy. Its bewilderment.

After all, we are talking about a society where fast food is highly desirable. Religion is declining but popular in spite of proof of its non real core. Just because they are popular does not mean much. Some people love the game and some hate it. People I meet from overseas cannot get over it, "but its so crap" they say. All of AFL's strengths are subjective. Just because we are talking about it does not mean we are taken up by it.

I've rejected the game numerous times - every time they try and shove it down my throat. No, Falou wont be missed and its highly unlikely AFL will be liked more by him just being there. No amount of psychological maneuvering is going to make up for the fact that many just plain dont like it.

Last edited:

Doomednow

Bench
Its been said many times before on this thread but I may as well say it again.

This isn't the coup the AFL thinks it will be. Israel is a great winger, but he and Hunt are neither the first to leave the code nor the biggest names. The fans didn't follow then, good luck getting them to follow now.

I'm interested to hear how much respect they get from their teammates though - established, proven players who earn a fraction of what these guys will be getting.

badav

Bench
This isn't the coup the AFL thinks it will be. Israel is a great winger, but he and Hunt are neither the first to leave the code nor the biggest names. The fans didn't follow then, good luck getting them to follow now.

Its was never about getting the fans to follow.

Its about getting the kids playing AFL, and you would have to be a fool to think that none will take up that option.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade

Its about getting the kids playing AFL, and you would have to be a fool to think that none will take up that option.

Yeah, just look at the boom in juniors that the ARU witnessed from 2001-now.

typicalfan

Coach

If the AFL wanted a personality they should have done it before Union started. The NRL are used to players moving away, even across the globe to another RL competition. Folau isn't even the biggest name to leave the competition in the last 12 months.

intentcity

First Grade
Great article. Top of the heap. This to me is gods honest truth. Ironic, since god does not exist (its been proven but people still wish to believe otherwise.....and being told to get a haircut - this aint the army where short hair might save your life)

I am not at all sad that he is going. Let them waste their money.

To me it just gets people to ask the question once presented with AFL: "Now you've seen it, do you like it?"

Yet its a question many have answered already. AFL is a rejected game by a large number of Australians. Relying on a Polynesian player to convert us is folly. And lump hunt in with that.

I bet they didnt consult John Oneil on this one.

That may be so. I think he will go alright, and if by some chance he is incredible I think we will all be surprised. At the end of the day I think people will look at this deal and judge that it was not worth the money.

People go on and on about AFL skill. I ask, what skill? Kicking, jumping and catching, and running around as if trying to catch a mad chicken on the ground. There is not much to it. And so too they go on and on about the great kicking....but so what. If kicking is the ONE skill in the game that happens a lot, of course you are going to train on it, anyone can kick a ball, and if you train long enough, have long and powerful legs (the latter of which is not hard to develop), sure, you are going to get good at kicking.

Reminds me of baseball players and throwing. They throw tens of thousands of balls back and forth each year. Same with AFL and kicking. Yeah, you'll get good at kicking.

AFL is a paradox......a game with no offside rule, and its main skills are kicking and jumping and catching....is it any surprise he passed the test run with flying colours? You'd only rule out a down syndrome in a wheelchair, surely. Yet they call it super skillful. They say its a great 360 degree game and its best apreciated for people who MIGHT come into play all around....but hey, it looks a mess, and sorry, I have watched it live, and no, I dont like it. Because what is there to like about it??

Its a structureless rabble, and the compromised scoring would surely be a world-wide joke if only the world knew about it.

And they say we rl fans must be jealous of the AFL's popularity and strength and power atm. Its not jealousy. Its bewilderment.

After all, we are talking about a society where fast food is highly desirable. Religion is declining but popular in spite of proof of its non real core. Just because they are popular does not mean much. Some people love the game and some hate it. People I meet from overseas cannot get over it, "but its so crap" they say. All of AFL's strengths are subjective. Just because we are talking about it does not mean we are taken up by it.

I've rejected the game numerous times - every time they try and shove it down my throat. No, Falou wont be missed and its highly unlikely AFL will be liked more by him just being there. No amount of psychological maneuvering is going to make up for the fact that many just plain dont like it.

WOW, what a post, mind if i ask you a few questions?, thanks, i will, but first of all, im not some big footy troll, i follow both codes (yeah yeah i know, youve heard that before) fact is i hate stupid people, i hate trolls, be it of the NRL/AFL variety.

now, lets get down to bussiness.

skill, AFL.
kicking, often on the opposite foot, abilty to hit fast moving targets, lateraly or diaganally, often under pressure, ability to kick long distances whilst running flatout, on both feet, with precision too, you must also run flat out to the contest you kick too, an unwritten law of Aussie rules, just to butter up in case your needed, must have good decision making abilitys.

thoughts

awareness, most important, remember, you can get smashed for just being in the vicinty of the ball, also, 360 degree vision is needed but obviously impossible, you often just dont see the hit coming.

handballing, pretty much the same as above, must be creative, must use both hands (which is easier said than done, beleive me), must have penetration for long range handballs, this is a very difficult skill, much harder than throwing the ball.

thoughts?

marking, often whilst running flatout directly at the ball, the ball often travells in exess of 100kmh, and im not talking about taking it on your chest but in your hands, more often than not under extreme pressure from an opponant/opponants, also often whilst extremly fatigued, also use of the body in marking duels, the courage needed to run back with the flight of the ball without knowing whats coming is frightening, if you take your eyes off the ball, its an instant free kick to anyone you make front on contact with, example of the courage needed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW-x90N4ZBw

thoughts??????????????????????????????????

running ability, no need to explain that one.

thoughts??

goal kicking, the holy grail, looks easy yeah, its not, set shots from directly in front should be kicked, but as you know they often arnt, all fwds should have the ability to make the ball bounce left to right upon bounceing, a pretty simple skill really, it should be used in both rugby codes but ive never seen it used TBH, ability to kick bananas, snaps (reverse banana)

tackling, ability to take your opponant down or dispossess him without giving away a free kick.

bouncing the ball, almost always done at full speed, sometimes done while trying to avoid tacklers pretty easy if you know how to do it but not so if you cant, irish and other imports have really struggled with this skill.

ball handling, abiltiy to scoop the ball up one handed whilst running flat out often whilst under pressure, also ball handling ability, knowing when and when not to pick the ball up.

abilty not to give away free kicks, in the back/high tackles ect.

tackle breaking abiltys, footwork, balance, strengh, ect ect.

this is without mentioning ruckwork, midfeild plays, defending and such, could you list the skills required for league please?

FWIW, theres a few skills involved for a skilless sport isnt there, fact is mate, elite players of both codes make things look easy, sorry to break the news to you but they're not.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
These figures always get talked up, never down. When Chris Judd moved it was suppposedly 7.5 $million over 4 years but it turned out to be about 800K a year.Its not a big story if its not a huge amount.

The truth is he's on about $750k a year plus bonuses based on memberships, crowds, auskick numbers and his on field performance, that can take his earnings up to $1million a year.

I've heard all-up it's much closer to the 6 million over 4 years than the 3.6 million the Telegraph is reporting.

The AFL would like us all to believe it was lower to save a bit of face, expecially within their own ranks, but the real truth is being reported by the majority of the media which is refreshing.

I know you AFL people would like to think it's a lower figure.

RL1908

Bench
WOW, what a post, mind if i ask you a few questions?, thanks, i will, but first of all, im not some big footy troll, i follow both codes (yeah yeah i know, youve heard that before) fact is i hate stupid people, i hate trolls, be it of the NRL/AFL variety.

Interesting that the rise of the "I follow both codes" fans emerges on NRL forums just hours after the Hunt-Folau double is locked up. A (paranoid?) cynic may suggest the AFL's next marketing phase has begun. Engaging in debate educates fans about both codes.

But to come back to the case you put forward hoping to educate NRL fans to the finer points of AFL...

Though trying to break out of the southern/western Aust states ever since the 1880s, the problem Aust rules has always encountered, and will continue to encounter, is that the public will always compare it to the codes it already knows.

That isn't a problem in Melb, Adelaide & Perth - but everywhere else in the world it is. That's why Aust rules failed to expand beyond its heartlands.

For an elaboration of these points, read & watch @
"Our Footballers Play the Rugby Game, Not Victorian Rules."

hellteam

First Grade

now, lets get down to bussiness.

skill, AFL.
kicking, often on the opposite foot, abilty to hit fast moving targets, lateraly or diaganally, often under pressure, ability to kick long distances whilst running flatout, on both feet, with precision too, you must also run flat out to the contest you kick too, an unwritten law of Aussie rules, just to butter up in case your needed, must have good decision making abilitys.

thoughts

awareness, most important, remember, you can get smashed for just being in the vicinty of the ball, also, 360 degree vision is needed but obviously impossible, you often just dont see the hit coming.

handballing, pretty much the same as above, must be creative, must use both hands (which is easier said than done, beleive me), must have penetration for long range handballs, this is a very difficult skill, much harder than throwing the ball.

thoughts?

marking, often whilst running flatout directly at the ball, the ball often travells in exess of 100kmh, and im not talking about taking it on your chest but in your hands, more often than not under extreme pressure from an opponant/opponants, also often whilst extremly fatigued, also use of the body in marking duels, the courage needed to run back with the flight of the ball without knowing whats coming is frightening, if you take your eyes off the ball, its an instant free kick to anyone you make front on contact with, example of the courage needed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW-x90N4ZBw

thoughts??????????????????????????????????

1) running ability, no need to explain that one.

thoughts??

2) goal kicking, the holy grail, looks easy yeah, its not, set shots from directly in front should be kicked, but as you know they often arnt, all fwds should have the ability to make the ball bounce left to right upon bounceing, a pretty simple skill really, it should be used in both rugby codes but ive never seen it used TBH, ability to kick bananas, snaps (reverse banana)

3) tackling, ability to take your opponant down or dispossess him without giving away a free kick.

4) bouncing the ball, almost always done at full speed, sometimes done while trying to avoid tacklers pretty easy if you know how to do it but not so if you cant, irish and other imports have really struggled with this skill.

5) ball handling, abiltiy to scoop the ball up one handed whilst running flat out often whilst under pressure, also ball handling ability, knowing when and when not to pick the ball up.

6) abilty not to give away free kicks, in the back/high tackles ect.

7) tackle breaking abiltys, footwork, balance, strengh, ect ect.

8) this is without mentioning ruckwork, midfeild plays, defending and such, could you list the skills required for league please?

FWIW, theres a few skills involved for a skilless sport isnt there, fact is mate, elite players of both codes make things look easy, sorry to break the news to you but they're not.

1) Running, fair enough, but pretty much every other sport in the world has this 'running' skill you talk of.

2) I've posted this in another thread, but how come I could go down the park and kick 4/5 from 35 metres out and I've never even played AFL before...and your "skilled" AFL players constantly miss from easier positions then that.

3) I've seen AFL player tackle, and there's no skills in that, they suck, and if they tackle too hard they get penalised (seemingly)

4) That is not hard if you practice, plus if you can't get it right, you can just tap the ball on the ground. Not much skill in that is there?

5) If your sport really wanted ball-handling to be one of their skills, shouldn't there be some kind of penalty for mishandling of the ball? League players 'scoop up' the ball all the time, and it they fail - which happens in the AFL more often then not - they get penalised and the other team gets the ball.

6) That's not a skill

7) Not hard to break a tackle when no one can tackle properly. Strength, balance fair enough, but even netball has that.

8) Okay I'll list the skills required in League. But I will probably miss many, though you've seen to pretty comprehensively listed these "skills" AFL players have.

- Passing (off the ground, long, short etc)
- Kicking (not just one type of kicking, but punts, grubbers, chips, bombs, drop kicks, goal kicking)
- Running (palming, steps etc) Remember it's tougher to beat a tackle when opposition players can actually tackle well
- Catching (when league players catch it, they're not allowed to drop it, and if they do the other team gets the ball. I don't know how some of those AFL marks are called, when they've dropped the ball before they've even got close to falling to the ground)
- Tackling (in AFL if someone misses a tackle, no one cares, in league you actually need to tackle successfully and well to win a game)
- Tactics (set plays, defence [sliding, up and in etc], kicking game)
- Toughness (playing against the best athletes in Australia week in week out- athletes that are so good they are targeted by the 2 other football codes in Australia)

A few other things league has:

- Competition. The AFL is so easy to pick, I don't know much about it yet can still pick about 80 percent of the winners every week. In the NRL I'm flat out getting above 50-55%. The other week I did an experimental multibet, and picked all the favorites in the AFL and NRL round. To pick all winners in the AFL round (which was 7 games) paid $4.70. To pick all the league favorites on the weekend (6 games) paid $17.00. That says a lot.
- State of Origin. Nothing in AFL gets close to this.The only real rivalries are between two suburbs in Melbourne.
- International. Rugby Union can say they have this over league but AFL certainly can't. You can't call that joke thing they play against Ireland international competition either because its not even your sport. Rugby League has a competitive World Cup, Four Nations etc.

I'll say again, if AFL players are so much more skilled and better athletes, why would they sign a rugby league player, who is completely alien to their game, and make him on of their highest paid players?

If a League team bought an AFL player everyone would laugh at them, simple as that.

But in saying all this, I bet this "fan of both codes" won't come back.

Last edited:

intentcity

First Grade
1) Running, fair enough, but pretty much every other sport in the world has this 'running' skill you talk of.

2) I've posted this in another thread, but how come I could go down the park and kick 4/5 from 35 metres out and I've never even played AFL before...and your "skilled" AFL players constantly miss from easier positions then that.

3) I've seen AFL player tackle, and there's no skills in that, they suck, and if they tackle too hard they get penalised (seemingly)

4) That is not hard if you practice, plus if you can't get it right, you can just tap the ball on the ground. Not much skill in that is there?

5) If your sport really wanted ball-handling to be one of their skills, shouldn't there be some kind of penalty for mishandling of the ball? League players 'scoop up' the ball all the time, and it they fail - which happens in the AFL more often then not - they get penalised and the other team gets the ball.

6) That's not a skill

7) Not hard to break a tackle when no one can tackle properly. Strength, balance fair enough, but even netball has that.

8) Okay I'll list the skills required in League. But I will probably miss many, though you've seen to pretty comprehensively listed these "skills" AFL players have.

- Passing (off the ground, long, short etc)
- Kicking (not just one type of kicking, but punts, grubbers, chips, bombs, drop kicks, goal kicking)
- Running (palming, steps etc) Remember it's tougher to beat a tackle when opposition players can actually tackle well
- Catching (when league players catch it, they're not allowed to drop it, and if they do the other team gets the ball. I don't know how some of those AFL marks are called, when they've dropped the ball before they've even got close to falling to the ground)
- Tackling (in AFL if someone misses a tackle, no one cares, in league you actually need to tackle successfully and well to win a game)
- Tactics (set plays, defence [sliding, up and in etc], kicking game)
- Toughness (playing against the best athletes in Australia week in week out- athletes that are so good they are targeted by the 2 other football codes in Australia)

A few other things league has:

- Competition. The AFL is so easy to pick, I don't know much about it yet can still pick about 80 percent of the winners every week. In the NRL I'm flat out getting above 50-55%. The other week I did an experimental multibet, and picked all the favorites in the AFL and NRL round. To pick all winners in the AFL round (which was 7 games) paid $4.70. To pick all the league favorites on the weekend (6 games) paid $17.00. That says a lot.
- State of Origin. Nothing in AFL gets close to this.The only real rivalries are between two suburbs in Melbourne.
- International. Rugby Union can say they have this over league but AFL certainly can't. You can't call that joke thing they play against Ireland international competition either because its not even your sport. Rugby League has a competitive World Cup, Four Nations etc.

I'll say again, if AFL players are so much more skilled and better athletes, why would they sign a rugby league player, who is completely alien to their game, and make him on of their highest paid players?

If a League team bought an AFL player everyone would laugh at them, simple as that.

But in saying all this, I bet this "fan of both codes" won't come back.

im not saying either sport is more skilled, clearly, both require skill, i just hate people saying AFL is skilless, clearly it isnt, you cant compare the two games really, as for your kicking at goal experiment, me too, i never missed at training, but beleive me, match days are very different, you have a player on the mark for starters, doesnt sound like much but believe me, its much harder to kick over someone than to just stab it through, perceived pressure, handling this pressure is pretty much the difference between our fwds and backs, our backs can all hit targets 50/60mtrs away, but most of them cant put it through the big sticks to save themselves, but as i said before, at training, they never miss.

ive never played league, but i can spiral pass a ball a fair way and accuratly, i can catch a ball too, can i do it in a league game? who knows, ive never tryed.

as for kicking, i can bend the ball in the air both ways and with both feet accuratly, i can grubber the ball along the ground and make it turn left to right or right to left accuratly, on both feet as well, i can fairly regulaly hit spirals with both feet, this isnt a hard skill to learn if you know how to kick properly, how many league kickers do you honestly know that could do that?

Last edited:

Latest posts