What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau has joined AFL

elbusto

Coach
You don't seem to get it. This move was obviously done to assist in creating a market for AFL in Western Sydney. Not to take Isreal Folau away from league.

Folau originates from Western Sydney. He is highly identifiable in the Polynesian community. He doesn't drink, smoke or do drugs and his rep is pretty much as clean as you'll get.

That makes him a pretty marketable bloke in my books. I mean it only took until well after other codes showed interest in him for the NRL to realise how good his marketing potential is (remember Gallop talking about this 2-3 weeks ago?). Instead they persisted with meat heads who can't speak a single sentence properly like Brett Stewart, Jarryd Hayne, and Greg Inglis.

As i said, you would have to be in denial if you don't think that kids won't be taking up AFL in Western Sydney. Denial seems to be the general thing on this forum though.
Idiot.

intentcity

First Grade
im sure you can, now try and make a snap decision on one of those options and execute it , and that is reserve grade level park footy. its all well you can say you can spiral pass, i taught my auntie to do that and shes from california, but to be able to pass to a teammate seconds after catching it and make it the right decision or to catch the ball and spot a gap and go through it is a skill. now for youre afl skills you mentioned before, when i played league or even when we mucked around with the footy at school, we used to bounce the ball it really isnt that hard even at pace, all you really need to do is bounce it on the flat side of the spine of the ball. handballing please, marking is kinda hard ill give you that, especially when you have another bloke rubbing up against you competing for the ball. and kickin, the only kicking used in afl is the drop punt and the snap, anyone can drop punt, while it takes a while to lean the banana snap, theres no tactical chip and chase bombing to the wings or sliding a grubber into the ingoal for a repeat set. i dont care about the afl, i dont hate it, what i do hate is theyre underhanded administration ,constantly using sly tactics in an effort to ruin our game, covering up theyre own stars misdemeanours while shedding light on ours and the people who constantly try and make theyre sport out to be tougher than union and league. please its field netball, i dont begrudge people who play it (except hunt and folau) but stop trying to be a spin doctor cause its not working

my post was in reply to another poster saying he can kick the ball through the goals at the park, infering it was an easy skill, i agree with some of your post, but its pretty much exactly what i said in my post, except for the skill and feild netball comment, im not rying to change anyones minds, clearly i couldnt, but AFL requires different sets of courage to league, try running back with the flight of the ball, trust me, it isnt fun, i fact, id love to see a stat on serious injurys between AFL/NRL, AFL have had some doosys in the last 3 yrs, the worst probably being when a geelong player had to get a kidney remmoved (he was running back with the flight of the ball), that doesnt happen in netball my freind.

also, you cant rate a sport on how tough it is, is UFC a better sport than league? ect ect, im not a troll, as i said earlier, i like league, i love AFL, my eldest brother likes AFL but loves league, his favourite catch cry is (in his eastlake voice) bella bella BELLA, lol.

Last edited:

Coaster

Bench
I still wonder, the commercial takes place in a backyard with 3 guys watching some kids play

"he is gonna play AFL" says punter 1; proud of his kid

"he is gonna play Union" says punter 2, "gonna earn a fortune." he says.

"my kids playing league,"he smiles while both other parents look nervous at each other The boy displays the skills while both fathers look on

nqcowboy87

Bench
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/riolo-im-not-trying-to-ruin-nrl-20100605-xlrq.html

Folau flees family matters
UNDOUBTEDLY the most confusing aspect of Israel Folau's AFL conversion is the city switch. We were all told he went to the Broncos from Melbourne to be near his family. Now he moves to Sydney. Time for a couple of home truths - Folau's family, devout Mormons, were hearing stories that Israel was not being true to the faith. Stories of his drinking and other behaviour had reached their ears and they wanted their boy home. Australian players confided he had his first drink on his first tour. Izzy denied it. Back home he found he was cramped by his family. The demands for money were also a major issue. He is under pressure to supply money to his family and church. Hence his move to Sydney. Folau's defection to AFL wasn't totally out of the blue. This column first broached the idea with him and his manager a couple of years back. He didn't rule it out then and has said that he'd have made this switch even if it wasn't for his mate Karmichael Hunt doing the same.

so hes not the angel that people make him out to be, but hey hes human, i just wish hed found a better way around this

El Diablo

Post Whore
even more AFL folk publically voicing their anger

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-players-angry-at-folau-deal-chaplin-20100607-xozx.html

AFL players angry at Folau deal: Chaplin
June 7, 2010 - 12:10PM

ADELAIDE, June 7 AAP - AFL players are infuriated at the multi-million deal which lured Israel Folau from rugby league, Port Adelaide defender Troy Chaplin says.

Chaplin says he's shocked and angry at how much Folau will be paid to switch codes and play for the AFL's newest entity, Greater Western Sydney.

"The figures that have been thrown up in the media, if correct, are going to infuriate fellow players," Chaplin wrote on website theroar.com.au.

Chaplin said the amount of Folau's deal, reportedly $4 million, was a "joke".

"I respect the AFL's decision entirely, it is the figure of money that is being speculated that hits a nerve with fellow players," he wrote.

"The general consensus amongst our playing group is that it is a fantastic idea to lure another sportsmen from a rival code.

"The money is the key issue at the moment.

"We have guys on our list who have been playing football since they were seven years of age and who are earning $50,000 a year, which is still a significant amount of money for a 17-year-old kid.

"But that is ridiculed by what Folau will earn."

Chaplin suggested Folau's lack of AFL skills could be "detrimental".

"He has all of the physical attributes but I am most certainly sure he doesn't have the technical attributes, at the moment, to make it as an AFL footballer," he wrote.

"Folau is going to struggle to switch codes and learn to kick an Australian Rules football, and from my understanding he has yet to try it.

"The difference between him and Karmichael Hunt is that Hunt played some form of AFL at an early age before turning to a career in the NRL.

"Folau's ability to hit pinpoint passes on the run when his fellow teammate has a metre on his opposition is going to be detrimental to his fellow teammates and his own confidence.

"It is not an easy skill and one in which players struggle with today with the increased pressure in games now.

"It is going to take more than two years for him to be able to understand the mechanisms that go with playing Australian Rules."

El Diablo

Post Whore
that's about 5 or 6 that the media have managed to hear from

i imagine there are a lot more

could end up being a massive mistake. especially if they forked out millions more for Inglis

what chances of AFL players going on strike unless they too get big bucks?

Dogs Of War

Coach
that's about 5 or 6 that the media have managed to hear from

i imagine there are a lot more

could end up being a massive mistake. especially if they forked out millions more for Inglis

what chances of AFL players going on strike unless they too get big bucks?

I doubt they will go on strike. More so AFL will have to pay a higher percentage out to players of total revenue, thus making the subsidies of GWS and Gold Coast much harder on the bottom line. I wonder what happens if say North Melbourne or so get in trouble? Do they merge them with say GWS because they can't afford to bail them out. I suppose that's what happens when you have the arrogance that sport displays.

intentcity

First Grade
I doubt they will go on strike. More so AFL will have to pay a higher percentage out to players of total revenue, thus making the subsidies of GWS and Gold Coast much harder on the bottom line. I wonder what happens if say North Melbourne or so get in trouble? Do they merge them with say GWS because they can't afford to bail them out. I suppose that's what happens when you have the arrogance that sport displays.

no, if north cant stand on their own 2 feet they will fold, they had their chance to relocate to the GC, many beleive this was their only chance to survive long term, they refused, now they're on their own.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...ert-israel-folau/story-e6frecjc-1225886429444

NRL door still ajar for AFL convert Israel Folau

* Michael Warner and Jackie Epstein
* June 30, 2010 11:30PM

AFL convert Israel Folau has revealed he is already thinking about a return to rugby league.

The Brisbane code jumper raised eyebrows on the eve of his farewell State-of-Origin appearance for Queensland by suggesting yesterday that he could be back playing NRL within four years.

"It's exciting and also a little bit sad that this is going to be my last game, but you just never know what could happen after this four years," Folau said. "I could maybe return back to league, who knows?

"It's definitely not out of the question - I will always leave the door open to rugby league."

Folau, 21, has signed a lucrative four-year $1 million-a-season deal to join the Greater Western Sydney franchise.

He will complete the NRL season with the Broncos before making the switch in December.

GWS coach Kevin Sheedy yesterday conceded his club would need to work hard to convince Folau to see out his career in the AFL.

"He might fall in love and never go back," Sheedy told the Herald Sun. "It's up to us.

"We've got to try and make him a better player and make him realise how good our game is. When he's up there playing in front of 100,000 people in big games he'll love it. But it doesn't worry me that he says that.

"You've got to leave the door open for anything."

Folau's selection for Queensland has angered NRL officials, who claim his presence will turn the State-of-Origin finale into an AFL "circus".

Wednesday's dead-rubber Origin match will be played at ANZ Stadium in the heart of Sydney's west where Folau will soon become the face of the AFL's 18th team.

Folau admits he has become frustrated at times during the controversy surrounding his switch to the AFL.

"It's been a rollercoaster ride over the last month or so," Folau said.

"I have to say I've been frustrated a few times with it all but I've done my best not to show it."

Queensland captain Darren Lockyer hopes Folau will return to rugby league.

"It's pretty sad he's leaving but you always hold out hope he'll be back one day," Lockyer said.

oops :lol:

Paullyboy

Coach
Everyone knows that's what he will do, and as such, the reason I don't hate him still being selected in the QLD team.

But that article reminds me of something I really hate about AFL. They always use the line "we play in front of 100,000 people". That's rubbish. I know they get good crowds, but they exaggerate it something ridiculous. They only get anywhere near that figure twice a year - ANZAC Day and Grand Final. The chances of Folau being involved in anything with more than 40,000 people is absolutely minimal. He'll play in front of more people next Wednesday in a dead-rubber.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
"He might fall in love and never go back," Sheedy told the Herald Sun. "It's up to us. :lol:

Looks like they will have to send Folau down to Melbourne (aka Scientology central) for some AFL brainwashing.........

Demetriou: 'Now Israel, repeat after me, I love AFL and it is a game for everyone'

Folau: 'I am really looking forward to the Challenge'

Sheedy: 'No Israel, that was for the press conference, you need to say 'I love AFL'

Demetriou: 'FFS Sheeds'

Sheedy: 'Don't worry Alex, I will sort it. Israel, look at this big cheque (waves $6m Cheque in front of his eyes), now repeat after me....I LOVE AFL'

Demetriou: 'OK time for Shock Therapy, put on an endless repeat of any Swans game, Pronto'

El Diablo

Post Whore
yeah Shady is on something

his new club wanted a small stadium because they didn't want to play at an empty ANZ

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...r-western-sydney/story-e6frg7mf-1225867938889

GWS and the AFL are reluctant to schedule anything but blockbuster matches at ANZ for fear the small crowds in an 81,000-seat venue will be bad publicity for the start-up club.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ontender-within-five-years-20100619-yo1b.html

Shepherd said GWS would budget for attendances of between 15,000 and 25,000. Most of their home games will be played at the soon-to-be redeveloped Showgrounds, with a capacity of about 30,000.

Brutus

Referee
When he's up there playing in front of 100,000 people in big games he'll love it.

I find this bit interesting from old Kel Shonky. Unless GWS make the GF, there is no way Izzy will be playing in front of 100k crowds. Even 60k crowds.

He will have a better chance of playing in front of 60k plus crowds if he stays in RL.

kmav23

Juniors
I find this bit interesting from old Kel Shonky. Unless GWS make the GF, there is no way Izzy will be playing in front of 100k crowds. Even 60k crowds.

He will have a better chance of playing in front of 60k plus crowds if he stays in RL.

For 6 million dollars i will play in an empty stadium

Who would reject 6 million dollars ?

Paullyboy

Coach
I think everyone has made peace with that, now we are pointing out how ridiculous the AFL's claims are.

kmav23

Juniors
I think everyone has made peace with that, now we are pointing out how ridiculous the AFL's claims are.

Instead of slamming what the AFL are doing why dont we look at what the NRL are doing right.....

they have a ton of money .... massive club members and crowds...

MsStorm

Bench
I couldn't find a link, but here is a snippet from the Herald Sun Melbourne - 27.6.10

"FOLAU ME

There is another Folau on the radar of the AFL, with Israel's youngest brother Eni earmarked as a prodigious talent.

Eni's talent was identified when he was lured to the Sydney Roosters on a scholarship when he was 15 and, with AFL clubs searching far and wide for fresh talent, the 18 year old may be capable of following in the footsteps of Israel, GWS's marquee recruit."

I am sure the Roosters will be happy to hear that:D