What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau joins the Dragons

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
You're referring to the new contract with Catalan Dragons? If he gets booted, does it just mean another round of legal proceedings? Folau has already shown (with his Rugby Union contract), that he is a bit of a loose cannon in this area.

I agree with you, he should stick to any agreement that he signs. It's unfortunate that contracts are not always worth the paper they're written on.

Even after the out-of-court settlement was announced, Folau couldn't wait to claim his 'victory' in the media, which may have been against the terms of the settlement.

We'll see how it plays out with Catalan. Folau hasn't stopped preaching his stuff and if anything he has doubled down.
Well every situation is different. In Margaret Court's case, she never expressed those views while she was playing. To come out in recent times to say that places a sizeable dent on her legacy. Not that she would give a shit.

LOL...just LOL!

SBD82

Coach
Not everyone has to agree, these are only my thoughts after all. We live in a democracy where different perspectives should be encouraged. Personally, I find the hysteria (not to mention hypocrisy) in this never ending saga endlessly amusing, and that one shouldn’t be seduced by media organisations in general.

Unfortunately, after looking at the Lemming style behaviour contained within this thread, it’s palpable that many have been caught up in a tsunami of sensationalism.
Everyone who disagrees with you is being sensational.

You, of course, are the very epitome of rationality.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
One person? This is redolent of Muzby claiming Soward played well at halfback because of a single game against Brisbane in 2097

Silly.
Yes, the Anglican Bishop is just one person. What's silly is that you think he is the only one who disagrees with Folau. Are you seriously that out of touch? Look around, the majority have turned away or distanced themselves from Folau. This includes players and fans. Not just in Australia but internationally. He lost more following comments about the bush fires... comments that were on a Westboro Baptist's level of hate madness.

Even fellow christian PM Scott Morrison labelled Folau's comments as "appallingly insensitive" and "If people don't have something sensible and helpful to say, can you just keep it to yourself?"

Anthony Albanese said Folau's comments were, "reprehensible" and "It would [be] good if people thought before they spoke. These comments certainly won't bring anything positive or constructive to the debate."

Anglican Archdeacon for Justice, Rod Bower, said the comments were, "incredibly damaging and not reflective of God's wishes" and "It is a vulnerable situation and for the young people in the LGBTIQ community, being linked with this (bushfire) catastrophe, this is unbelievably irresponsible."

Even Alan Jones told Folau to, "button up" and “These comments don’t help.”
Link

So yeah... 'just one person'.

But of course, there will always be a band of followers who will continue to go into bat for Israel Folau, even after he is washed up and forgotten.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Yes, the Anglican Bishop is just one person. What's silly is that you think he is the only one who disagrees with Folau. Are you seriously that out of touch? Look around, the majority have turned away or distanced themselves from Folau. This includes players and fans. Not just in Australia but internationally. He lost more following comments about the bush fires... comments that were on a Westboro Baptist's level of hate madness.

Even fellow christian PM Scott Morrison labelled Folau's comments as "appallingly insensitive" and "If people don't have something sensible and helpful to say, can you just keep it to yourself?"

Anthony Albanese said Folau's comments were, "reprehensible" and "It would [be] good if people thought before they spoke. These comments certainly won't bring anything positive or constructive to the debate."

Anglican Archdeacon for Justice, Rod Bower, said the comments were, "incredibly damaging and not reflective of God's wishes" and "It is a vulnerable situation and for the young people in the LGBTIQ community, being linked with this (bushfire) catastrophe, this is unbelievably irresponsible."

Even Alan Jones told Folau to, "button up" and “These comments don’t help.”
Link

So yeah... 'just one person'.

But of course, there will always be a band of followers who will continue to go into bat for Israel Folau, even after he is washed up and forgotten.

LOL at “majority”!

Seemingly you’ve forgotten the amount of everyday folk who were prepared to dig into their own pocket and outlay their own cold, hard cash in order to support his legal costs.

Equally amusing is quoting self-serving politicians. You might as well vomit up Wikipedia as a credible source.

Alan Jones? Seriously? Well he’s going to be objective, huh?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
LOL at “majority”!

Seemingly you’ve forgotten the amount of everyday folk who were prepared to dig into their own pocket and outlay their own cold, hard cash in order to support his legal costs.

Equally amusing is quoting self-serving politicians. You might as well vomit up Wikipedia as a credible source.

Alan Jones? Seriously? Well he’s going to be objective, huh?
Except I didn't use Wikipedia as a source. Is there a reason why you prefer duplicity over honesty?

Alan Jones was in Folau's corner initially, and spouting pretty much the same stuff as you. But even he thought the bigot was going too far. It is interesting reading your views on Alan Jones. Perhaps he's not right wing enough.

The crowd funding episode on GoFundMe from Folau was a clear sign of greed. Appealing to fellow extremists to give a millionaire money on a website that was set up to help battlers. An abuse of his profile done at the expense of less fortunate folk.

After GoFundMe put a stop to it, the Australian Christian Lobby stepped in - a right wing group and they don't like gays.

How much did you donate?

And majority... do you consider your views to be representative of the majority? The silent majority?

Except I didn't use Wikipedia as a source. Is there a reason why you prefer duplicity over honesty?

Alan Jones was in Folau's corner initially, and spouting pretty much the same stuff as you. But even he thought the bigot was going too far. It is interesting reading your views on Alan Jones. Perhaps he's not right wing enough.

The crowd funding episode on GoFundMe from Folau was a clear sign of greed. Appealing to fellow extremists to give a millionaire money on a website that was set up to help battlers. An abuse of his profile done at the expense of less fortunate folk.

After GoFundMe put a stop to it, the Australian Christian Lobby stepped in - a right wing group and they don't like gays.

How much did you donate?

And majority... do you consider your views to be representative of the majority? The silent majority?

lol @ Alan Jones thinking someone has “gone too far.”

I am surprised there was any kind of alliance at first instance given Alan’s fly-fishing incident overseas.

Uncomfortable bed fellows at the start there for sure.

I think Israel should have all the free speech in the world. The more he says, the more people think he is a privileged, self entitled, ignorant and greedy tool of the first order. f**k Israel and f**k his hate.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
lol @ Alan Jones thinking someone has “gone too far.”

I am surprised there was any kind of alliance at first instance given Alan’s fly-fishing incident overseas.

Uncomfortable bed fellows at the start there for sure.

I think Israel should have all the free speech in the world. The more he says, the more people think he is a privileged, self entitled, ignorant and greedy tool of the first order. f**k Israel and f**k his hate.
Have you read any Noam Chomsky? An advocate for open dialogue. IMO, one of the great thinkers of the 20th Century. I suspect he would agree with your last paragraph.

Alas, in previous centuries the religious extremists would have him put to the torch. Against the current 'religious freedom' debate, you can see the contradictions.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

How much did you donate?

No, you didn’t cite ANY source, did you? - only handful of biased individuals.

On the other hand, I used empirical evidence as shown by the public’s generosity in helping someone who they felt hadn’t received a fair rub of the green. Which, of course, Folau didn’t as demonstrated by the ARU’s hastened out of court settlement acquiescence. Those who actively donated funds to a cause they felt was a gross travesty of justice didn’t have a gun out to their collective heads, much to your protestations.

And no, I didn’t fork out a bean....didn’t need to because it was obvious that the ARU’s so-called Code Of Conduct (provided Folau agreed to such in imposition..,doubtful) would eventually be deemed illegal.

Which it is.

I wonder if those calling individuals describing others realise their own hypocrisy? As someone one said, name calling is the first sign of losing a debate.

Have you read any Noam Chomsky? An advocate for open dialogue. IMO, one of the great thinkers of the 20th Century. I suspect he would agree with your last paragraph.

Alas, in previous centuries the religious extremists would have him put to the torch. Against the current 'religious freedom' debate, you can see the contradictions.

I haven’t read his works in particular but I’ve seen him on the internet in talks discussing the hypocrisy of government. I enjoy his polemic and his care for the poor and beleaguered of the word ( especially the third world).

He was very critical of the rewards the bankers received from government following the gfc, the decline of the middle class, the rise in income gap. I think Marx predicted this many years ago, it’s just taken longer to manifest.

Marx wrote about theory and people interpreted in very weird ways.

At the end of his revolution, he said that the state is supposed to wither away. None of the communist countries quite got this far!!

I find zealots and extremists of any persuasion a bit boring and have little to contribute. Israel’s comments are indefensible from a humanitarian perspective, he’s a nut and his God, she is not mine.

Last edited:

giboz71

First Grade
I heard he still hasn’t taken deleted his post off his Instagram? page. If so He’s probably a good chance of repeating.

If there is a repeat of the ARU fiasco at Catalans, his sporting career will be over. He knows this, no sporting code will touch him if he continues down that path.

I was actually surprised he came back to league after he walked away with his ARU settlement. Thought he would just continue his evangelical crusade and be a full time minister.

But given he made himself available for Tonga and has signed with Catalans, it's pretty obvious he still wants to be out there playing.

Not saying he will ever back down from what he said, but unless he is a complete imbecile he knows he needs to tow the line or be rubbed out for good.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
No, you didn’t cite ANY source, did you? - only handful of biased individuals.

On the other hand, I used empirical evidence as shown by the public’s generosity in helping someone who they felt hadn’t received a fair rub of the green. Which, of course, Folau didn’t as demonstrated by the ARU’s hastened out of court settlement acquiescence. Those who actively donated funds to a cause they felt was a gross travesty of justice didn’t have a gun out to their collective heads, much to your protestations.

And no, I didn’t fork out a bean....didn’t need to because it was obvious that the ARU’s so-called Code Of Conduct (provided Folau agreed to such in imposition..,doubtful) would eventually be deemed illegal.

Which it is.

I wonder if those calling individuals describing others realise their own hypocrisy? As someone one said, name calling is the first sign of losing a debate.
I did provide a source.

Look at the word 'Link' in my post, click on it if you like.

I await your retraction. If you're honest enough to do so.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I did provide a source.

Look at the word 'Link' in my post, click on it if you like.

I await your retraction. If you're honest enough to do so.
Don’t stress too much Willow..

He’s just doing his pigeon thing again..

pigeons.jpg