What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau turns back on Eels to play rugby union

strider

Post Whore
Only assuming an equal pro-rata rise in all contracts.

If you weren't so busy seizing on what you perceive to be a flaw in my argument, you would see that I said that the top players will go from about $600k to "a million dollars or more" (my words).

That's more than a 50% increase.

Extrapolating from that you might grasp that my thinking (and I'm not alone; we have discussed it here on this board and everyone with an opinion tended to agree) was that the bigger stars will take up the largest share of the increased cap, with the plebs at the bottom getting the smallest increase (if any). The only way they wouldn't is if the NRL mandated a rise in minimum wage (and I hope they do, and expect they will).

In that instance the players earning slightly more than minimim wage will be the ones getting the least increase in salary. It is even possible that the players currently earning whatever the new minimum salary will become, will see zero increase in their earning ability - i.e. that an increase in the league minimum will lead to an increase in the number of players earning that minimum.

In light of this, the rest of your needlessly aggressive post just reads like a load of old bullshit.

I acknowledge your rage.

i was under the impression they have already upped the minimum wage ... so that will eat some of this rise .... dunno about the future rises, but i guess it shows they are inclined to up the minimum

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
$600K for an AFL player ?

I dont think so

He hasn't played for a while so he has a bit of work to do to get himself back into League and he wont play FB imo so I just cant see us paying that much for a centre

eels81236

Bench
i was under the impression they have already upped the minimum wage ... so that will eat some of this rise .... dunno about the future rises, but i guess it shows they are inclined to up the minimum

I think min wage is about 70k this year. I couldn't be bothered finding the proof/truth, hence, I said think.

ROGUE

Juniors
Any substance to deal unable to be completed due to Isaac Moses not being registered due to his suspension?

The Colonel

Immortal
Any substance to deal unable to be completed due to Isaac Moses not being registered due to his suspension?

I would gather that unlike $BW they will be able to use someone from the management company of Moses thyat can sign on his behalf.

Only assuming an equal pro-rata rise in all contracts.

If you weren't so busy seizing on what you perceive to be a flaw in my argument, you would see that I said that the top players will go from about $600k to "a million dollars or more" (my words).

That's more than a 50% increase.

But you have stated that Israel's $600k is a mid-range deal (really a bumped $400k deal), meaning he is out of that top range that gets the major bump.

So with major players going from $600k to $1m (your words) and a rise in the minimum wage, there goes the small increase the cap will get.

Meaning nothing left for the middle, such as Israel.

Meaning your full of shit, according to yourself.

Thanks.

EelsFan05

Bench
But you have stated that Israel's $600k is a mid-range deal (really a bumped $400k deal), meaning he is out of that top range that gets the major bump.

So with major players going from $600k to $1m (your words) and a rise in the minimum wage, there goes the small increase the cap will get.

Thanks.

I'm starting to like you Hollywood.

eels81236

Bench
That's another funky pic by Izzy in his twitter thing. He likes a hairdo. Does he have a girlfriend?

duck_dodgers

Juniors
has there even been the slightest of hint of a club other than Parra making an enquiry about Folau ?

If not , and he seems to "want" to play for Parra ...

why the reported big bucks being offered ?

&

why the delay ?

are his management trying to get a 2nd or 3rd bidder to the auction ?

and what club would bother being that 2nd or 3rd bidder when it seems like a done deal for the Eels ?

Hope Izzy didnt give all that money AFL away to Hillsong ...

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
has there even been the slightest of hint of a club other than Parra making an enquiry about Folau ?

If not , and he seems to "want" to play for Parra ...

why the reported big bucks being offered ?

&

why the delay ?

are his management trying to get a 2nd or 3rd bidder to the auction ?

and what club would bother being that 2nd or 3rd bidder when it seems like a done deal for the Eels ?

Hope Izzy didnt give all that money AFL away to Hillsong ...

I cant imagine that many clubs have the cap space that we do

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Where did I state that? I see you don't even have (your words) after this alleged quote. Don't invent strawmen and then carry on like a tough merkin when you refute your own argument.

What I said was:

$600k is still a big contract, and teams will only be able to afford a couple of them under the new cap, but it's now for the second tier stars - guys who used to be on about $400k.

Hardly a "mid-range deal" (your words).

And what about the majority of teams that don't have a player of Hayne's calibre (and price)? For most teams (e.g. Manly and Canterbury), their best and highest paid players are "second tier stars" (my words) and these teams will "be able to afford a couple of them" (my words).

So guys like Foran and Barba will see an increase of about 50%, while Hayne and Thurston will get an increased salary of 70% or more.

The minimum wage will go up and more players will fall into that category - so players previously on $55k will now be on $70k (or whatever it is) and all the players previously on $55-$70k will also be on $70k.

The middle tier of salaries ($150-250k which included the old average wage of about $170k) will see some increase but only marginally. The vast majority of the increase will go to the stars, including the second tier stars (my words) - picture a Lorenz curve.

Professional sports is a winner-takes-all market. That's because the stars (including the second tier stars) are the ones driving the NRL's popularity. The only thing keeping a leash on the distribution of wealth is the salary cap and the existence of minimum salary.

You think half a million dollars is in the middle? :lol: Shows what a waste of time Maths in Society was.

Thanks.

lol

Latest posts