What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau turns back on Eels to play rugby union

boxhead

First Grade
I don't think so ME - that's the kind of money you would think Hayne or Thurston would earn, not Folau. I don't know but Crawley boy is basing his entire article on the fact that Folau would be too expensive to play at centre or wing when he doesn't even know the correct figure.

Tony Bongo

Bench
That's only 625 k's a season.
I'm happy with that.

Suity

Me too if that's true. He will make more than that for the club in no time and is probably way cheaper than SBW. With Folau drawing a great deal of attention next year and Hopoate the year after, we should get a lot more interest from sponsors etc. Both of them are cleanskins too and will provide a good image for our club. Well done to all involved in bringing both of them to the club and in particular Peter Nolan.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don't think so ME - that's the kind of money you would think Hayne or Thurston would earn, not Folau. I don't know but Crawley boy is basing his entire article on the fact that Folau would be too expensive to play at centre or wing when he doesn't even know the correct figure.

You have to adjust your thinking now that the salary cap is going up.

$600k used to be elite (Hayne, Thurston, Marshall) money. Now those guys will be on a million dollars or more.

$600k is still a big contract, and teams will only be able to afford a couple of them under the new cap, but it's now for the second tier stars - guys who used to be on about $400k.

The kinds of players on this amount of money will be almost exclusively spine players, with the odd star back rower (Thaiday, Gallen et al).

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

$600k used to be elite (Hayne, Thurston, Marshall) money. Now those guys will be on a million dollars or more.

$600k is still a big contract, and teams will only be able to afford a couple of them under the new cap, but it's now for the second tier stars - guys who used to be on about $400k.

The kinds of players on this amount of money will be almost exclusively spine players, with the odd star back rower (Thaiday, Gallen et al).

Hey PE - I am curious of your opinion, considering the rumoured amount izzy is asking of 600k per year - do u reckon he is worth signing ?

With sandow /hoppa and hopefully Hayne , on big money in the backline - I hope we aren't creating an imbalance within squad in consideration to amount of money spent on backs.

It's going up, what, $700k, across the entire team? With how much of that being absorbed by a rise in the minimum contract size? No guarantees on what it will be after that.

You have to adjust your thinking to stop being such a self-absorbed twat. You continue to illustrate that you know nothing.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Hey PE - I am curious of your opinion, considering the rumoured amount izzy is asking of 600k per year - do u reckon he is worth signing ?

I think it's too much for a winger or centre, so I did think it's too much and therefore not worth it. But if he's coming to play fullback then it's not too much.

The question is how will he go at fullback. I guess he has a few of the key skills in abundance, but he was never known for passing the ball, and there are question marks over his ability with bouncing kicks.

At least with the size he has lost, he won't be too big for his knees. Hopefully.

With sandow /hoppa and hopefully Hayne , on big money in the backline - I hope we aren't creating an imbalance within squad in consideration to amount of money spent on backs.

This is my concern too. That said, if there are no good forwards on the market we may as well have average forwards and shit hot backs than average forwards and merely good backs.

I thought Hopoate was coming to play fullback but he can certainly play centre, and with the figure thrown around ($850k) he isn't on massive money. That amount is surely over two or more years, and $400k isn't too much to pay for a centre.

I think having a fullback and two halves on big money is acceptable use of the salary cap, which might be the case with Folau (sorry, Falou) and Hayne and Sandow in the squad.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It's going up, what, $700k, across the entire team?

It will go up a lot more than that over the duration of the contracts currently being negotiated.

With how much of that being absorbed by a rise in the minimum contract size? No guarantees on what it will be after that.

You have to adjust your thinking to stop being such a self-absorbed twat. You continue to illustrate that you know nothing.

blah blah blah the end

IFR33K

Coach
I think it's too much for a winger or centre, so I did think it's too much and therefore not worth it. But if he's coming to play fullback then it's not too much.

The question is how will he go at fullback. I guess he has a few of the key skills in abundance, but he was never known for passing the ball, and there are question marks over his ability with bouncing kicks.

At least with the size he has lost, he won't be too big for his knees. Hopefully.

This is my concern too. That said, if there are no good forwards on the market we may as well have average forwards and shit hot backs than average forwards and merely good backs.

I thought Hopoate was coming to play fullback but he can certainly play centre, and with the figure thrown around ($850k) he isn't on massive money. That amount is surely over two or more years, and $400k isn't too much to pay for a centre.

I think having a fullback and two halves on big money is acceptable use of the salary cap, which might be the case with Folau (sorry, Falou) and Hayne and Sandow in the squad.

I don't often agree with you, but I do in this post.

600k is too much for a winger or centre. If we were paying that much, than I'd rather see him in the centres.

My biggest concern with him at fullback would be his defence. He was never a good defender. His positional play would also be a worry.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I don't often agree with you, but I do in this post.

600k is too much for a winger or centre. If we were paying that much, than I'd rather see him in the centres.

My biggest concern with him at fullback would be his defence. He was never a good defender. His positional play would also be a worry.

I agree it is to much for a winger/centre - I can't see him playing full back - he is currently 97 kgs according to reports and would easily put on another 5-10 kgs when he returns and he was never known for his blistering pace so I doubt full back will be his spot. I actually reckon his future is in the second row - really it is only one spot in from centre and with his size he should be able adapt to it easily. When he first started in the nrl it was reported he would one day be a forward.

Last edited:

strider

Post Whore
i don't think hoppas 850k was over 2 seasons .... it may be media inflated and be the usual absolute max he could earn if he makes a heap of incentives that the media grab hold of so often, but i reckon he'll be on more than 850k over 2 years

It will go up a lot more than that over the duration of the contracts currently being negotiated.

Thanks, Captain Obvious. You have such great insight into all things.

Care to say by how much, specifically?

Because if a $400k contract turns into a $600k contract (your words) then we're looking at a 50% rise. Considering that will be phased in you're already up shit creek before the contract has even been signed.

It won't go up that much before the contract is up, meaning you're full of shit (big surprise!). The best you can hope for is that level will be reached by the end of the 4-year contract, making every year before that a situation of paying overs.

Next year is an ~17% increase, meaning a $400k contract goes up to $470k, making you full of shit (yet again, big surprise!).

You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

The Colonel

Immortal
Eels or bust

ISRAEL FOLAU has been telling those close to him the only place he wants to play next year is at the Eels - and what's more he is prepared to take a significant pay hit to do so. Third-party deals will play a big part in his next deal - something NRL salary cap auditor Ian Schubert will keep a close eye on. He will have sponsors jumping out of the ground to throw money his way. If he is on the Eels cap for a couple of hundred thousand dollars next year the NRL should just cop it. There is no way Folau will turn the Eels into a premiership-winning side but he is just the sort of player to get fans through the turnstiles. Ricky Stuart had his eyes on Folau from the moment he took up the role as Eels coach - the gradual shedding of players has been a tactic to bring the AFL star within their grasp. The reality is they thought he may come up next year but a trip to the US with Eels players certainly played a part in his sudden decision. He has many mates at the club, including Jarryd Hayne, Tim Mannah and Joseph Paulo. As this column revealed some weeks ago, it is his dream to play league alongside his brother John, who plays in Parramatta's lower grades. Folau mentioned to me a few weeks ago he loved watching league and didn't watch the AFL unless necessary.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/barba-loses-cool-in-home-town-20121103-28rdx.html#ixzz2BAGnM6DS

The Colonel

Immortal
The code-Hoppa
FORMER Manly and Origin star Will Hopoate was one of the key figures in convincing Israel Folau to quit GWS to join the Parramatta Eels.
The two Tongan boys are both Mormon and they have been close family friends for years.
Hopoate, who returns to rugby league at the Eels in 2014, has been in weekly contact with Folau about his football future.
Parramatta coach Ricky Stuart respects Hopoate's religious beliefs and has ruled out trying to convince him to return to the club 12 months earlier than planned.
Folau's signing - to be officially confirmed next week - will hardly surprise readers of this column.
We wrote the story months ago and even put Folau in a Parramatta jersey to show Eels fans what they could look forward to.
Stuart was talking to his camp from the moment he signed to coach but kept it quiet so Folau could tell GWS in his own time.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/ca...d-whats-the-buzz/story-fndujljl-1226509774745

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
i don't think hoppas 850k was over 2 seasons .... it may be media inflated and be the usual absolute max he could earn if he makes a heap of incentives that the media grab hold of so often, but i reckon he'll be on more than 850k over 2 years

Why do you think that?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Thanks, Captain Obvious. You have such great insight into all things.

Care to say by how much, specifically?

Because if a $400k contract turns into a $600k contract (your words) then we're looking at a 50% rise.

Only assuming an equal pro-rata rise in all contracts.

If you weren't so busy seizing on what you perceive to be a flaw in my argument, you would see that I said that the top players will go from about $600k to "a million dollars or more" (my words).

That's more than a 50% increase.

Extrapolating from that you might grasp that my thinking (and I'm not alone; we have discussed it here on this board and everyone with an opinion tended to agree) was that the bigger stars will take up the largest share of the increased cap, with the plebs at the bottom getting the smallest increase (if any). The only way they wouldn't is if the NRL mandated a rise in minimum wage (and I hope they do, and expect they will).

In that instance the players earning slightly more than minimim wage will be the ones getting the least increase in salary. It is even possible that the players currently earning whatever the new minimum salary will become, will see zero increase in their earning ability - i.e. that an increase in the league minimum will lead to an increase in the number of players earning that minimum.

In light of this, the rest of your needlessly aggressive post just reads like a load of old bullshit.

Considering that will be phased in you're already up shit creek before the contract has even been signed.

It won't go up that much before the contract is up, meaning you're full of shit (big surprise!). The best you can hope for is that level will be reached by the end of the 4-year contract, making every year before that a situation of paying overs.

Next year is an ~17% increase, meaning a $400k contract goes up to $470k, making you full of shit (yet again, big surprise!).

You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

I acknowledge your rage.