What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau turns back on Eels to play rugby union

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
yeah - our depth is sensational .... jarryd hayne gets injured and we get the spoon

:lol:

Depth will never cover for the loss of a star player. Unless you think we should carry another star in reserve grade just in case. :lol:

Even the best teams struggle without their best player. Look at the Storm last year while Slater was out.

Depth is to cover the loss of the 'solid first grader' category of player. Once your stars are gone you're f**ked. There's no way to cover that kind of loss.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
With the size and quality of our junior nursery, we should always have exceptional backup to most clubs. We have totally stuffed up the top 17, by mismanagement of the cap. No ifs or buts, not to mention the talent coming through until just recently thanks to Peter Nolan and Ricky Stuart it would seem.

We share our junior nursery with every other Sydney team. Why would you expect there to be any advantage to us? It's not like we have exclusive right to any local juniors.

emjaycee

Coach
If my source is to be believed i was told our cap was f**ked until 2014... And that was the position in Nov 2010.

Parra Pride

Referee
8 years, even better. Ah yes, 3 appearances in 2004, you are right. I have always thought that it would be worth it to re-sign smith due to this. Hayne will be playing his eighth season next year, but can it only be paid to a certain amount of players like the marquee player allowance thing? I gotta read up on this..

I don't think there is a limit on players, there is a limit on amount however.

#$200KIBelieve

Stagger eel

Staff member
If my source is to be believed i was told our cap was f**ked until 2014... And that was the position in Nov 2010.

yep, don't wanna brag but I've been told for about year it's been f**ked until 14, as Hindyrulz rightly pointed out, it's been a mess since Zapp left and paying players that are no longer at our club has cause a massive snowball affect the following years...we've got another season of doom and gloom, but the best news is that we'll be hearing about some decent signigns for 14 throughout the year..

Jodeci was 100% spot on and was one of the first to tell us all that it was a mess some 6 months ago..

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I think what it means is that we have more money tied up in fringe first graders (ie. players competing for a first grade place) than the top clubs. What this means is we have better depth (we have more backups capable of playing first grade) but our top 17 in any given game will be weaker than the top clubs (because a larger number of them will be fringe first graders).

The downside of this 'rotation system' are that with a more even spread of talent (apart from Hayne and Sandow and Folau if he comes), there is only so much of the salary cap we can fit on the field at any one time. This is why it is proven in pro sports (especially under a salary cap) that the best way to manage a squad is to have a clear 'first team' and backups. Too much rotation - too even the spread of talent throughout the squad (and I mean between first team and backups, not within the first team itself) just leads to mediocrity. The upside is it makes it easier to cope with injury.

Yep. Fair call. I would be happy to trade in several wood ducks for a few well established first graders. This would also mean that the pick of the wood ducks that remained would have a much greater chance of development.

El Diablo

Post Whore
f**k it

just rort the cap next year and play for no points. it's not like we'll win the premiership anyway

that will set us up for a shot in 2014 and onwards

worked for Melbourne and the Dogs

Stagger eel

Staff member
f**k it

just rort the cap next year and play for no points. it's not like we'll win the premiership anyway

that will set us up for a shot in 2014 and onwards

worked for Melbourne and the Dogs

and the rort difference will be the amount shubert thinks we should pay him minus the 110 or whatever it is we can pay him with...

we seem to be complying and being transparent with the NRL and yet we'll be punished for it whilst the Dogs and Storms systamatically rorted it and were rewarded with premierships 2 years later...what a f**king joke

The Colonel

Immortal
but the best news is that we'll be hearing about some decent signigns for 14 throughout the year..

Yawn...... sorry mate but have heard that every year since Smith left. Won't worry about membership renewals for this year as it just seems like another waste of time.

If it has been f**ked since 2010 there is only one mob to blame and that comes fairly and squarely back on the board. Chopping and changing coaches every 18 months has been the biggest issue because each coach wants to work with their own squad. While they remain 2014 and beyond doesn't look any brighter unless they leave well alone. They've caused the mess and now have the coach whinging on their behalf trying to fix it..... throwing money at the likes of Folau, Lewis, Williams and co seemes only to further complicate an already f**ked up mess anyway.

Last edited:

boxhead

First Grade
But do you think we'll still sign Folau Staggs?

Thanks by the way for the info, hopefully this mess sorts itself out in 2014.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
and the rort difference will be the amount shubert thinks we should pay him minus the 110 or whatever it is we can pay him with...

we seem to be complying and being transparent with the NRL and yet we'll be punished for it whilst the Dogs and Storms systamatically rorted it and were rewarded with premierships 2 years later...what a f**king joke
Yep it really makes you wonder :? Why bother doing the right thing??? Same as producing heaps of junior talent that only gets poached.

emjaycee

Coach
Stagger, i find it interesting that ever since Nolan and Kearney arrived and found our cap in such as shot position they only signed young and up and comers for beyond 2013.
Its kind of like they saw where we were cap wise, knew it couldn't be fixed for a few years and started building a squad that would be here in 2014 with some experience behind it and within the cap.
Kelly, Lussick, Sandow, Harrison, Blair, Hoppa all fit that bill. W Tonga was only signed until end of 2013 and Esi was just a mistake u sometimes make.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Kearney and Nolan signed or resigned just about every merkin at the club. How it's anyone elses fault, the cap mess we are in, is f**king amazing.

Stagger, i find it interesting that ever since Nolan and Kearney arrived and found our cap in such as shot position they only signed young and up and comers for beyond 2013.
Its kind of like they saw where we were cap wise, knew it couldn't be fixed for a few years and started building a squad that would be here in 2014 with some experience behind it and within the cap.
Kelly, Lussick, Sandow, Harrison, Blair, Hoppa all fit that bill. W Tonga was only signed until end of 2013 and Esi was just a mistake u sometimes make.

Fair call, though some of the ingrates on here will bang on about the dads army signings that we rolled the dice on last year trying to fill some glaring gaps in the roster.

Stagger eel

Staff member

I find it interesting how everyone blames Kearney, SK walked into the mess and walked out with the club still reeling..maybe, the 5 year plan was not a facade afterall, maybe Kearney thought it would take 5 years to fix it up...

mmm! maybe not!

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Well you just have to read the posts of some of the deluded in here to realise how it's palatable. Some are f**king deluded.

Last edited by a moderator: