What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau turns back on Eels to play rugby union

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I was under the impression you can no longer alter existing deals.

#HayneRe-signingWouldHaveNoAffect

If it is a contract extension then it's not an existing deal; it's a new contract. So if he re-signs now, then next year's allocation out of his old contract is made void - all that matters is next year's allocation out of his new contract.

The key is it has to be a contract extension. An existing contract can't be re-jigged if the duration remains the same.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
What a load of crap. Of course it does (sort of)!

2010 cap = $4.1m, which is ~ 25% increase to $5m in 2013.

25% of $250k = $62.5k = $312.5k in 2013.

Even worse, cap increases lead to more for the big names, less for the averages ($250k), meaning you'd probably only be looking at (guessing) $50k for the mid range guys as the top dogs eat up the rest.

In order for $250 = $400k you're looking at 6 guys on $250k (which I'd say every club would have) getting the entire raise with nothing going to minimum wage, nothing to marquee players and nothing to anyone else. No one. At all.

To suggest that is the case is the height of stupidity.

So I guess no one is surprised to see Poupou suggesting it...

:lol: Average players are on $250k are they? We've been through this before.

The average top 25 salary is currently (in 2012) $172k, however as you've suggested, the higher earners take a disproportionate amount of the cash (I've already shown you a Lorenz curve). This means an average player earns less than the average salary.

If the average salary is $172k and the average player earns less than that, then your assertion that an average player is on $250k is demonstrably wrong.

QED merkin.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
...oh wait, now I do.

I believe one of these blokes had a gutful, Gary.

brothers-bros-431x300.jpg

Noise

Coach
:lol: Average players are on $250k are they? We've been through this before.

The average top 25 salary is currently (in 2012) $172k, however as you've suggested, the higher earners take a disproportionate amount of the cash (I've already shown you a Lorenz curve). This means an average player earns less than the average salary.

If the average salary is $172k and the average player earns less than that, then your assertion that an average player is on $250k is demonstrably wrong.

QED merkin.

Can you give us an example of an average player who is earning less than the average salary?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Can you give us an example of an average player who is earning less than the average salary?

I don't see you asking for an example of an average player earning $250k. bartman would f**king splinter if he saw you carrying on like that.

But if you're trying to pick a hole in my argument you first need to get yourself up to speed on this: http://www.darwinsfinance.com/median-mean-definition/

Bear in mind I used the term 'average' in place of both 'mean' and 'median' (and 'mode' too considering the amount of players likely to be on minimum salary). This is because I wanted low achievers like yourself to be able to understand my point.

Silly me.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yes they could but that is not what i was asking Pou. Im just interested in some examples of these average players earning less than the average wage

Would examples prove or disprove the assertion that an average player could (and likely does) earn less than the average (mean) salary?

If not then why did you ask for them?

Noise

Coach
I don't see you asking for an example of an average player earning $250k. bartman would f**king splinter if he saw you carrying on like that.

But if you're trying to pick a hole in my argument you first need to get yourself up to speed on this: http://www.darwinsfinance.com/median-mean-definition/

Bear in mind I used the term 'average' in place of both 'mean' and 'median' (and 'mode' too considering the amount of players likely to be on minimum salary). This is because I wanted low achievers like yourself to be able to understand my point.

Silly me.

A simple "No i don't know any average players that are earning less than the average wage" would have sufficed.

A high achiever like yourself shouldn't mix up median and mean. Even us low achievers know they are different but at times can be similar

Sorry guys, I didn't intend to turn this into a stats class. But the fact that people use the term 'average' in several different contexts explains a lot why people get into arguments.

For anyone who wants real fun, you can investigate skewness and kurtosis in wages and abilities.....or just sink another cold one.

Latest posts