What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau turns back on Eels to play rugby union

hineyrulz

Post Whore
For real.. what a hilarious post
Well I$$ie had his heart set on playing with Parra, his mates and his little Bro. Nek Minnit he's off to Yawnion.

Quad even said the other day I leave all decisions up to my manager and I'm sure most players are the same.

EelsFan05

Bench
You would HAVE to wonder what Israel is thinking in all this??

He just quit AFL because it was boring (despite being paid 3x what he would be earning playing for us); and now it's alleged he would be making 2x as much as he could make for us by playing French rugby (let's remember, that's 2/3rds of the deal he just walked away from).

So he played a sport he didn't like, and walked away from it to play another sport he probably won't like, but for less cash. Imbecile??

Of course it's possible that the sudden 'indecision' is based on Izzy saying 'heck no' to RU?

From what I'm reading, seems we would've been paying the guy $310k next season, which is an excellent deal for an Australian quality centre. Sad that his great desire to play for us (at $110k per year) suddenly became a great desire to earn $600k..... odd.

Plus he has to go half way around the world for the privilege. Weird we haven't heard anything from the man himself yet.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
"We want people here who are genuine rugby league people and they are team players," Edwards said. "They're not individuals who jump around taking the best offer here and there in different sports for themselves."

looks like he's no chance for 2014 either

why can't we get our shit together?

Avenger

Immortal
:lol: Poor 'Vengy. It hurts so bad he didn't sign doesn't it. Lol. Throw all the insult you like. Getting under my skin takes more than childish jibes. I know I am we'll under yours.

Under my skin ? Now I'm laughing. Your posts are just like that annoying little mosquito that flys near your ear at night. I'll give you that.

Last edited:

Avenger

Immortal
Anyway back to Izzy. This reminds me of a similar situation when Lyon was supposed to be coming back to us and ended up with Manly. I would blacklist him now.

strider

Post Whore
You would HAVE to wonder what Israel is thinking in all this??

He just quit AFL because it was boring (despite being paid 3x what he would be earning playing for us); and now it's alleged he would be making 2x as much as he could make for us by playing French rugby (let's remember, that's 2/3rds of the deal he just walked away from).

So he played a sport he didn't like, and walked away from it to play another sport he probably won't like, but for less cash. Imbecile??

Of course it's possible that the sudden 'indecision' is based on Izzy saying 'heck no' to RU?

From what I'm reading, seems we would've been paying the guy $310k next season, which is an excellent deal for an Australian quality centre. Sad that his great desire to play for us (at $110k per year) suddenly became a great desire to earn $600k..... odd.

I don't know why people are thinking he was only going to get $110K .... I would bet my left nut that there were a heap of 3rd party deals ontop of that

HankScorpio

Juniors
I think you guys just dodged a bullet. He was always chasing the money, and it's not worth putting yourselves in a hole in 2014 and beyond to try to accommodate him.

Rebuilding sucks, but I think this is the best outcome for you.

TeHEel

Juniors
The only thing that would really annoy me about this fiasco would be if the NRL worked out a deal to get him to play in 2003 and another club ie Dragons then picking him up...

If he goes to Europe that would be fine as I could understand his reasoning, but a club other than the one that has busted their hump to get deal in place would be beyond me..

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...phing-over-sense/story-e6frexnr-1226527791765

Israel Folau situation has now become a circus act
Paul Kent
The Daily Telegraph
December 01, 2012 12:00AM

ALL that remains for Israel Folau is a nose ring which, for six per cent, the early betting says his manager will happily insert.

Big Izzy, as docile as a circus bear, has been dragged under the hot lights and made to look a fool again.

He stands for money and little else.

After holidaying with his manager Isaac Moses, who is supposedly suspended by the NRL at the moment but apparently goes about his business quite happily, Folau returned for the new AFL season so unhappy at GWS he called Ricky Stuart personally. He told him he couldn't bear one more Aussie rules training session and that he wanted to play at Parramatta.

Close to tears, he said his brother was at Parramatta, his mates were at Parramatta.

Stuart realised the Eels were close to their cap and threw a top-end figure at him. Money wasn't an issue, Folau said, he just wanted to come back and be happy again.

Calls were made, AFL boss Andrew Demetriou became aware, and Demetriou assured everybody involved that all Folau had to do was be genuine and respectful and the AFL would let him out of his contract.

As simple as that, he was.

Demetriou was smart. For all the battle lines between the NRL and AFL, Demetriou didn't want a player in the game who was clearly so unhappy, and if the phone call to Stuart was leaked it would embarrass the AFL deeply.

Now it appears Demetriou got played, like Stuart got played.

Indeed, everyone got played as Folau, the dancing bear, heads overseas for a rich contract in the third and final code, rugby union.

Would Demetriou have released him if he had said he wanted to play rugby union for great sums of money?

Everybody thought Folau's intentions were true.

It took some bravery to contact Stuart, and when it was all finally done Folau looked like a mixed up kid that got briefly swayed by the big AFL dollars but was back on track.

Folau was no longer a sideshow.

The NRL was supposed to right all that. Few realise, but as late as Wednesday it looked as though the deal had been done to bring Folau to the NRL. After Folau's release last month it looked a mere formality to sign with Parramatta and resume the trajectory his career was taking.

Then salary cap auditor Ian Schubert got involved.

When the NRL finally sits down and re-examines this whole sorry saga, and it should, this is where improvements need to be made. The game simply took too long to get it over the line. Folau could have been signed away by now, a great triumph for the game. Instead, the delay gave Moses time to hunt around.

In the end, the Eels took a gamble on the rise in the salary cap and included that in their revamped deal - more than the initial offer Stuart suggested to Folau - to satisfy the NRL.With little pushback from headquarters, chief executive Ken Edwards called Folau and Titan Management in Wednesday to tell them the deal looked ready to be greenlit. "We were able to table an unconditional offer that met all their requirements," Edwards said last night.Certainly nobody in that meeting said it was unsatisfactory.

The money seemed enough until yesterday, when a bigger offer came in, and once more Folau was dragged out to dance under the lights.

good riddance you greedy merkin

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I$$ie is a turd, but his manager is far worse. He should have got life after the Storm saga and the prick seems to hate our club for some reason.

TeHEel

Juniors
I$$ie is a turd, but his manager is far worse. He should have got life after the Storm saga and the prick seems to hate our club for some reason.

They have more players at the Eels than any other club. They have no players at the titans. Work out which club they do not like working with.

keitel

Juniors
I was just thinking that if Folaus cotract with French was only one year, it may be part of a plan to get him to Parra for 2014 after many contracts have ended. Is this a go?

cv8z

Juniors
They have more players at the Eels than any other club. They have no players at the titans. Work out which club they do not like working with.

we have the same as the dogs
they love parra and it's juniors it appears
interesting that a lot of the players we have been linked to in the past year and have not ended up with us are under his management