What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau turns back on Eels to play rugby union

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...527785269?sv=c1a8b6e0a7a5428158a5fffb00328edd

Eels shocked by Israel Folau's betrayal
BY: STUART HONEYSETT From: The Australian December 01, 2012 12:00AM

ISRAEL Folau has committed the ultimate act of betrayal after turning his back on the NRL club that helped secure his release from the AFL to switch codes - again- and play rugby union.

Folau informed the Eels yesterday he would not be taking up an unconditional offer, which had finally received NRL approval, to return to the code.

Instead, it is believed he will head overseas to pursue a career with a French rugby union team in a deal worth an estimated $1 million a season, spurning a competitive offer from the Eels that was reportedly $3m over four years.

"This has come as something of a surprise to us today," Eels chief executive Ken Edwards said.

"Our offer to Israel was unconditional.

"We have worked closely with the NRL and have always been confident that salary cap issues would be resolved.

"It is disappointing that Izzy at this stage has chosen to pursue another path."

Folau's decision also caught the NRL off guard.

Interim chief executive Shane Mattiske was in contact with Titan management after the Eels' deal had fallen through and wasn't convinced the matter was over. "The Eels have been advised by Israel's management that he isn't coming to the club," Mattiske said.

"It hasn't been confirmed to us at this point in time that he isn't coming to rugby league. I'm still in discussions with his management and they are yet to confirm he's definitely going."

It is the second time in his career Folau has been swayed by the riches from another code.

He left the NRL last year to become the pin-up boy for the new AFL franchise Greater Western Sydney Giants in a deal that was worth $1.5m a year.

The Weekend Australian understands that Folau and Titan Management approached the Eels earlier this year to ask for help in negotiating a release for him. The former NRL star was less than impressive in AFL and was keen to leave but still had another two years to go on his contract.

Newly appointed Parramatta coach Ricky Stuart and football manager Peter Nolen led the charge to bring Folau home while chief executive Edwards also played his part after landing the top job at the club in late October.

By the end of October, Folau held a press conference signalling the end of his troubled AFL career and trumpeting his intentions to return to the NRL, with the Eels his club of choice.

However, The Weekend Australian learned yesterday that Folau's management had approached the Queensland Reds to see if there were any opportunities in rugby well before he had negotiated his release from the AFL.

Bigger cracks began to appear when Stuart expressed his frustration at the NRL over the red tape the Eels had to cut through to sign Folau.

NRL salary cap auditor Ian Schubert knocked back several attempts by the club to squeeze him into their $5m salary cap after valuing him at $400,000.

The rumours started that Folau could head overseas to play rugby union in France or Japan if a solution could not be found quickly. That appeared to finally arrive yesterday when a proposal was tabled to increase the salary cap to at least $5.1m next year and the marquee player allowance by an extra $100,000 to $400,000.

The Eels were confident those marginal increases would be enough for them to fit Folau in for next year, although they were nervous as it had not officially been signed-off on.

Players are seeking more and another meeting between the NRL and the players' union is scheduled for Friday.

The Eels are believed to be furious.

"We want people here who are genuine rugby league people and they are team players," Edwards said. "They're not individuals who jump around taking the best offer here and there in different sports for themselves."

magpie4ever

First Grade
We should sack Folau's brother immediately in response.

I have seen John (Sione) play schoolboy, club and rep football over a number of years and I can say he has been selected, in my mind, due to his bro's name, he has many shortcomings in his game; namely his defence is shitenhousen.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I have seen John (Sione) play schoolboy, club and rep football over a number of years and I can say he has been selected, in my mind, due to his bro's name, he has many shortcomings in his game; namely his defence is shitenhousen.

Runs in the family then. Israel's best position is wing (where he is awesome) - his defence is too shaky for the centres.

strider

Post Whore
i would think the longer it goes without anything from izzy or his knob manager the more likely its all gone to poo

Willow

Assistant Moderator
http://leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=23415

Israel Folau rejects Eels Offer
Written by: National Rugby League
Nov 30, 2012 5:17pm

The Parramatta Eels and the NRL have been advised today that Israel Folau has not accepted a formal offer put forward by the club and that he will not play in the NRL in 2013.

The Eels made an unconditional offer to Folau this week but he has advised the club today that he will not accept the agreement.

Both the NRL and the Club had been working to ensure that Folau could be signed within the parameters of the Salary Cap and both believed that significant progress was being made.

“This has come as something of a surprise to us today,” Eels Chief Executive Mr Ken Edwards said today.

“Our offer to Israel was unconditional.

“We have worked closely with the NRL and have always been confident that Salary Cap issues would be resolved.

“It is disappointing that Izzie at this stage has chosen to pursue another path but we’ve also been clear that we are about having players who are focussed on what we are trying to achieve as a club.

“It is why we had previously ruled out short term appearances with other codes.

“We are comfortable with our current playing roster ahead of the 2013 season.”

NRL Interim Chief Executive Shane Mattiske had met with Folau’s representatives before the former Storm star announced his intention to quit AFL and had met with Parramatta to address Salary Cap issues since then:

“We worked in good faith with the club to ensure that Israel’s contract could be met within the Cap and it is unfortunate that he has elected to pursue another path.

“It would have been nice to see Israel back in the NRL because it is the game he is most suited to and the one that I think would have given him the biggest challenge in facing the best athletes in the most exciting contests week in and week out.

“Ultimately though it is his choice and we have to respect that.

“I think Parramatta has done everything possible and we have certainly worked closely with them in that process.”
Post and article restored (from yesterday).

Y2Eel

First Grade
He would have been a good signing for any club but we need to get other positions filled by better quality players and not wasting cap space on a 400 grand a year winger..

What a shambles poorly handled by all involved. In particular the NRL but the biggest prick of all was Folau in the end. He took us for a ride.... Every dog has his day!!

Well, I guess he said right from the start that all options were open, and it looks like he / his manager may have been using our highest offer to up his price in French rugby.

TeHEel

Juniors
Well, I guess he said right from the start that all options were open, and it looks like he / his manager may have been using our highest offer to up his price in French rugby.

Our price was never going to "up" his value in Rugby - we can thank the delay increasing the salary cap for that

El Diablo

Post Whore
Our price was never going to "up" his value in Rugby - we can thank the delay increasing the salary cap for that

If he'd decided much earlier to quit fumbleball then the club would have had more money

By the time he quit just about every club had finalised their roster and didn't have much left to spend

strider

Post Whore
i just wonder what he's gonna do after his european jaunt .... french rugby is never a long term thing and there is no way he will be happy there

so where is he gonna go when he comes back? .... wonder if he already has something lined up elsewhere??? back to brisy maybe? jakes mates at the dogs?