What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau turns back on Eels to play rugby union

Ratchy

Juniors
Not defending Izzy or Moses, but it is a little different for a football player, because their playing career is a lot shorter than most people's professional career, and can be cut even shorter by injury. And as you've noted, he's unlikely to move smoothly into an investment banking career upon his retirement from footy.

Stop talking sense it's easier to be bitter!!

Kornstar

Coach
Not defending Izzy or Moses, but it is a little different for a football player, because their playing career is a lot shorter than most people's professional career, and can be cut even shorter by injury. And as you've noted, he's unlikely to move smoothly into an investment banking career upon his retirement from footy.

That is partly true, contractors who get their $1,000+ a day are not guaranteed to get that for the rest of their lives either. The market could easily dry up.

The top line players like Izzy are the ones with less to worry about than the minimum wage players........

Tbh, I don't really care about him not actually signing, Poupou mentioned in another thread that he would really only benefit us next year, which is correct. It would have been nice but I'm not that upset.

It could have been handled way better from all parties and I certainly think less of Izzy now but our club will go on and I will continue to support them.........

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/folau-linked-to-waratahs-20121201-2ao7y.html

Folau linked to Waratahs
Date
December 1, 2012 - 8:41PM

James MacSmith

AAP

Super Rugby's NSW Waratahs have emerged as a shock home possibility for code-hopper Israel Folau.

The former Australian rugby league international quit AFL's Greater Western Sydney Giants last month claiming he wanted to return to the NRL with Parramatta.

But after stunning Eels management on Friday with the announcement he would not join them for the 2013 season or beyond - despite the club and the NRL agreeing on a deal that would fit within Parramatta's salary cap - Super Rugby are believed to have emerged as the frontrunners for his services.

The Eels are furious, believing Folau used them as a stepping stone to rugby union
where the Waratahs have firmed as favourites to win his signature.

Folau has always maintained he wanted to continue to live and play in Sydney where he is close to his church and his mates, giving Super Rugby battlers NSW - who ended the 2012 season on an eight-game losing streak - the inside running.

His acquisition would give the ailing Waratahs, who have struggled for crowds and media space in an increasingly crowded market, a real boost.

"Are the Waratahs on the cards? Definitely ...", a source close to Folau's camp told AAP.

After struggling to adapt to life in the AFL, Folau's undoubted talents would seemingly translate easily to the 15-a-side game.

New NSW coach Michael Cheika has signalled his intention to return the side to a running brand of rugby and Folau's speed and agility would be a huge asset there.

It is understood Folau could make significantly more in Super Rugby than he would have with the Eels.

But the deal is far from signed and sealed with the Queensland Reds and European rugby also possible landing places for Folau.

Grub

Last edited:
That is partly true, contractors who get their $1,000+ a day are not guaranteed to get that for the rest of their lives either. The market could easily dry up.

The top line players like Izzy are the ones with less to worry about than the minimum wage players........

Tbh, I don't really care about him not actually signing, Poupou mentioned in another thread that he would really only benefit us next year, which is correct. It would have been nice but I'm not that upset.

It could have been handled way better from all parties and I certainly think less of Izzy now but our club will go on and I will continue to support them.........

Agreed.

And what was it that Junior Soprano had to say about dealing with sharp operators like Moses...."hold onto your c**k when you negotiate with....."

IFR33K

Coach
Based on what?....neither did anything wrong by the rules....

No, he done nothing wrong. We cleared the decks for him, releasing horo and tonga, and by all accounts we were also trying to release w tonga. Thank f**k willie is still with us.

No, he did nothing wrong. Nothing wrong with that?

born an eel

Bench
get sick of hearing this crap, while it might be true for some, these would struggle to keep employment anyway.

Players who show loyalty to the game or club, especially high profile players, end up being looked after either by the game or sponsors.

Hindy, Cayless and Burt are perfect examples and look how many ex players are in the media.

Diesel

Referee
Which NRL club will be the genius' to roll out the red carpet and $1m+ a year to Izzy when he comes back?
I don't want him at my club and I think there will be a shitload thinking the same however someone will offer big bucks after his one year deal in RU

Someone

Bench
Which NRL club will be the genius' to roll out the red carpet and $1m+ a year to Izzy when he comes back?
I don't want him at my club and I think there will be a shitload thinking the same however someone will offer big bucks after his one year deal in RU

I honestly think the NRL will turn its back on him as a whole.

And unless completely desperate i Dont see any club bothering with him. plenty of talent without him wasting cap space.

He had his chance to come back and play the game he has 'passion' for, but he has f**ked the NRL over twice now.

I honestly hope Folau will never play NRL again
I honestly hope Folau will fail at Rugby and be bored shitless and wanna come back to the NRL
I honestly hope no NLR team falls for his bullsh*t

Israel Folau over the past few months as shown what type of man he is ... and we don't want that type of man in the NRL

natheel

Coach
why, he didn't break the rules???

i'm not overly dirty he used us but simply for the fact to code hop again when he was apparently desperate to come back to NRL. If he went to another NRL side i'd be cut but not as much as this...at least he would be in the NRL still

natheel

Coach
I honestly hope Folau will never play NRL again
I honestly hope Folau will fail at Rugby and be bored shitless and wanna come back to the NRL
I honestly hope no NLR team falls for his bullsh*t

Israel Folau over the past few months as shown what type of man he is ... and we don't want that type of man in the NRL

he will fit in at Roosters

hineyrulz

Post Whore
The NRL should ban the Merkin and his manager, this is the second time he has f**ked RL he shouldn't be given a third chance.

Last edited:

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I think he wanted to play RL but we couldn't give him the cash he wanted. What were we offering? Sounded low compared to what he and his manager think he deserves.

Latest posts