What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those who think Soccer is no threat

fanatique

Juniors

Bumble

First Grade
fanatique said:
I don't know how to link but go to the FIBA site. Click on FIBA structures and you will find the number is 212 which as you know is greater than 205. FIBA has more registered nations than any other individual sports governing body.

Got me there...but how come there's only 90 in the rankings? Does that means the other 122 don't play professionally?

fanatique

Juniors
Bumble said:
Got me there...but how come there's only 90 in the rankings? Does that means the other 122 don't play professionally?

To be completely honest I do not know for sure Bumble. Remember that the Bball boopm really only dates from the 70's and international competition is still in its infancy compared with say union or soccer which are well established.

I suspect you are corest but will ask my mates who probably will know.

yankeerugger

Juniors
The round ball game, is a particular code of football that spreads like a virus. It's tenticals are growing everywhere! It is growing here (in the states) at an alarming rate, and actually growing as a "respected" sport... Not a sport for foreign people living in the states, for little kids to run off energy, or for prissly kids who's over protective parents will not let them play contact sports....:evil:

Used to be the roundballers knew their place... now if you let them onto a public park, within a year, a whole army of them appear, and flood the place. Soon they will be teaching all the kids to argue with every call, fake injury, and get their parents to pelt the officials with debris! Nice, just what we need!

It is a sad day indeed when a rugbymad country (of either code) is beset by the same plague. By all means Ausies, fight the noble fight. Don't give in!

(please not the sarcasim in my message, and don't take it for more then humor)

MrSharky

Juniors
El Diablo said:
what has this got to do with us not living in Italy and Soccer being an absolute snoozeathon :?

I just thought that showing you a small compilation of two of the world's best youngsters in the sport would alter your mindset (snoozeathon)...

Most people I know, football or non-football fans, appreciate the skill of those two players and enjoy watching them at wor..

BTW here's part II: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4242529870770686976&q=j0e&pl=true (tip: fast-forward the first minute)

icon6.gif

El Diablo

Post Whore
MrSharky said:
I just thought that showing you a small compilation of two of the world's best youngsters in the sport would alter your mindset (snoozeathon)...

Most people I know, football or non-football fans, appreciate the skill of those two players and enjoy watching them at wor..

BTW here's part II: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4242529870770686976&q=j0e&pl=true (tip: fast-forward the first minute)

icon6.gif

does nothing for me

griff

Bench
ali said:
Well I think they could have done better. I think the Asian Champions League and Asian Cup could be worth more in the long run, so maybe a 7 year deal could be the soccer equivilant of the long deal the ARL signed with channel 9 some years back.

If I was soccer, I would have looked for a deal around 4 years, to guarentee the future of the A league, but allow for a bigger deal in the future if our involvement with Asia takes off like I expect.

The involvement in Asia won't have much of an impact on the popularity of soccer in Australia.

Hardly any people want to watch Sydney FC v Melbourne Victory, so why would they suddenly want to watch Sydney FC v Kashima Antlers?

Asian Cup and Asian World Cup Qualifying won't be all that big either, as many of the qualifiers will be against Mongolia and Tajikistan. There may be one or two big home games against relatively good opposition like Japan every couple of years, but that's it.

What involvement in Asia will bring is a bit of money for Soccer Australia and the clubs from our share of Asian TV rights. But this will just go to propping up the A-League, which is losing money.

Soccer???

What red blooded Aussie male is going to go and watch a load of pansies kick a ballon around the soccer filed and clap when one of the sissies falls over and pretends to be injured?

Those girlie soocer start wouldn't last 1 minute on the football paddock a big bunch of possing w@nkers!!

And what red blooded aussie male is going to watch some soccer nobody's play when joey johns the worlds best footballer play in the NRL the worlds best football competition?

SOCCER IS A GAME FOR LITTLE GIRLS

FOOTBALL IS A GAME FOR MEN

JOEY JOHNS PLAYS FOOTBALL

HARRY KEWELL 'BIG GIRLS BLOUSE' PLAYS STUPID BLOODY SOCCER

No contest!!

BuffaloRules

Coach
Joey J no1 Footballer said:
What red blooded Aussie male is going to go and watch a load of pansies kick a ballon around the soccer filed and clap when one of the sissies falls over and pretends to be injured?

Look - it takes a lot of skill to roll around on the ground pretending you are in agony for five minutes OK!!

This is actually taught at South American and Italian schools....

BuffaloRules said:
Look - it takes a lot of skill to roll around on the ground pretending you are in agony for five minutes OK!!

This is actually taught at South American and Italian schools....

I could only just imagine those South Americans twinkie's and Italian nancy boys trying to play real football with some real Aussie men! :lol: :lol:

SOCCER IS FOR androtops & FOOTBALL IS FOR REAL MEN!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

fanatique

Juniors
People are getting all wound up about nothing. Look, soccer is cheap, non contact easily accessible and easy to play so it will be popular in poorer countries and in the poor classes of rich countries but in developed countries like Aus. The U.S. canada japan etc there will always be huge markets for other more expensive to equip, more dangerous, more localised sports. Baseball is still the number one in japan despite the last soccer world cup there, soccer may have grown in the U.S but last year both major and minorLeague baseball had record attendances and Bball is far and away the top particiopation sport whilst major League soccer attracts no more fans than a decade ago.

In Oz last year was a record for both NRL and AFL and A League came in at the lower end of their attendance preditition despite WC qualification which actually had no effect on A League crowds. These are all facts lads. No problems.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Balmain_Boy said:
Sorry, but the majority of Australians rightly or wrongly think soccer is boring. No point in discussing the merits of their decision; it won't change it. For that reason, soccer will never be huge. Whilst they might have had a big increase in $$$, if you recall in the last year, so have the AFL, Union and the greatest game of all.

Agreed! It is the most boring sport to watch, absolute snoozeathon. It is ok at the end where they show the score as you get the result and say "thank goodnes that is over"!:lol:

Bumble

First Grade
Watched by the most people, also the most boring...

Theory kinda breaks down there, locky...

lockyno1

Post Whore
Bumble said:
Watched by the most people, also the most boring...

Theory kinda breaks down there, locky...

If it was so popular how come it is not on free-to-air TV:lol: ....Oh that's right- most people in Australia could not care less about soccer!:D

Raider_69

Post Whore
I think it was saab who summed it up earlier
i dont think soccer will ever be a big sport in australia, the west and melbourne is occupied by afl and they will not ever budge on that. And the two other major states are league mad, the entire country has grown up being spoon fed these physical contact sports and soccer doesnt cater for the majority of aussie sports lovers... and thats not even thinking about the strangle hold Cricket has over the summers...

Soccer is a high participated sport, but come mondays at training, i garentee you most of the talk is wont be about how well DeBraciano or whom ever for Sydney FC played, it'll be about how no one tipped the sharkies to do in the cowboys.

Bumble

First Grade
lockyno1 said:
If it was so popular how come it is not on free-to-air TV:lol: ....Oh that's right- most people in Australia could not care less about soccer!:D

Jesus...ok locky, please try to argue with me that Football isn't the most popular sport in the world. FFS this is as stupid as your love of Hauritz.

pantherz9103

First Grade
They are two completely different sports and should not be compared. The only thing they have in common is that they are both referred to as 'football', even though soccer is the real football. We should not be ashamed to call our game league, or better still by its real name 'Rugby League'!

I don't give a feck because I like both sports and have no trouble liking both of them and spending money on games, merchandise for both of them.

Soccer has already won this battle. Other than in Australia and a few other countries, soccer is the national sport and people haven't heard of league.

I'm pretty sure that the A-League won't overtake the NRL but who cares?

The NRL and league people should worry about getting our own house in order, pursuing with the tri-series and developing the game abroad to get a decent international system where we can have a World Cup worth watching. I know the point of this thread is an A-League v NRL comparison, but I think its pointless. You forget that many people on this forum like both sports and post in the soccer forum.

Let's compare sports which are more of a fair dinkum comparison, like Rugby Yawn Yawn and Gay FL!

El Diablo

Post Whore
Bumble said:
I'm sorry I must've missed that entry at number 16 then...

Cricket is our national sport and that rated lower so are you going to say that isn't popular either? Tard.

lmao

i already edited my post

the cricket on FTA got high ratings. what are you smoking?

Latest posts