What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those who think Soccer is no threat

lockyno1

Post Whore
Bumble said:
Jesus...ok locky, please try to argue with me that Football isn't the most popular sport in the world. FFS this is as stupid as your love of Hauritz.

We live in AUSTRALIA FFS! Not Italy or a European country which endorses diving which is about all you see in soccer! No-one bar soccer mad people which is not many going by the ratings, care about soccer! Come on if the A-League was so popular why did the final not rate in the top 10!:lol:

Bumble

First Grade
lockyno1 said:
We live in AUSTRALIA FFS! Not Italy or a European country which endorses diving which is about all you see in soccer! No-one bar soccer mad people which is not many going by the ratings, care about soccer!

The best atmosphere this country has ever produced at a sporting event was at a "sport that noone cares about" last November, you clown.

If you think football is all about diving then I don't even need to argue with you, you're just displaying your stupidity to everyone already..

lockyno1 said:
Come on if the A-League was so popular why did the final not rate in the top 10!:lol:

Dunno...not fussed, really.

pantherz9103

First Grade
lockyno1 said:
If it was so popular how come it is not on free-to-air TV:lol: ....Oh that's right- most people in Australia could not care less about soccer!:D

Don't make assumptions.

Soccer is very popular in Australia but the problem is the Australian product has been poor for so long. Most people I know like one of the English Premier League teams or European teams. Soccer or 'football' is a very attractive product to many people with all the big name Europeans and South Americans, but the A-League lacks star power still. It has certainly improved with the socceroos making the World Cup and the A-League is better than the NSL, but at the end of the day it is still only on pay TV.

Back to my original point. Don't make assumptions. If soccer had the money in this country to attract more big names like Dwight Yorke and even keep some of the best Aussie talent, then the A-League would be a threat to the NRL. But since it lacks star power and tradition is in its infancy it won't.

Why are people so negative? Support the game and get our own product right. Don't worry about other sports and their supposed 'threat'! We can't control what they do. The NRL needs to promote the game because it is great product in this country. Worldwide soccer is astronomically more popular but either way they aren't a threat to us in Aus for a while yet, and we will never be a threat to them globally. End of!

Bumble

First Grade
pantherz9103 said:
Don't make assumptions.

Soccer is very popular in Australia but the problem is the Australian product has been poor for so long. Most people I know like one of the English Premier League teams or European teams. Soccer or 'football' is a very attractive product to many people with all the big name Europeans and South Americans, but the A-League lacks star power still. It has certainly improved with the socceroos making the World Cup and the A-League is better than the NSL, but at the end of the day it is still only on pay TV.

Back to my original point. Don't make assumptions. If soccer had the money in this country to attract more big names like Dwight Yorke and even keep some of the best Aussie talent, then the A-League would be a threat to the NRL. But since it lacks star power and tradition is in its infancy it won't.

Why are people so negative? Support the game and get our own product right. Don't worry about other sports and their supposed 'threat'! We can't control what they do. The NRL needs to promote the game because it is great product in this country. Worldwide soccer is astronomically more popular but either way they aren't a threat to us in Aus for a while yet, and we will never be a threat to them globally. End of!

:clap::clap::clap:

petszk

Juniors
El Diablo said:
does nothing for me

And yet a bunch of fully grown men playing pass the parcel while jumping on top of each other every 30 seconds with the occasional bit of anal fingering thrown in for good measure is the height of sporting excitement...

Just a wild guess; You are from Sydney, aren't you?

lockyno1

Post Whore
Bumble said:
The best atmosphere this country has ever produced at a sporting event was at a "sport that noone cares about" last November, you clown.

If you think football is all about diving then I don't even need to argue with you, you're just displaying your stupidity to everyone already..

Dunno...not fussed, really.

Best atmosphere, oh please I'll take the atmosphere at the NRL GF, AFL GF, and the Bledisloe Cup before that tripe! The only good part about the whole game in November was the shootout! The rest was BORING!

lockyno1

Post Whore
pantherz9103 said:
Don't make assumptions.

Oh the money thing again! You get the money when your product or sport is going to rate and the soccer quite frankly won't in a league/afl/union/cricket country! It will not rate as highly as any of these sports! A 11,000 average is damn poor for a new product! Even the Force averaged 32,000 this year!

As for supporting the game, why would I? It is boring and is a exhibition of blatant diving all over the place!:evil:

Bumble

First Grade
lockyno1 said:
Best atmosphere, oh please I'll take the atmosphere at the NRL GF, AFL GF, and the Bledisloe Cup before that tripe! The only good part about the whole game in November was the shootout! The rest was BORING!

You're a f**king genius, I'm not even going to bother arguing with you.

pantherz9103

First Grade
lockyno1 said:
Oh the money thing again! You get the money when your product or sport is going to rate and the soccer quite frankly won't in a league/afl/union/cricket country! It will not rate as highly as any of these sports! A 11,000 average is damn poor for a new product! Even the Force averaged 32,000 this year!

As for supporting the game, why would I? It is boring and is a exhibition of blatant diving all over the place!:evil:

Take your own advice that you've given to Brett Seymour

lockyno1

Post Whore
Bumble said:
You're a f**king genius, I'm not even going to bother arguing with you.

What? It was not a good game and I much prefer the atmosphere at the league/afl grand final and the atmosphere at this year's Ashes cricket will be 10 times the soccer!:D

lockyno1

Post Whore
pantherz9103 said:
Take your own advice that you've given to Brett Seymour

So you are disputing the fact that there is blantant diving all over the place? Have a look at Italy! It's diving/cheating galore! :lol:

Bumble

First Grade
lockyno1 said:
What? It was not a good game

How is someone who labels it as a sport for nothing but diving in a position to tell anyone what makes a good match or not? :roll:

lockyno1 said:
I much prefer the atmosphere at the league/afl grand final

Were you at one of the Grand Finals AND at the WC Qualifiers? Because I was and the WCQ absolutely shat on the Grand Final...if you say otherwise, you couldn't have been there or you're just lying to help you're argument.

lockyno1 said:
and the atmosphere at this year's Ashes cricket will be 10 times the soccer!:D

So now your argument is based on a ridiculous assumption...brilliant.

Bumble

First Grade
lockyno1 said:
So you are disputing the fact that there is blantant diving all over the place? Have a look at Italy! It's diving/cheating galore! :lol:

Yes, which is why the majority of the footballing world hate Italy/Spain/Argentina and the other countries who are known for diving alot (No that does not mean all of them, before you say it..)

And you need teams to hate, to make it more fun...no?

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Diving is widespread. Not just in one or two countries. It's in every league and every country.

And who gives a sh*t. There is diving in every single rugby league game thesedays. So what. It's sport and players will do anything to give their team an advantage - even if it means being a prick.

You anti-soccer fans really need some new arguments.

BuffaloRules

Coach
petszk said:
And yet a bunch of fully grown men playing pass the parcel while jumping on top of each other every 30 seconds with the occasional bit of anal fingering thrown in for good measure is the height of sporting excitement...
No.. the height of sporting excitement is fully grown men writhing around the pitch in pretend agony trying to milk penalties.... Combined with pitch invasions by fans, crazy French buggers trying to karate kick people in the crowd,opposing fans throwing objects at players on the field and letting off flares in the stadiums, and then rioting in the streets after the game..

[

Bumble

First Grade
BuffaloRules said:
No.. the height of sporting excitement is fully grown men writhing around the pitch in pretend agony trying to milk penalties....

That happens in league as well...Joel Clinton anyone?

BuffaloRules said:
Combined with pitch invasions by fans

I haven't seen a pitch invasion in football in a long time. However, the Bulldogs fans stormed the field when they beat the Broncos in 2002...

BuffaloRules said:
opposing fans throwing objects at players on the field

Didn't Jason Robinson get hit in the head with a Coke bottle last year?

BuffaloRules said:
crazy French buggers trying to karate kick people in the crowd

I'll give you that one...Cantona is a psycho.

BuffaloRules said:
letting off flares in the stadiums, and then rioting in the streets after the game..

Oh because that's never been done by Bulldogs fans...

BuffaloRules

Coach
Your not really trying to argue that the violence of fans in the NRL is comparable to soccer are you??

One flare for the Bulldogs.... one million flares at soccer stadiums...

There was a pitch invasion at the Fulham v Chelsea game last month...your not much of a student of the game are you?? there have probably been a thousand since the last NRL one in 2002 ..

Playing Rugby League, you are conditioned to try and not show the oppostion side that you have been injured...( obviously this can not be done all the time...) but the exact opposite tends to occur in soccer where the weak buggers pretend to be injured...

The way that some of them carry on you would swear that they have just had both their balls ripped off!!!

Do you remember that rule FIFA had ( I think at the 98 World cup) where if you went down you had to be stretchered off the field?? It was ludicrous to see someone be taken off the field on a stretcher, and then run immeadiately back onto the field to get into position...

fanatique

Juniors
The usual insults from both sides that get us nowhere.

Athmosphere? You takes your choice. Bumble thinks soccer s%!ts on other sport. That's his opinion. Personally I dislike crowds corralled into cages to make them behave and much of the touted athmosphere is really only the two sets of fans barking insults. I lived in Melbourne for years and am old enough to have been to a few tasty Richmond v Collingwoods and Carlton v Collingwoods to say nothing of a few really tasty League rivalries and I prefer them. It is a matter of opinion.

Threat? None. Soccer is popular in much of the world and good luck to all who follow it but will not really take off here cos the public know the A league product is second rate which is not an argument it is a fact. A league soccer is turgid and skillless compared to england and Spain. Fact.

League would be much better getting its own house in order rather than worrying about an 8 team league with an home and away average attendance of about 10,000. For instance why are Sydney grounds half empty? Why was parra's game yesterday only the second attendance of over 20,000 in Sydney? Why did only 16,000 turn up to see the oldest rivalry in the game - easts v Souths - in a stadium that was 80% empty?

Forget soccer which is just an annoyance and focus on why our biggest games get such small crowds and on getting kids to play despite the influence of mums etc afraid their kids will be hurt. Forget the grass diving and concentrate on what matters.

Latest posts