What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former Panthers in the NRL

Das Hassler

Bench
I can’t recall the suggestions some suggested Api was boosting his super or going to go thru the motions by going to the Wests Tigers. Too professional and too good a player for him to perform in that manner. my recollection is most fans on here respected his decision and wished him and the West Tigers well as we have done with over a dozen significant out goings this past coupLe of seasons. From my own personal perspective the only outgoing I was slightly peeved off about was Spencer Lenui I thought perhaps he could have shown some loyalty and avoided certain comments around the Roosters about reasons why he went there.

I may be remembering the viewpoint from other places as well and attributed it all to you guys..which I think you'd agree is fair enough

Goonji

Juniors

Grim finals stat for ex-Panthers as Turuva mulls future

Story by Jasper Bruce​

Isaah Yeo has urged off-contract Sunia Turuva not to take Penrith's winning ways for granted as statistics reveal a grim finals outlook for players leaving the all-conquering Panthers.

Since Penrith surged to premiership dominance during the 2020 season, 26 players have left the club and signed with an NRL rival - only three have played finals again.

While Penrith have underlined their dominance with a third straight premiership, Kurt Capewell, Jack Hetherington and Paul Momirovski are the only former Panthers to have featured in the play-offs after leaving.

Even then, only Warriors second-rower Capewell has made it past the second week, with runners-up Brisbane last season.

While seven of the 26 are currently playing their first NRL season away from Penrith, three of 19 still represents a less than 16 per cent chance of playing in the post-season after parting ways with the Panthers.

Turuva is the latest player earning the attention of the Panthers' retention department.

The 2023 premiership-winning winger, who has already declared Penrith 'home', is off contract at the end of the current season.

But he has been linked with a move to St George Illawarra, who have space in their backline and the money to offer a pay rise having announced Zac Lomax will leave the club in 2025.

Turuva, 21, is not the first faced with a decision between a beefier pay packet and the chance for more success at the Panthers.

The longest-serving player on Penrith's roster, Yeo warned it would be easy for less experienced Panthers to forget winning trophies is not the norm in the NRL.

"A lot of these boys have come in and had success off the bounce," he told AAP at the NRL's launch of the Telstra Country Footy Series.

"My first year I played about 10 games and we made a prelim (in 2014), then the year after we were in the wooden spoon play-off game.

"It was us and the Knights, and whoever lost that game got the spoon. That's certainly not fun.

"(Players) need to know how lucky we are at the moment and the position we're in

"If people want to go for opportunities or money, I totally understand that. It's a big business.

"But winning certainly fixes a lot of things."

Panthers fullback Dylan Edwards said Turuva is "a valued member of our squad and our club. Hopefully he can get a deal done".

"You want everyone to stay but in the salary-cap era, you can't keep everyone," he said.

PLAYERS WHO HAVE SIGNED A TOP 30 NRL DEAL OR PLAYED FIRST-GRADE FOR AN NRL RIVAL SINCE LEAVING PENRITH AFTER THE 2020 SEASON:

FINALS

Jack Hetherington (two games, Newcastle 2023)

Kurt Capewell (three games, Brisbane 2023)

Paul Momirovski (two games, Sydney Roosters 2022 and 2023)

NO FINALS

Josh Mansour

James Tamou

Caleb Aekins

Daine Laurie

Billy Burns

Brayden McGrady

Tevita Pangai Jr

Matt Burton

Brent Naden

J'Maine Hopgood

Robert Jennings

Isaiya Katoa

Viliame Kikau

Api Koroisau

Sean O'Sullivan

Charlie Staines

Stephen Crichton*

Jaeman Salmon*

Jack Cogger*

Spencer Leniu*

Zane Tetevano*

Zac Hosking*

Tom Jenkins*

(* Players in their first NRL season since leaving the Panthers)

Chins get the wins

First Grade

Grim finals stat for ex-Panthers as Turuva mulls future

Story by Jasper Bruce​

Isaah Yeo has urged off-contract Sunia Turuva not to take Penrith's winning ways for granted as statistics reveal a grim finals outlook for players leaving the all-conquering Panthers.

Since Penrith surged to premiership dominance during the 2020 season, 26 players have left the club and signed with an NRL rival - only three have played finals again.

While Penrith have underlined their dominance with a third straight premiership, Kurt Capewell, Jack Hetherington and Paul Momirovski are the only former Panthers to have featured in the play-offs after leaving.

Even then, only Warriors second-rower Capewell has made it past the second week, with runners-up Brisbane last season.

While seven of the 26 are currently playing their first NRL season away from Penrith, three of 19 still represents a less than 16 per cent chance of playing in the post-season after parting ways with the Panthers.

Turuva is the latest player earning the attention of the Panthers' retention department.

The 2023 premiership-winning winger, who has already declared Penrith 'home', is off contract at the end of the current season.

But he has been linked with a move to St George Illawarra, who have space in their backline and the money to offer a pay rise having announced Zac Lomax will leave the club in 2025.

Turuva, 21, is not the first faced with a decision between a beefier pay packet and the chance for more success at the Panthers.

The longest-serving player on Penrith's roster, Yeo warned it would be easy for less experienced Panthers to forget winning trophies is not the norm in the NRL.

"A lot of these boys have come in and had success off the bounce," he told AAP at the NRL's launch of the Telstra Country Footy Series.

"My first year I played about 10 games and we made a prelim (in 2014), then the year after we were in the wooden spoon play-off game.

"It was us and the Knights, and whoever lost that game got the spoon. That's certainly not fun.

"(Players) need to know how lucky we are at the moment and the position we're in

"If people want to go for opportunities or money, I totally understand that. It's a big business.

"But winning certainly fixes a lot of things."

Panthers fullback Dylan Edwards said Turuva is "a valued member of our squad and our club. Hopefully he can get a deal done".

"You want everyone to stay but in the salary-cap era, you can't keep everyone," he said.

PLAYERS WHO HAVE SIGNED A TOP 30 NRL DEAL OR PLAYED FIRST-GRADE FOR AN NRL RIVAL SINCE LEAVING PENRITH AFTER THE 2020 SEASON:

FINALS

Jack Hetherington (two games, Newcastle 2023)

Kurt Capewell (three games, Brisbane 2023)

Paul Momirovski (two games, Sydney Roosters 2022 and 2023)

NO FINALS

Josh Mansour

James Tamou

Caleb Aekins

Daine Laurie

Billy Burns

Brayden McGrady

Tevita Pangai Jr

Matt Burton

Brent Naden

J'Maine Hopgood

Robert Jennings

Isaiya Katoa

Viliame Kikau

Api Koroisau

Sean O'Sullivan

Charlie Staines

Stephen Crichton*

Jaeman Salmon*

Jack Cogger*

Spencer Leniu*

Zane Tetevano*

Zac Hosking*

Tom Jenkins*

(* Players in their first NRL season since leaving the Panthers)
I know Yeo doing his job as captain but you're making bank mate

Kilkenny

Coach
I may be remembering the viewpoint from other places as well and attributed it all to you guys..which I think you'd agree is fair enough
I can only speak for this conversation on this forum. I’m a dinosaur, I don’t follow any other social media. I have no issue with your assertions but in fairness I don’t think there was too much negativity around APIs departure on here anyway.

I can only speak for this conversation on this forum. I’m a dinosaur, I don’t follow any other social media. I have no issue with your assertions but in fairness I don’t think there was too much negativity around APIs departure on here anyway.
I agree with Kilkenny. The only bloke I have felt any animosity towards was Spencer after his ‘pinnacles’ comment, but even that was quickly forgotten as he literally ‘busted his balls’ for us last year; that is all we could ask.

I personally had (and still have doubts) about Api doing what he is doing now over the course of the year and through next, but geez he is playing well over the past two weeks.

Das Hassler

Bench
I personally had (and still have doubts) about Api doing what he is doing now over the course of the year and through next, but geez he is playing well over the past two

I'm looking forward to young Da Silva ...another good'n coming in off the bench for Api soon...he's going to be our longterm 9 down the track so with the luck of a plan coming together, the timing is perfect for the club...Da Silva and Api as well...Api extended during the lowest point last year declaring he wanted to help get the place right while there's no doubt he could have gotten at least another year or two at 3 or 4 other battler clubs.

Pomoz

Bench
His manager is a big Roosters fan. That is why he was steered here. The Dogs really thought they had him.
It's not very professional to steer clients based on who you support, even if it is to the pinnacle of the NRL. I would presume the Dogs offered more.

Goonji

Juniors
It's not very professional to steer clients based on who you support, even if it is to the pinnacle of the NRL. I would presume the Dogs offered more.
I agree. The manager is supposed to advise and act in your best interest. I wonder how much money the manager made on the side by steering him to the Roosters?

Fangs

Coach
He did a lot of kicking from fullback last week. Some of those kicks weren't too bad.

Not sure about 7 though. Looks like his days at the Tigers are done.

Latest posts