What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former Panthers in the NRL

age.s

First Grade
Dallin has really helped turn the Bulldogs around this year. He's not perfect. But his attitude has sure made them a better team.

He's a really good fit for them. They're a grindy team and a fullback who eats meters on kick returns is just what they need.

TheFrog

Coach
He's a really good fit for them. They're a grindy team and a fullback who eats meters on kick returns is just what they need.
Just what we needed too, but when he got his chance this year he just gave away penalties, got sent to the bin and played like a goose. A bit of Mitchell Moses.

Pomoz

Bench
Most that leave the Storm don't go on to better things. Its usually downhill.
I think there are two reasons:

1. The Storm actually have fitness staff and do training, rather than play euchre and then head off to Pie Face where Katoa and RCG are usually first in the queue. This doesn't apply to JFH, because he heads off to Fitness First to do his training when he finishes with the Panthers.

2. The Storm believe in practicing set plays so players know where to be at any stage in a play. It means players can be in support ready for offloads and tackle busts. The Panthers don't bother with this because nobody makes tackle busts because of point number 1 and JFH is just a show off with his arm free and all. F*ck you JFH.

3. The Storm believe in having a large number of set plays and is a concept copied from the NFL "Playbook" approach to attack. There was a rumour the Panther's were considering having a playbook as well, but Officeworks was shut so they didn't have enough paper to have a playbook with more than two plays. As I understand it, the "turn it inside to player X" play, is number 1 in the two play list. Just so we are clear, "turn it inside to Kikau/Yeo/Martin" is only one set play, not 3. Changing the name of the player executing the play didn't give the attack coach a bonus for broadening our attack, even though he argued it did. The club wouldn't accept the "turn it inside to a centre" qualified as an extra set play either.

The second set play is "a midfield bomb". The attacking coach was hoping for a bonus for every try scored from coming up with this clever play, but alas he has had to cancel his holiday in Hawaii and go to Ulladulla instead.

BxTom

Bench

1. The Storm actually have fitness staff and do training, rather than play euchre and then head off to Pie Face where Katoa and RCG are usually first in the queue. This doesn't apply to JFH, because he heads off to Fitness First to do his training when he finishes with the Panthers.

2. The Storm believe in practicing set plays so players know where to be at any stage in a play. It means players can be in support ready for offloads and tackle busts. The Panthers don't bother with this because nobody makes tackle busts because of point number 1 and JFH is just a show off with his arm free and all. F*ck you JFH.

3. The Storm believe in having a large number of set plays and is a concept copied from the NFL "Playbook" approach to attack. There was a rumour the Panther's were considering having a playbook as well, but Officeworks was shut so they didn't have enough paper to have a playbook with more than two plays. As I understand it, the "turn it inside to player X" play, is number 1 in the two play list. Just so we are clear, "turn it inside to Kikau/Yeo/Martin" is only one set play, not 3. Changing the name of the player executing the play didn't give the attack coach a bonus for broadening our attack, even though he argued it did. The club wouldn't accept the "turn it inside to a centre" qualified as an extra set play either.

The second set play is "a midfield bomb". The attacking coach was hoping for a bonus for every try scored from coming up with this clever play, but alas he has had to cancel his holiday in Hawaii and go to Ulladulla instead.

Actually, it's rumoured that Cleary has issued the team with a colouring in book, you know, the type with the numbers so that they know which colour goes where...

martielang

Bench
I remember how pumped most were when Sika Manu signed. He wasn’t Adam Blair but he was Felise Kaufusi either.

If we could pull off a similar signing of that caliber this year I’d be just as pumped.

Pomoz

Bench
I remember how pumped most were when Sika Manu signed. He wasn’t Adam Blair but he was Felise Kaufusi either.

If we could pull off a similar signing of that caliber this year I’d be just as pumped.
I thought he was OK, but he just was injured a lot. Mind you, back then we always had lost of injuries.

Abacus

Juniors

Isn't that 3 reasons?

mxlegend99

Referee

He was massively overpaid and delivered very little. At the time we needed to pay overs to get big names so his real value was probably helping our brand with bigger names.

He was a bit of a Roy Asotasi style signing for us.

Fangs

Coach
The Melbourne Storm drop off thing all comes back to the same point: Culture.

No other club can match them in this regard. The Roosters are 2nd and getting better every year, they are on the right track.

I think Penrith are too in some ways. But I can't even imagine the Panthers turning into a club like the storm. Our issues extend way beyond the top 17 and head coach thats for sure.

Latest posts