What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forward thinking: Dragons after hard-hitting prop Napa

BennyV

Referee
Bag Mary all you want, but at the end of the day Merrin is after the dollars, not blaming him, but its money not the coach thats an issue.

Taking a guess here, but I think the message isnt that he is leaving for a better coach. The message is that if we had a decent, proven, trustworthy coach (instead of ANOTHER untried rookie who stabbed his predecessor in the back and whos coaching credentials dont go past being a 'straight shooter) then it might be an extra reason for Merrin to want to stay.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Damn. We'll miss those 4 penalties a game Napa would have conceded.

Not to worry, there's still Dan (K)Hunt

love my saints

Juniors
Taking a guess here, but I think the message isnt that he is leaving for a better coach. The message is that if we had a decent, proven, trustworthy coach (instead of ANOTHER untried rookie who stabbed his predecessor in the back and whos coaching credentials dont go past being a 'straight shooter) then it might be an extra reason for Merrin to want to stay.

Stabbed his predecessor in the back?? Get off the drugs you clown!!!
Price got sacked, mary got offered a contract and took it!!!
How that can be labelled as stabbing someone in the back is a joke!

BennyV

Referee
Stabbed his predecessor in the back?? Get off the drugs you clown!!!
Price got sacked, mary got offered a contract and took it!!!
How that can be labelled as stabbing someone in the back is a joke!

Lol

Anywho, regardless of that item, the point still stands. Trent has spent a long time playing under inexperienced coaches who have done little to develop his amazing potential. There is nothing in our coaching ranks that would motivate him to stay. Another reaosn that appointing Meh-ry to such a deal was a monstrous mistake.

jenninga

First Grade

Cue possibly another thread on the coach.:D

love my saints

Juniors
Lol

Anywho, regardless of that item, the point still stands. Trent has spent a long time playing under inexperienced coaches who have done little to develop his amazing potential. There is nothing in our coaching ranks that would motivate him to stay. Another reaosn that appointing Meh-ry to such a deal was a monstrous mistake.

So what you'r saying basically is that without a "experienced" coach a player wont perform to there potential?
Cause to my memory, Morris, nighty, etc etc still performed under price, alot of players didnt, they moved to other clubs and still DIDNT perform.
If your a talented player, your talents are on display regardless of the coach!
$800k is alot of money to spend on a player that the coach has to work on "devoloping his amazing potential".
Im no fan of the mary signing for 3 years, but im willing to at least let him have a go, every coach started as a rookie!
But then again, some fans are just negative 100% of the time, nothing the club does will ever make them happy, we all know grouch, dino, and objective shit talker are in that mould, dont scoop to there level, your last 2 posts are laughable at.

BennyV

Referee
So what you'r saying basically is that without a "experienced" coach a player wont perform to there potential?
Cause to my memory, Morris, nighty, etc etc still performed under price, alot of players didnt, they moved to other clubs and still DIDNT perform.
If your a talented player, your talents are on display regardless of the coach!
$800k is alot of money to spend on a player that the coach has to work on "devoloping his amazing potential".
Im no fan of the mary signing for 3 years, but im willing to at least let him have a go, every coach started as a rookie!
But then again, some fans are just negative 100% of the time, nothing the club does will ever make them happy, we all know grouch, dino, and objective shit talker are in that mould, dont scoop to there level, your last 2 posts are laughable at.

You definitely missed my point in your ramble.
I'm not saying we should pay $800k to Merrin. I think the $550-600k offer is reasonable. However, it seems that it isnt enough and he wants to move on out of principle and to develop his game.

He may not nessecarily need an experienced coach to bring out the best in him. But having a proven coach is an additional carrot to entice players to sign into a certain team, as it improves their worth for their next contract. If we had signed someone who has proven they can bring out the best in players as a coach, it would have worked much more in our favour as it would hhave given him additional motivation to stay. He clearly doesnt see a future here.

hazzbeen

Bench
I'm not saying we should pay $800k to Merrin. I think the $550-600k offer is reasonable. However, it seems that it isnt enough and he wants to move on out of principle and to develop his game.

He may not nessecarily need an experienced coach to bring out the best in him. But having a proven coach is an additional carrot to entice players to sign into a certain team, as it improves their worth for their next contract. If we had signed someone who has proven they can bring out the best in players as a coach, it would have worked much more in our favour as it would hhave given him additional motivation to stay. He clearly doesnt see a future here.

BennyV agree with you the only way it will change and have players wanting to come to our club is for our team to have a big year under Mary... If not , will continue to slide and loose players... Already lost 3 years of supposed building under Price ...... Comes back to bad management from Doust and the board.......

possm

Coach
BennyV agree with you the only way it will change and have players wanting to come to our club is for our team to have a big year under Mary... If not , will continue to slide and loose players... Already lost 3 years of supposed building under Price ...... Comes back to bad management from Doust and the board.......

Yes your're 100% right!

However, have these guys taken responsibility for ghe great damage they have done to our Club? - NO

Has Doust been sacked by the Board for his poor management? - NO

Have any Board Members or our CEO resigned because of their failings? - NO

How can any fans, members and sponsors have faith in our Club while these fools are in charge?

hazzbeen

Bench
Yes Possm they should have been accountable for what has happened,but they are still there. The problem is we cant afford another 3 years of failure or we will roll over and die......

love my saints

Juniors

I actually didnt miss any point. Theres an article where merrin says he is dissappointed the dragons didnt come back with a better offer. Yes, merrin, not his manager.
so lets not tickle his balls, coach or no coach, he wants more money, thats the be all and end all.
Lets not play stupid and over look the FACTS just to have a dig at mary and doust. (And yes when the words come straight from the players mouth its a FACT!)
Theres plenty of other f@ck ups to have a go at doust about, in this situation he has done nothing rong, merrin is after more money, thats all there is to it so lets leave the mary bashing and doust bashing out of this situation.
Facts are facts.

Cagey Mac

Bench
Fact is board don't think Merrin is worth more than they offered
They thought even that was overs but tried to accommodate

Puff2010

Juniors
Agree. It seems to be definitely about money. He's argument is based on past promises. Reality is our current offer is lucrative. If he can get more elsewhere, then good luck and thanks for the memories. We need a culture were players want to wear the Red V and play their heart out for the jersey

love my saints

Juniors
Fact is he isnt worth more then $600k per year. To suggest he is and then possibly loose nightingale cause we spent that much on merrin is laughable.
If he can get $800k elsewhere go for it. He isnt worth more then $600k to what we need in a forward.

hazzbeen

Bench
Agree. It seems to be definitely about money. He's argument is based on past promises. Reality is our current offer is lucrative. If he can get more elsewhere, then good luck and thanks for the memories. We need a culture were players want to wear the Red V and play their heart out for the jersey

That would be great, but the game is about money players will chase the dollar they only have a short time in the game.

love my saints

Juniors
That would be great, but the game is about money players will chase the dollar they only have a short time in the game.

Thats why we cant blame Merrin. And because of that we cant blame the club either. With B.Moz yes we could, we f@cked up big time. But in this situation we cant blame the club or merrin. Each has to do whats best for them.

grouch

First Grade
Fact is board don't think Merrin is worth more than they offered
They thought even that was overs but tried to accommodate

Our board are an astute bunch with glittering credentials and a record of unblemished success. One of them sold me a Daewoo once.

BennyV

Referee
I actually didnt miss any point. Theres an article where merrin says he is dissappointed the dragons didnt come back with a better offer. Yes, merrin, not his manager.
so lets not tickle his balls, coach or no coach, he wants more money, thats the be all and end all.
Lets not play stupid and over look the FACTS just to have a dig at mary and doust. (And yes when the words come straight from the players mouth its a FACT!)
Theres plenty of other f@ck ups to have a go at doust about, in this situation he has done nothing rong, merrin is after more money, thats all there is to it so lets leave the mary bashing and doust bashing out of this situation.
Facts are facts.

He said in the same interview that he is leaving to improve himself as a player - clearly he doesnt see that under Mary.
By all reports from good sources in JA, the money on offer elsewhere is not very much more than ours, in the realm of $20-30k a year. Again, the point (that you keep missing) is that with a proven coach who has good credentials, there is another reason to stay - improve his gme within our team, thus increasing his marketability.
Fact is, there is nothing for him here other than money. Elsewhere he has a chance for development, exposure and finals footy.

Latest posts