What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forward thinking: Dragons after hard-hitting prop Napa

wayne57

Juniors
I thought that Sally being a world class surfer in her own right, also a keen dragons supporter and Merrin playing for us, that the money to be made as a dragons couple in adverts or sponsorship would surely would compensate any shortfall. I can not see why someone in this field has not already pick up on this.

love my saints

Juniors
He said in the same interview that he is leaving to improve himself as a player - clearly he doesnt see that under Mary.
By all reports from good sources in JA, the money on offer elsewhere is not very much more than ours, in the realm of $20-30k a year. Again, the point (that you keep missing) is that with a proven coach who has good credentials, there is another reason to stay - improve his gme within our team, thus increasing his marketability.
Fact is, there is nothing for him here other than money. Elsewhere he has a chance for development, exposure and finals footy.

But if we offered more money then marys coaching, along with the chance for developement, exposure and finals footy would be fine?
Just give up, its not marys fault, trent wants more money, he said that himself, understand that, leave ur personal hate of mary aside, its got nothing to do with anything other then money.

BennyV

Referee
But if we offered more money then marys coaching, along with the chance for developement, exposure and finals footy would be fine?
Just give up, its not marys fault, trent wants more money, he said that himself, understand that, leave ur personal hate of mary aside, its got nothing to do with anything other then money.

Lol you've very much convinced yourself, haven't you!

I never said it was Mary's fault. Mary didnt employ himself with no experience. Nor did he give up any past chances to develop players and bring out the best in them. The issue, along with all our issues, stem from horrible decisions made by the board.

As for the interview, weve just outlined 2 things that Merrin has said in that interview that contradicts himself, so dont rely on that for your evidence. Do you also believe that Morris actually left to play with Josh?! O the countless players who stood up for Price and said how good a coach he is?! Dont believe everything players say to the media champ.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Whatever happen's..when Merrin leaves and who we sign etc....I'm sure everyone can agree its taking a damn long time to sort out.

love my saints

Juniors
Lol you've very much convinced yourself, haven't you!

I never said it was Mary's fault. Mary didnt employ himself with no experience. Nor did he give up any past chances to develop players and bring out the best in them. The issue, along with all our issues, stem from horrible decisions made by the board.

As for the interview, weve just outlined 2 things that Merrin has said in that interview that contradicts himself, so dont rely on that for your evidence. Do you also believe that Morris actually left to play with Josh?! O the countless players who stood up for Price and said how good a coach he is?! Dont believe everything players say to the media champ.

I already said the Morris situation was a major f#ck up by club management. But from day dot, merrins manager has said its about our offer, merrin himself said the same thing. For him to say its about anything else, when he has stated its about the offer, and that he would stay if the offer was improved, shows its not because of management, or the coach, its about the money.
All other management f@ck ups by all means management should be held accountable, but this situation, the club has nothing rong.
Merrin is NOT worth the money he wants to stay at the club. The club realises it has players off contract at seasons end that need to be kept, the club cant justify spending that sort of money on merrin, and rightfully so.

It's not about offering more money. It's about providing better opportunities - and that includes professional administration & coaching. When a club is run like a professional sports organisation - which the Dragons manifestly are not - then players stay for less money.

Saints have to offer top dollar, whether to retain a local talent or to recruit. They don't have anything else to offer. And that my silly friend, is the issue.

Straight Shooter

love my saints

Juniors
It's not about offering more money. It's about providing better opportunities - and that includes professional administration & coaching. When a club is run like a professional sports organisation - which the Dragons manifestly are not - then players stay for less money.

Saints have to offer top dollar, whether to retain a local talent or to recruit. They don't have anything else to offer. And that my silly friend, is the issue.

Straight Shooter

shut the f@ck up.. you got no f@cking idea! Merrin said it himself its about the money!!!
Go shoot your sh!t elsewhere.
The opportunities and coach and club are good enough if the money is right??? You'r a twit, you have no idea, all you know is how to bag our club.
This is one situation the club got right, no one can say otherwise. To keep merrin we would lose nighty and other players that offer more value to the club.
But expecting a twat to understand that is asking much... so you keep on talking tour sh!t and bagging our club at any chance you get. No one expects anything else from you, grouch or dino.

Highland Saint

Juniors
Like BennyV said unfortunately all we can offer is money at the moment, unless Mary and the boys exceed all expectations and make us a top 4 side. If we'd landed Bennett last year I'd say Mez would have stayed for the current offer knowing that the club was on the up.

This is one situation the club got right, no one can say otherwise. To keep merrin we would lose nighty and other players that offer more value to the club.

I totally agree with you, the club should not pay more than reportedly offered!!!!

But you miss the bigger, more important, issue. As usual.

Straight Shooter

Dragon66

Juniors
Like BennyV said unfortunately all we can offer is money at the moment, unless Mary and the boys exceed all expectations and make us a top 4 side. If we'd landed Bennett last year I'd say Mez would have stayed for the current offer knowing that the club was on the up.

I'd call that wishful thinking in the current player market.

bottle

Coach
The whole thing stemmed from the 'not in the spirit of negotiations' statement from Butthead. That suggests to me that it was about the money. Unless the 'spirit of negotiations' included replacing the coach. Now it's about the coach all of a sudden. Sounds revisionary.

Dragon66

Juniors
The whole thing stemmed from the 'not in the spirit of negotiations' statement from Butthead. That suggests to me that it was about the money. Unless the 'spirit of negotiations' included replacing the coach. Now it's about the coach all of a sudden. Sounds revisionary.

Conspiracy theories abound.

Bottle's on the money. That's right it's all about the money. Managers don't know or care about what a team might,or not, achieve this year. We are on the improve and that is a fact, where we end up nobody knows for sure, only time will tell us that.

Mary and Trent have left it to Mullholland and Butthead, I like that, to work it out.

Can't people see that this is strictly business, like it or not.

rasaint

Juniors
It is good to see that people recognise that Trent is basically a good player with agood offload and makes some slow metres crabbing forward whilst the other team has reset and watching their watches to see when half time oranges will be eaten. worth tops $400k and we have still offered overs IMO at reported $550k.

Good luck to Trent but where are all the clubs with their $ 700 to 800 k contracts? He would be gone by now if it was so true. Actually he can go to Panthers and give us Docker thanks very much! Still don't blame Trent we all want to earn as many $$$ as someone will pay

grouch

First Grade
It is good to see that people recognise that Trent is basically a good player with agood offload and makes some slow metres crabbing forward whilst the other team has reset and watching their watches to see when half time oranges will be eaten. worth tops $400k and we have still offered overs IMO at reported $550k.

Good luck to Trent but where are all the clubs with their $ 700 to 800 k contracts? He would be gone by now if it was so true. Actually he can go to Panthers and give us Docker thanks very much! Still don't blame Trent we all want to earn as many $$$ as someone will pay

lol.. yeah... thoise people don't include the NSW Origin selectors 10 times, or Wayne Bennett and Phiul Gould. I think I'll sit with them.

Docker is a fking plodder.

BennyV

Referee

Not nessecarily. The 'not in the spirits...' thing, by all reports, came from the fact that the the actual offer was less than he was originally promised. It then becomes about principle (backed up by the reoorts that other offers were no that much bigger), and TBH after that sort of treatment he owes the club nothing. If we dont want to increase the per-year money, we need to look at other incentives to keep him. Maybe an extra year on the deal. Indicate to him that he is next in line for captaincy. Maybe incentives for continuing to make rep teams.

However, the biggest incentive that we DONT have (which is where my original point comes from) is a coach that can take his game up a level and give him the chance to play finals footy, even contest for a premiership. We cant offer him (or anyone) that, and if we could then its a big bonus for us.

bottle

Coach
Not nessecarily. The 'not in the spirits...' thing, by all reports, came from the fact that the the actual offer was less than he was originally promised. It then becomes about principle (backed up by the reoorts that other offers were no that much bigger), and TBH after that sort of treatment he owes the club nothing. If we dont want to increase the per-year money, we need to look at other incentives to keep him. Maybe an extra year on the deal. Indicate to him that he is next in line for captaincy. Maybe incentives for continuing to make rep teams.

However, the biggest incentive that we DONT have (which is where my original point comes from) is a coach that can take his game up a level and give him the chance to play finals footy, even contest for a premiership. We cant offer him (or anyone) that, and if we could then its a big bonus for us.

Which makes it about the money Benny. Which I don't have a problem with btw. I've always maintained that these blokes are entitled to try and maximise their earnings. It's what we all do.

However the whole 'its about the coach' thing seems to be a belatedly attached issue. No doubt relationships have soured as proceedings have not gone to plan. As I say, to me, it seems somewhat revisionary. I have no doubt that when Trent announces he is going elsewhere it won't be about the money, it never is. It will about opportunity, change, challenge, a new start, a new environment etc. We've all heard it all before. I'm just a bit cynical. Why wasn't a poor opinion of the coach voiced from the outset?

grouch

First Grade
Which makes it about the money Benny. Which I don't have a problem with btw. I've always maintained that these blokes are entitled to try and maximise their earnings. It's what we all do.

However the whole 'its about the coach' thing seems to be a belatedly attached issue. No doubt relationships have soured as proceedings have not gone to plan. As I say, to me, it seems somewhat revisionary. I have no doubt that when Trent announces he is going elsewhere it won't be about the money, it never is. It will about opportunity, change, challenge, a new start, a new environment etc. We've all heard it all before. I'm just a bit cynical. Why wasn't a poor opinion of the coach voiced from the outset?

lmao really? Pretty dumb comment. If you need ti spelled out: probably because despite it all, he actually does love the club and hoped to stay. Expressing his true thoughts about the coach that early wouldn't have made for a happy few years if he did.

Latest posts