What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forward thinking: Dragons after hard-hitting prop Napa

BankstownDragon

Juniors
As far as I'm concerned I'm not yet sure if Mary is going to turn out to be a good coach or not.

IMO the jury is still out.

But considering the schmoozle Price and Doust made of the club since Bennett left I can't fault anything the Mary has done up to this stage.

He seemed to restore pride and commitment back into the players when he took over last season. They competed well under his stewardship until that last round capitulation to Newcastle.
During the offseason he off loaded all the deadwood, except Hunt due to nobody else wanting him because of his ridiculous contact value. I wanted to see Green gone but I bet his contract is minuscule .
He chased every good front rower that was off contract from other clubs during the off season to no avail, we all have different views to why we did not secure a top line signing, but he still made the right moves to bulk up our forward pack with big men. Time will tell if any of his choices are up to the job.
He bought in Nabuli who we all think should turn out to be a success. And has bought up the best of our 20's from last season with a genuine view to giving them every chance to stake a claim for a starting spot, if not this year definitely the next hence all these one year contracts.
He also bought in experienced backups to assist in providing direction for our younger brigade of players to help in their development.

And so far we performed well in the Nines, showed an improved attitude to defence in the CS and almost pulled of a win, went to England and came home with a victory. The best beginning to a season for quite a while.

So far so good. I'm prepared to wait until round 10 before I decide whether Mary can coach or not, and join the chorus of those that want him replaced. IMO he going as well as can be expected after three disastrous years.

Unlike some who are writing him off before a ball has been kicked off in anger I'm hoping that he can get our under rated squad of players to play to their best ability and at the worst earn the respect of the opposing teams as the season progresses. And some of our supporters as well.

I felt the same way up until the CS and WCC.

I was willing to give him an off season to re configure our D.

Mary has them fired up and the effort is there, but our defence structure is the same, as I have posted elsewhere.

I Don t think he (or his coaching / defence staff) has worked out that stopping and planting your feet to keep a straight line is working.

On this simple basis I can't see any major improvement to our position on the ladder.

Hope I'm wrong and happy to eat humble pie!

Dragon66

Juniors

I felt the same way up until the CS and WCC.

I was willing to give him an off season to re configure our D.

Mary has them fired up and the effort is there, but our defence structure is the same, as I have posted elsewhere.

I Don t think he (or his coaching / defence staff) has worked out that stopping and planting your feet to keep a straight line is working.

On this simple basis I can't see any major improvement to our position on the ladder.

Hope I'm wrong and happy to eat humble pie!

It's not about humble pie, your quite right in your analysis but in my opinion it is still early days. Still time to fine tune the D now that they have a couple of 80 minute games under their belt. I agree about the wait and meet style of D not being very effective.

Last year it was their goal line defence that was most suspect and based on our early season efforts we seemed to have tighten that up a lot. Enthusiasm and commitment has improved. But still a long way to go to match it with the better sides.

Not many people are expecting them to feature in the 8 this year based on our current roster as compared to other teams so as long as we base our expectations on that basis we should have a reasonably enjoyable season of football.

After watching Souths against St Helen only reinforced how far we still have to go before we can be considered a top 8 side. But we heading in the right direction. Not sure how much improvement we have in the current squad, but as i said, as long as they play to the best of their ability I will give them the benefit of the doubt and take what ever positives I can out of their games.

Last edited:

Mr Red

First Grade
probably your dumbest post and that is saying something considering the absolute shit you dribble.

X2
LMS clueless dribbler...
And who uses the word chump??? You think you're Muhammed Ali or something ??

love my saints

Juniors
X2
LMS clueless dribbler...
And who uses the word chump??? You think you're Muhammed Ali or something ??

Hahaha look at what we have... the 5th member of the NFI crew.
You must feel privileged to be amongst such awesome people like grouch, sh!t shooter, dino, and this tonyT6 dude....
The 5 NFI about anything sh!t talkers.

love my saints

Juniors
Oh wow... captain NFI enters again with typical NFI crew policy... "when made to look stupid, scoop to spelling errors!!
Well captain NFI, your followers must be so proud of you leading by example.

Mr Red

First Grade
The point is you claim someone else has NFI in the same post that you misspelled 'response'. You're just lucky I got there first before any of the others ;-)

Exactly its the irony... Nothing to do with spelling... But alas he misses the point again..

Fingerbang

Bench
Really scraping the bottom of that barrel now Red, if you really feel the need to bag someone for spelling and grammatical errors.

Each to their own I guess.