What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forward thinking: Dragons after hard-hitting prop Napa

love my saints

Juniors
see the thing here is that Napa at the moment is a fringe first grader... BUT has enormous potential..
so in theory i think a good type of player any club should be scouting and recruiting..

HOWEVER - here lies the dilemma..... if he stays at the roosters under their current coaching structure he will develop into a very good first grader - potential rep player...
if he joins the dragons under the current coaching structure he will remain an average first grader... and in a few years we will be bagging him and wanting him to leave....

see any patterns here?
- Rein
- JDB
- Merrin
- Stockwell

we have the good kids coming through the ranks without a doubt, just once they join the first grade squad their development ceases.... before we worry about signing any good up and comers like Napa, we need to get the right coaches steering the ship, otherwise recruitment of these types of players will not reap the rewards it should.

So... in essence... what your saying is no player will develope there game under Mary?
Has Mary had a full pre season as HEAD COACH? No
Has Mary been given a chance to see what he has to offer as coach with players HE has chosen? Again no
People are judging him on the cutters, a team that chops and changes every week, a team filled with players he didnt ask for, players price wanted as depth players. He now has players he wants, lets see how he goes. Marshalls looking the best iv seen him in the last 3-4 years, frizzell has gone up another notch, creagh went up another notch once mary took over!
So how about we dont judge, he had half a season with prices players, how bout we at least give him a go before we make such silly statements?
Remember, every single coach started as a rookie! At least give Mary a chance to really show what he has.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
So... in essence... what your saying is no player will develope there game under Mary?
Has Mary been given a chance to see what he has to offer as coach with players HE has chosen? Again no
People are judging him on the cutters, a team that chops and changes every week, a team filled with players he didnt ask for, players price wanted as depth players. He now has players he wants, lets see how he goes. Marshalls looking the best iv seen him in the last 3-4 years, frizzell has gone up another notch, creagh went up another notch once mary took over!
So how about we dont judge, he had half a season with prices players, how bout we at least give him a go before we make such silly statements?
Remember, every single coach started as a rookie! At least give Mary a chance to really show what he has.

How much time will Mary have to prove himself? Price almost had 2.5 years. I'am not sure whether Mary will get as much grace.

love my saints

Juniors
How much time will Mary have to prove himself? Price almost had 2.5 years. I'am not sure whether Mary will get as much grace.

I dont think he will either, the club would have learnt from the Price fiasco.
If 2015 turns out to be a failure season im sure mary will be sent packing.
All im saying is the guy deserves the chance at least to show what he has, he has had a whole off season, got size up front, there are no excuses now.
He may turn out to be a dud coach, yet he also may turn out to be the next great coach. Time will tell, but i for one am willing to be positive and give him a chance to show what he can do.

Last edited:

TonyT6

First Grade

He had 14 games last year to show something but he didn't improve the defensive side of the team at all.memo to Mary, the "backwards slide" is not an effective defensive pattern.

We went from 11th to 11th under Mary and nothing I've seen in preseason shows me we have got better

love my saints

Juniors
He had 14 games last year to show something but he didn't improve the defensive side of the team at all.memo to Mary, the "backwards slide" is not an effective defensive pattern.

We went from 11th to 11th under Mary and nothing I've seen in preseason shows me we have got better

He took over a team that has no moral, players that price wanted, a team that wasnt competitive at all.
He turned that team around, if you'r going to tell me they wernt more competitive under mary then your as bad as grouch and sh!t shooter.
The team improved alot under mary. And to use the "we finished 11th" line just goes to show how limited your knowledge of rugby league is.

giboz71

First Grade
see the thing here is that Napa at the moment is a fringe first grader... BUT has enormous potential..
so in theory i think a good type of player any club should be scouting and recruiting..

HOWEVER - here lies the dilemma..... if he stays at the roosters under their current coaching structure he will develop into a very good first grader - potential rep player...
if he joins the dragons under the current coaching structure he will remain an average first grader... and in a few years we will be bagging him and wanting him to leave....

see any patterns here?
- Rein
- JDB
- Merrin
- Stockwell

we have the good kids coming through the ranks without a doubt, just once they join the first grade squad their development ceases.... before we worry about signing any good up and comers like Napa, we need to get the right coaches steering the ship, otherwise recruitment of these types of players will not reap the rewards it should.

x2

I've been saying this for a while.

And its not just the juniors. Highly prized recruits have suffered as well.

Beale came to us with high hopes, as did Harrison. Daniel Vidot was meant to soften the loss of Gasnier. Groat and Drinkwater were highly regarded juniors who did nothing here and were shown the door.

A lot of this had to do with Price, and I'm willing to give Mary a chance to turn this around.

The early form of Marshall is a good sign.

Mr Red

First Grade

no, what i'm saying is that no player will reach their full potential - very different.
see you after 6 or 7 games with you revised thoughts on the matter.

love my saints

Juniors
Wow, another positive supporter... between yourself, grouch, dino, and sh!t shooter we sure got a positive supportive bunch of supporters dont we.

Mr Red

First Grade
Wow, another positive supporter... between yourself, grouch, dino, and sh!t shooter we sure got a positive supportive bunch of supporters dont we.

YAWN....
i had an opinion, i used evidence to support that opinion...
its not the same as yours...
deal with it...

you dont see me pulling out the "you're an apologist" line do you??

love my saints

Juniors
lol.. yeah... thoise people don't include the NSW Origin selectors 10 times, or Wayne Bennett and Phiul Gould. I think I'll sit with them.

Docker is a fking plodder.

Are you reffering to the same NSW selectors that lost 8 years in a row??? Yehhhh that 8 years straight showed what good judges of talent they are....

love my saints

Juniors
YAWN....
i had an opinion, i used evidence to support that opinion...
its not the same as yours...
deal with it...

you dont see me pulling out the "you're an apologist" line do you??

Yeh you had an opinion, claiming a player wont develope his game under mary.... i think differently, so i stated that, its a forum, people will go back and forth on different ideas and views, YOU DEAL WITH IT...
I'll stand up for my team, for my club, and if my opinion differs from yours ill state it, you dont have to get emotional, ill buy you a tampon to share with your other negative buddies :)

TonyT6

First Grade
Are you reffering to the same NSW selectors that lost 8 years in a row??? Yehhhh that 8 years straight showed what good judges of talent they are....

probably your dumbest post and that is saying something considering the absolute shit you dribble.

love my saints

Juniors
probably your dumbest post and that is saying something considering the absolute shit you dribble.

Seems like the "NFI" gang got a new member. Explain what is wrong with my post.
I stated the same selectors that picked a team thats been whooped 8 years straight.
You claim i dribble shit? State where im dribbling shit.
Go on, show us your expertise in the "NFI" category chump. And dont do a grouch and avoid this... you called me out? Im calling you out now chump!!!
Im awaiting your reply.

Last edited:

TonyT6

First Grade
Seems like the "NFI" gang got a new member. Explain what is wrong with my post.
I stated the same selectors that picked a team thats been whooped 8 years straight.
You claim i dribble shit? State where im drivbling shit.
Go on, show us your expertise in the "NFI" category chump. And do a grouch and avoid this... you called me out? Im calling you out now chump!!!
Im awaiting your reply.

You were trying to justify your anti Merrin stance by diminishing his achievement of playing Origin footy by saying "Are you reffering to the same NSW selectors that lost 8 years in a row??? Yehhhh that 8 years straight showed what good judges of talent they are....".

Only someone with NFI would draw such a conclusion and make the comparison.

Dragon66

Juniors
As far as I'm concerned I'm not yet sure if Mary is going to turn out to be a good coach or not.

IMO the jury is still out.

But considering the schmoozle Price and Doust made of the club since Bennett left I can't fault anything the Mary has done up to this stage.

He seemed to restore pride and commitment back into the players when he took over last season. They competed well under his stewardship until that last round capitulation to Newcastle.
During the offseason he off loaded all the deadwood, except Hunt due to nobody else wanting him because of his ridiculous contact value. I wanted to see Green gone but I bet his contract is minuscule .
He chased every good front rower that was off contract from other clubs during the off season to no avail, we all have different views to why we did not secure a top line signing, but he still made the right moves to bulk up our forward pack with big men. Time will tell if any of his choices are up to the job.
He bought in Nabuli who we all think should turn out to be a success. And has bought up the best of our 20's from last season with a genuine view to giving them every chance to stake a claim for a starting spot, if not this year definitely the next hence all these one year contracts.
He also bought in experienced backups to assist in providing direction for our younger brigade of players to help in their development.

And so far we performed well in the Nines, showed an improved attitude to defence in the CS and almost pulled of a win, went to England and came home with a victory. The best beginning to a season for quite a while.

So far so good. I'm prepared to wait until round 10 before I decide whether Mary can coach or not, and join the chorus of those that want him replaced. IMO he going as well as can be expected after three disastrous years.

Unlike some who are writing him off before a ball has been kicked off in anger I'm hoping that he can get our under rated squad of players to play to their best ability and at the worst earn the respect of the opposing teams as the season progresses. And some of our supporters as well.

love my saints

Juniors
You were trying to justify your anti Merrin stance by diminishing his achievement of playing Origin footy by saying "Are you reffering to the same NSW selectors that lost 8 years in a row??? Yehhhh that 8 years straight showed what good judges of talent they are....".

Only someone with NFI would draw such a conclusion and make the comparison.

Considering my post was responding to someone saying he will judge merrins standing based on NSW selectors, my responce was more then valid and actually correct.
So the NFI professional is actually you for jumping in and trying to put down a claim thats actual fact.
But, just like the rest of your "NFI" crew keep on making asses of yourself!!!
Iv never said merrin isnt a good player, iv said all along he is a good player, but he isnt a $800k per year player.
So sorry to prove you wrong and show up your stupidity, but thats what you get when you jump in and claim i dribble shit.
Facts are facts, those selectors chose a loosing team for 8 years, saying they rate anyone is beyond a joke!!!
But good try chump, go practice on some amatuers before stepping up to the big boys ;-)
If you struggle to find people on your stupidity level look for the names grouch, objective view, and dino.... they are more on your level chump