What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FRANCE VS KIWIS live score

Jesbass

First Grade
carlnz said:
Yes but Kidwell had his arm around the players neck and trying to flip him - that was a penalty anyway.

I don't debate that Kidwell was involved. But the referee penalised Bronson Harrison for having his hand all over the guy's face - or at least, that's how I interpreted his ruling. He may have been penalising Kidwell for his part, but I know it was Bronson who had his hand on the Frenchman's face.

carlnz said:
The ball was one on one tackle, he had every right to carry on playing.

I disagree, but that is only on first impressions. The French media provided no replays for that particular passage of play, unfortunately. (I agree that it was one on one, but not that the fullback tried to strip the ball from the charging prop.)

carlnz said:
Good on the french players, they didnt stop playing like the Kiwis did, they played to the whistle.

I agree. I don't know why the Kiwis would occasionally turn to look at the referee, hoping for a penalty, while the ball was still in play. It boggles the mind. :?

JasonE

Bench
screeny said:
If you're watching that match as a neutral, and judging the hlaves, you'd have to say that Jones is not fit to lace Rinaldi's boots. The latter's been my favourite player for 10 years, he's got mad skills and controls the game absolutely as he wishes.

I too have been a Rinaldi fan for many years, he was compared in style to Peter Sterling when he was about 18. It will be interesting to see how he and Stacey combine and who plays where. Their styles should compliment each other if Jones gets back to his running game.

ali

Bench
c_eagle said:
Dang, would have been great too see France get home for the big turn out.

If that's true, they've shat all over Perpignan for the Aussie match. And that's 2 years in a row, the Toulouse fans have come out in force. I'm still wishing Touslouse had been the first French side admitted to Super league, not Perpignan. I'm a little concerned they might not get the crowds we are hoping for next year.

Jeffles

Bench
Toulouse is more central to French RL fans. As far as individual club support goes, UTC was the most popular side. Also, I think many fans went to atch the NZ after they saw how close the Roos game was.

c_eagle

Juniors
ali said:
If that's true, they've shat all over Perpignan for the Aussie match. And that's 2 years in a row, the Toulouse fans have come out in force. I'm still wishing Touslouse had been the first French side admitted to Super league, not Perpignan. I'm a little concerned they might not get the crowds we are hoping for next year.
It's not about crowds imo, it's about viability, at first anyway. Get the team strong, get the National team competitive and the market will be tapped.

I think they'll get pretty good crowds. Perpignan is the Treizist heartland, Toulouse is alot more partial to Union. We don't want to see another PSG.

Btw, I do think Toulouse will be in Super League when the Franchises are reviewed. Add to that, a Welsh team and you've got one great competition.

Art Vanderlay

Juniors
Was at the game in Toulouse first of all nice Stadium pity its in the middle of no where!

If one thing was made clear never never play Solomona at 5/8!

The ref what a clown, very poor standard.

Although we made it hard for ourselves poor options taken untill the 72nd minute.
Great moment at the end of the game Rubes waiting for Stacey (who was doing tv) walking off together!!

And Jake Webster K O'ed looked a very sad boy walking off, what a hit he took!!

The French played very well great hits on the kiwi boys they played a great 60 mins!
The French crowd (7000) great support to their team when they where posting the tries, and after the game back at the pub with the French fans, great stuff!! arhhh Footy, Beers and talking the greatest game of all! in a kiwi english with hints of french accent (after 4 - 5 beers it all sounded the same)

One funny moment at the pub A french fan started talking history to me "these English conqure der world and balls every thing up blah blah"
I was then going to asked him why the boulavard's in Paris are lined with Palm tress??
But then he brought me a beer so did mention it or the punch line!! hehehe!!

Art Vanderlay

Juniors
Just reading the other posts the timing of the game and low crowd wasnt help by being up against Toulouse RU v Clearmont RU when we did get back to the pub this game was on packed!! once it finished the pub emptied to half full!

The French guys I was with also cant belive the lack of promo by the french Fed.
One of the guys was a development officer for local schools and he wasnt even given any freebies for the kids...free ticks for the kids parents pay type of thing.

BTW They all said they will be backing Les Catalan next season and hope Les Catalan do well as they want Toulouse in the SL in 2 - 3 years!! great bunch of guys all living and breathing the game!!

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
I was there and suspect 8,000-9,000 crowd.... 10,000 maximum in a 20,000 seat stadium. Not bad, not good, but should have been nearly full if the Federation had done more. There were big posters in the glass enclosed display boards at Perpignan for the Aussie Test, but I have no idea about other efforts at either match.

Rinaldi was better at Perpignan than Toulouse, but still excellent. Devastating first 30 minutes, when he outplayed the Aussies. I told him it was the best I had ever seen of him, and his Aussie girlfriend agreed. He denied he was playing so well. Modest guy. Then I mentioned him being taken off because of concussion after a big hit. He denies he was injured when replaced --- his girl friend, like me, thought he was --- but if he was concussed he may not have known.

Greseque had a great few great attacking spells at Perpignan, including the try he scored. At Toulouse he kicked a beautiful 40-20, which laid the foundation shortly after for a try from Raguin. He had a try disallowed --- I was not in position to see why, but I am waiting for the video. Greseque was knocked out at Toulouse. Came to the reception but could not stay. Threw up in the shower. Under medical attention. On Saturday said he still had a bad headache.

Sebastian Raguin had a big game at Toulouse. Cemented his place in the second row. Of course, if he lost 8 kilos and increased his strength training he would have better acceleration, and in my opinion would be better than Fakir, and better than any British second rower. Fakir already is better than any British second rower based on watching the last two weekends' international performances in France and Britain. Ferriol and Fellous were also very tough and generally excellent in attack and defence. Guisset, the Frenchman who speaks English fluently with a Warrington accent, was quieter than in earlier games.

I spoke to Stacey. He loves being in France, though in and out for a month so far. Thinks the French are going to be very good. Waiting for the arrival of Alex Chan whose wife is also expecting a baby next week. Stacey's family will join him in France in January.

David Berthezene was disappointed at losing. After I congratulated him and the team he told me that it was not just about playing well but also about winning. "We always lose!" he complained. I told him that he needs to be patient, that a year from now, with a full Super League season under the belts of the Catalans half of the French team, they would be a physically and mentally superior team. He felt better after hearing that.

France's three problems as I see them:

1. Conditioning (though getting better).

2. Defence on their line

3. No international quality centres.

Jean Emmanuel Cassin, who was a big hit in the 2000 World Cup and now 25 I think, is quite small, and maybe too small for international rugby league centre. However given the drastic problems France faces in that position, he should be lured back from rugby union to try out again. Hopefully a junior or another union centre will also show up.

Greseque needs to be starting five eighth and speedy Cedric Gay the bench replacement for Berthezene. With Elima also on the bench for Fakir and Raguin, and Fellous and Borlin for Ferriol and Guisset, that will make an awesome forward pack.

carlnz

Bench
Just think if the whole French team was fully professional they would have beaten the Kiwis last weekend.

They have a lot of raw talent, im going to watch the match again just to see that brillant team try by the French winger.

Greseque dropped the ball just before the line, thats why it was no try.

JasonE

Bench
AlbertRosenfeld said:
France's three problems as I see them:

1. Conditioning (though getting better).

2. Defence on their line

3. No international quality centres.

Jean Emmanuel Cassin, who was a big hit in the 2000 World Cup and now 25 I think, is quite small, and maybe too small for international rugby league centre. However given the drastic problems France faces in that position, he should be lured back from rugby union to try out again. Hopefully a junior or another union centre will also show up.
Is there any chance that Yaccine Dekkiche will come back from Rugby Union, he was potentially a great centre, don't forget Sylvain Houles will be available next year as well.
Agree about Raguin, if he worked his arse off and got super fit he could be a sensation and yes Fakir is a better running 2nd rower than anything GB have.
How did Saddoui go v NZ ? he is very young and could be the big centre France need and it's important Couturier develops well at Hull KR. Hope Saddoui has a big season with Les Catalans.
My 2006 full strength test side would be:
1. Guigue
2. Zitter
3. Houles
4. Saddoui
5. Charles
6. Greseque
7. Rinaldi
8. Guisset
9. Bertheneze
10. Fellous
11. Elima
12. Fakir
13. Mounis
reserves: Ferriol, Gay, Raguin & JC Borlin

Thats a strong pack with plenty of impact from the bench. Another candidate for a bench spot is Remi Casty, a 20yo prop who looks like one to watch.

Ari Gold

Bench
My 2006 french team

1. Guigue
2. Zitter
3. Houles
4. Saddoui
5. Charles
6. Greseque
7. Rinaldi
8. Guisset
9. Bertheneze
10. Ferriol
11. Elima
12. Fakir
13. Mounis

14. Moly
15. Raguin
16. Fellous
17. Carrasco/Cologni/Couturier

c_eagle

Juniors
I think Fakir should start on the bench. Imagine having someone with his impact coming on at the 25th minute, it would change any game.

carlnz

Bench
c_eagle said:
I think Fakir should start on the bench. Imagine having someone with his impact coming on at the 25th minute, it would change any game.

Well he didnt against the Kiwis:?

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
JasonE said:
Is there any chance that Yaccine Dekkiche will come back from Rugby Union, he was potentially a great centre, don't forget Sylvain Houles will be available next year as well.
Agree about Raguin, if he worked his arse off and got super fit he could be a sensation and yes Fakir is a better running 2nd rower than anything GB have.
How did Saddoui go v NZ ? he is very young and could be the big centre France need and it's important Couturier develops well at Hull KR. Hope Saddoui has a big season with Les Catalans.
My 2006 full strength test side would be:
1. Guigue
2. Zitter
3. Houles
4. Saddoui
5. Charles
6. Greseque
7. Rinaldi
8. Guisset
9. Bertheneze
10. Fellous
11. Elima
12. Fakir
13. Mounis
reserves: Ferriol, Gay, Raguin & JC Borlin

Thats a strong pack with plenty of impact from the bench. Another candidate for a bench spot is Remi Casty, a 20yo prop who looks like one to watch.

As for your question on Dekkiche I don't know the answer. Somebody mentioned Dekkiche the other day, but whether he is really interested in coming back or not I don't know. I am sure that if you are not playing union in the top 16 clubs in France, then life in union is very boring, albeit well paid. But the problem is that all the French rugby league clubs have bought their top players in September, and no Union player could be afforded by any club other than Toulouse, if that. (Remember that Fabrice Estabenez was lured from Toulouse by a third tier union club Gaillac).

Sadaoui had no impact on the match. Some people who admire his physical attributes question his mental attitude. Only time will tell. As for his partner, Jerome Hermet, he lacks speed and footwork. He is obviously out of his depth. His performance when he took the intercept against England --- he failed either to pin his ears back, or set up Freddy Zitter on his right with a pass --- said it all to me. Damien Couturier, who is a sweet guy (and speaks good English) is only 88 kg. Which is why I think that he should be on the wing, but playing in the centre till the French can find two classy centres who can replace him. If Guige gets injured, Zitter can play full back (he is a devastating attacker from there, as he showed even at lowly Barrow) and Couturier can go on the wing. But only when they find quality centres.

I saw and met Sylvain Houles when he played for London. He is fast, but had some handling problems then, and has brittle bones, it seems. But he is still young and committed (his father, who was a rugby league player, told Sylvain to do whatever he wanted in life, but never, never play rugby union). His English is good. The girls should like him too. I will try to follow his progress at Toulouse.

John Monie, who goes back to Australia in a week, wll be dependent on the talent scouting of his French assistant coaches, and team manager, for most of next year's squad of 40. Obviously the top 20 will be there again barring injury.

It is great that France has absolutely no weakness in the forwards, with quality players like Carrasco and young Remy Casty not guaranteed a place. Might I remind you that there is young 20 year old second rower David Delpoux, and young prop Faure, both at Toulouse, both overweight like Raguin, but with a tremendous future, hovering in the background. So there is some real depth in the French forwards. Moreover, as they improve their conditioning and gain more experience their pack will become awesome.

However no sign of new Rinaldis or Greseques in their teens as yet.

I think the short term solution for France's centre weakness will have to come from rugby union converts or reconverts. And over time junior talent will come through.

I see France beating GB in two years if not earlier, and maybe the Kiwis as well in 2007 or 2008 (though we cannot yet calculate the impact of the addition of Benji and Sonny Bill playing for New Zealand on the same day).

After last weekend's performances, I see no good reason not to have France as part of a Four Nations next year. The current squad will not disgrace themselves, and they will keep the Australian and New Zealand crowds very entertained.

screeny

Bench
Very interesting thread indeed.

I'm not a Houles fan, but after reading the above post I love him (and his father).

Seen Casty play and don't know what all the fuss is about. What happened to the man mountain, Martins? Why didn't he get a look in? Is it because he's too young still?

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
screeny said:
Very interesting thread indeed.

I'm not a Houles fan, but after reading the above post I love him (and his father).

Seen Casty play and don't know what all the fuss is about. What happened to the man mountain, Martins? Why didn't he get a look in? Is it because he's too young still?

Screeny you are the first person to have mentioned Sebastian Martins online. I have never seen him play but former French coach Mick Aldous told me that Martins is a guy with a future. I suspect that the fact he is only 21, and that France has plenty of second row talent is the reason he has not got a look in.

Or were you thinking of him as a centre? That might be a creative solution... training a huge second rower to play as a centre. If he is fast enough. I was told that Fakir was once a centre, though can't be sure it is true. But certainly Fakir has the pace (if he ever breaks the line, few will catch him), and so might Martins. Given the guarantee that Fakir, Raguin and Elima have on the second row, with Carrasco, Delpoux and Cologni as other options there, maybe his club Les Catalans -- who have Fakir, Hindmarsh and others vying for second row --- could be encouraged to try Martins as a centre.?

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
Jason E mentioned Dekkiche. He was a star in the 2000 French World Cup team on the wing. He also played full back, but never centre as far as I know. He should be lured back anyway, if anyone can afford him.

Latest posts