What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

France's proposed Super 13 Pro League - Which teams?

joshreading

Staff member
It seems from reading the articles that they are pretty much planning of taking four soccer run RL teams and adding them to Nine present teams.

Not sure that having so many teams is going to be a good idea but hopefully I am wrong.

Gambass

Juniors
It seems from reading the articles that they are pretty much planning of taking four soccer run RL teams and adding them to Nine present teams.

Yeah, that's pretty much it.

Not sure that having so many teams is going to be a good idea but hopefully I am wrong.

Hopefully, the final project will have nothing to do with that. Because, at the moment, the all thing is hardly making any sense to be honest...

The only thing almost certain for the moment, is that the game against Wales will be played in Lens (northen France, close to Lille) in a 42k seater stadium. Lens is a small soccer-crazy town with virtualy 0 history of either rugby union or league (or any other sport for that matter). I, for one, like it. It should have been done some 80 yearts ago, but it's never too late, right ? :D

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
I assume like the rest of Europe the soccer clubs are private owned? If they can use some of those resources then that's a good thing. Not even just finances the quality training fields. Great trainers and pyshio's are all a postive. Being in the off season a few soccer fans might jump on board. RL doesn't need to take over soccer just co-exist.

RedVee

First Grade
Yeah, that's pretty much it.

Hopefully, the final project will have nothing to do with that. Because, at the moment, the all thing is hardly making any sense to be honest...

The only thing almost certain for the moment, is that the game against Wales will be played in Lens (northen France, close to Lille) in a 42k seater stadium. Lens is a small soccer-crazy town with virtualy 0 history of either rugby union or league (or any other sport for that matter). I, for one, like it. It should have been done some 80 yearts ago, but it's never too late, right ? :D

As long as the fans support it.

VictoryFC

Bench
That statement is a bit ridiculous in Europe. It's like saying the Fijian economy doesn't need to compete with China, just co-exist.

I dont think what he said was ridiculous. Carving out your audience is more than doable in a 700m populated continent. Basketball, rugby union, handball, ice hockey, and league have all done it to a greater or lesser extent. The opportunities for league to build on that are big. And I think hes right in that league clubs sharing facilities is in itself a very positive outcome. Being part of a professional set up can help the sport tremendously.

RedVee

First Grade
I think he is suggested that it would be an impossibility to overtake soccer, likewise for Fijis economy to surpass Chinas in GDP etc.

yes, they should definately try to increase their audience and participants.

franklin2323

Immortal
That statement is a bit ridiculous in Europe. It's like saying the Fijian economy doesn't need to compete with China, just co-exist.

I wasn't saying you could kill off soccer. Just that filling 10k stadiums with the resources of the soccer clubs is achievable. Share sponsors, ticketing arrangements etc could be used to lift the profile in non RL places.

franklin2323

Immortal

I wasn't saying you could kill off soccer. Just that filling 10k stadiums with the resources of the soccer clubs is achievable. Share sponsors, ticketing arrangements etc could be used to lift the profile in non RL places.

clarency

Juniors

It's not comparable to economy for two reasons. People can follow both sports very easily, and secondly it markets itself with somewhat of a different product (more brutal) and hence a different type of preference.

But if you want to go down that path and treat soccer like an enemy then RL will find itself with no cooperation from the people with all the resources.

They are doing exactly the right thing here.

Gambass

Juniors

In neither of these new cities they are talking about, you will find a 8-10K stadium that could be suitable for such a competition. It's either your regular soccer stadium (25K+) or some very little stadiums (2,3K at the most) very much like the ones where LER sides are already playing.

They are talking of scheduling some games just before the soccer game kick-off, but that means 0 revenue will be generated and, besides, I don't see the soccer league be so pleased about it.

The stadium question will be a very tough one to solve.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
This proposal is much less hot air than the former USA one in my opinion.

The current priority would surely be the Wales-France game in Lens. Something further may evolve once this is out of the way.

Gambass

Juniors
Well, that may be the first step, but I doubt we'll heard anything new before the new federation's president be elected.

PacificCoastRL

Juniors
Just a thought on Super 13's involvement with soccer clubs. Seattle Sounders FC of MLS are under the same umbrella as the Seattle Seahawks of the NFL due to Paul Allen's involvement with both ownership groups. In some circles the Sounders are considered the most successful expansion franchise launch in the history of pro sports in North America. The Sounders use a lot of the Seahawks resources, including the marketing department. Earlier this year the Sounders attracted over 60,000 to a match against the David Beckham-led LA Galaxy, while just this past Saturday over 55,000 came out to watch the Sounders play Pacific Coast rivals, the Vancouver Whitecaps FC. It would certainly be a boon to the Super 13 if they can get some high profile French soccer clubs on board.

deal.with.it

Juniors
Just a thought on Super 13's involvement with soccer clubs. Seattle Sounders FC of MLS are under the same umbrella as the Seattle Seahawks of the NFL due to Paul Allen's involvement with both ownership groups. In some circles the Sounders are considered the most successful expansion franchise launch in the history of pro sports in North America. The Sounders use a lot of the Seahawks resources, including the marketing department. Earlier this year the Sounders attracted over 60,000 to a match against the David Beckham-led LA Galaxy, while just this past Saturday over 55,000 came out to watch the Sounders play Pacific Coast rivals, the Vancouver Whitecaps FC. It would certainly be a boon to the Super 13 if they can get some high profile French soccer clubs on board.

Similar herein aud with the newcastle knights (nrl) and jets (soccer) sharing admin and marketing etc.
I think its a great idea if the seasons dont clash.