What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Francis Molo

I got several comments back disagreeing with what I said a few months back now when the Amone issue first surfaced. But I'll repeat it anyway- the Dragons arent the only ones to have issues with their players these days, and to me it all stems back to the same thing. Young kids now dont seem to have a handbrake in their head that stops them rushing off and doing stupid things. When i was growing up,fear of the Law or my father or family stopped most stupid things happening even past the age of 18. We see a reflection now of kids growing up with neither any discipline, or fear of consequences for their actions. Its happening everywhere and i cant believe once again its the Dragons leading the way. Its not a club culture issue with Amone and Molo, although i believe we have one anyway. A few other clubs (Storm,Roosters,Souths) now sadly have the culture that we used to have and were known for. There seems to be no pride left in our jersey, and short of a miracle i cant see it ever returning. After the Souths game ,i think were in for a long bleak winter.
Now ill wait for the comments telling me im an old Boomer picking on kids again

I got several comments back disagreeing with what I said a few months back now when the Amone issue first surfaced. But I'll repeat it anyway- the Dragons arent the only ones to have issues with their players these days, and to me it all stems back to the same thing. Young kids now dont seem to have a handbrake in their head that stops them rushing off and doing stupid things. When i was growing up,fear of the Law or my father or family stopped most stupid things happening even past the age of 18. We see a reflection now of kids growing up with neither any discipline, or fear of consequences for their actions. Its happening everywhere and i cant believe once again its the Dragons leading the way. Its not a club culture issue with Amone and Molo, although i believe we have one anyway. A few other clubs (Storm,Roosters,Souths) now sadly have the culture that we used to have and were known for. There seems to be no pride left in our jersey, and short of a miracle i cant see it ever returning. After the Souths game ,i think were in for a long bleak winter.

If you have a lot of problems, hopefully you can bind together.

Despite the challenges, if your remaining players try and have a red hot go, every second of every game, you can still be very proud of them.

And same with the fans.

Belta

Juniors
Some good points.

He’s admitted to a stalk or intimidate and as I understand the charge, it has to have the element of intent as well as the conduct.

That makes sense because say if the waitress was abrupt but didn’t mean to be, even if it upset the nice friend, it would be fatal to the charge. It could not be sustained.

So if Molo has pleaded guilty, then he must have accepted the intent to either stalk or intimidate.

Then we turn to the actual conduct and as we know, he’s not admitting to the conduct alleged by Police. Until a deal is struck or the court makes a finding, we won’t know what he’s done.

But if he hadn’t intended some stalk or intimidate he should not have pleaded guilty.
Some people plead guilty when they shouldn’t as was mentioned earlier in the thread.

I am wondering if the facts allege that he intended something which he says he didn’t intend and he could be challenging that. But the intention, some degree of it, remains.

Also, it is a domestic violence charge, but it is not a domestic violence order. There could be one of those as well.

But if the cops were not especially concerned with the serious case, they could have sought the domestic violence order, which has easier proofs for them and less onerous outcomes for Molo. But they believe it’s more serious.

He would just need to obey conditions if he accepted an domestic violence order and could do so without admitting to facts. Its only if he is found to have breached an avo it that it becomes criminal. The nature of the breach will determine custody or not.

Just jumping across to your side, as far as we know, the Office of the Director of Prosecutions is not seeking beyond 2 or 3 years full time as they haven’t elected to take it up stairs on indictment.

So whatever he’s done, it’s not at the lower end or the higher end.

But he intended to be a creep and that’s by his own admission.

I can’t take your Amone thoughts any higher than you have. He deserves his rights to process ( as also championed here) but the case against him appears compelling.

So given the above, if it is correct, on the balance, I’m not comfortable with him slipping back into the side as if nothing has happened.

If the club and the nrl want to ignore his intent, I think that’s problematic and I prefer a more serious treatment.

There was a vulnerable female involved and grog.
Okay thanks for those explanations. Hopefully it’s towards the minor end of the scale and a deal is struck. One would assume the best case scenario will be a guilty plea on amended police facts (which will obviously be less critical on Francis) and by doing so he may well avoid further sanctions from club/NRL. A plea on a minor intimidation amended to show even less elements of intimidation/stalking

Belta

Juniors
Definitely not an old Boomer picking on kids. The most topical news item atm is the violent and lawless youth. It’s appears to be escalating and the law makers and law enforcers have a real dilemma and no apparent solutions.

Gareth67

First Grade
Excellent post Dragon supporter , no issues from me with your comments as they are most unfortunately very true .

When I was young ( eons ago ) I always behaved in a manner that would never darken my family’s good name . Sure as a young yahoo I was the same as the rest , drinking a bit too much , being a bit of lair and attempting to have a roll in the hay with anything in a dress .

But one matured very quickly in those days , as life was hard , much harder than now . You had to work to survive
as there was no fallback such as unemployment benefits.

Point is that in those days people respected the boys in blue realising that they had a job to do . However in today’s society things have changed drastically to the point where we have gangs freely causing mayhem and bloody violence with little or no regard to the innocent bystander .

What has this to do with rugby league one may ask ? Quite simply that many of the unlawful acts that a few players have caused and now find themselves before a court of law stems - in my mind - from a childhood where there was little or no discipline whatsoever .

These fools go out and with a gift of being marvellous rugby league players with tremendous potential , only to throw it all away on some random act of absolute stupidity .

I do not shed a tear for them .

Last edited:

SGMax

Juniors
I don't understand the contracts that the NRL is using.
Surely there are 2 sides....we pay a player $x per year and they will play football in return.

In cases like JDB, Amone, Molo, where they are unable to play due to non football reasons, why are we still paying on the contract?
Even in Ramsey's unfortunate case, why is he taking up cap space when he is unable to provide his part of the contract? Yes, we could offer assistance in the fprm of Sick leave etc... outside of the cap.

At best, contracts should be frozen/paused until services can be provided.
At worst, contracts should be defaulted / cancelled once a player compromises their ability to provide their side of the contract.... regardless of whose fault it is.

Yow

Juniors
Every night the boogeyman checks under his bed for JDB…in all seriousness, how this club didn’t part ways with JDB after the bed saga is beyond me. Given a second chance, he decided to be an absolute f**kwit.
What charge do you lay for hiding under a bed

shazam

Juniors
T
Surely there are 2 sides....we pay a player $x per year and they will play football in return.

In cases like JDB, Amone, Molo, where they are unable to play due to non football reasons, why are we still paying on the contract?
Even in Ramsey's unfortunate case, why is he taking up cap space when he is unable to provide his part of the contract? Yes, we could offer assistance in the fprm of Sick leave etc... outside of the cap.

At worst, contracts should be defaulted / cancelled once a player compromises their ability to provide their side of the contract.... regardless of whose fault it is.
totally Agree
In the real world if we can’t do our work duties we either get sick pay or holiday leave etc
These footballers seem to live in a different world

BLM01

First Grade

You cant on legal grounds. It aint the NRL contracts that are wrong.

JDB / Amone free men until proven guilty. Illegal in law to not pay them and you can be sued for it, not just NRL. It is the NRL that chose to stop them playing.
Police put up with it quite often when fighting to clear their name for arrest victim treatment etc while they are stood down fron duties.

Molo may be sacked. I would say the NRL & Dragons are waiting the outcome of investigation as he is fighting said police report what actually happened although has agreed that something did happen. (i.e. severity of what actually happened). The NRL may deem fine / few week suspension enough, similar to Leilua? last year

Ramsay we are applying for cap relief. Injuries / sickness are part of life. If a doc deems he cant play again then you get your wish.

You cant on legal grounds. It aint the NRL contracts that are wrong.

JDB / Amone free men until proven guilty. Illegal in law to not pay them and you can be sued for it, not just NRL. It is the NRL that chose to stop them playing.
Police put up with it quite often when fighting to clear their name for arrest victim treatment etc while they are stood down fron duties.

Molo may be sacked. I would say the NRL & Dragons are waiting the outcome of investigation as he is fighting said police report what actually happened although has agreed that something did happen. (i.e. severity of what actually happened). The NRL may deem fine / few week suspension enough, similar to Leilua? last year

Ramsay we are applying for cap relief. Injuries / sickness are part of life. If a doc deems he cant play again then you get your wish.

All the nrl and the club have at the moment is his plea of guilty to the offence.

He can tell them something different happened from what the police allege but as you know, that doesn’t mean it’s formalised before the court.

The police can challenge his version of what happened in court and the court will decide what happened.

So anything the nrl and the club turn up in their investigation may not hold in terms of what the court says later.

I think pleading guilty to a domestic violence charge is probably enough to stand him down or other sanction for the moment.

Good point about Lucy.

Unsure about his ability to sue if he’s not guilty. They argue he has brought them into disrepute on the plea of guilty?

He wants to run amok with the grog and intend to stalk or intimidate a female ( not contested).

I’d think that’s enough for something. Pay him but ask him to stay away. He doesn’t have rights to train and play.

sgi should set the example and it might be a good lesson for other players. Not that everybody has tuned in.

Last edited:
Excellent post Dragon supporter , no issues from me with your comments as they are most unfortunately very true .

When I was young ( a very loooong time ago ) I always behaved in a manner that would never darken upon my family’s good name .

Most people in those days respected the boys in blue realising that they had a job to do . However in today’s society things have changed drastically to the point where we have gangs freely causing mayhem and bloody violence with little or no regard to the innocent bystander .
What has this to do with rugby league one may ask ? Quite simply that many of the unlawful acts that a few players have caused and now find themselves before a court of law stems - in my mind - from a childhood where there was little or no discipline whatsoever .

These fools go out and with a gift of being marvellous rugby league players with tremendous potential , only to throw it all away on some random act of absolute stupidity .

I do not shed a tear for them .

I think we were all a bit stupid in our youth, but Amone…

When you can snap like that, I think it’s a mental issue. Another event might have set him off. What he is alleged to have done is brutal, we might be entering psychiatric territory.

To be fair to the club, there’s simply no way it could have predicted that event.

I understand he was brought up in some outlaw code. Rarely ends well. But not all outlaws are going to go beserk like Amone did.

FYI the federal government is thinking about giving victims access to some of the convicted criminals superannuation in reparations.

An interesting proposition. I’m tentatively in favour of it.

BLM01

First Grade
All the nrl and the club have at the moment is his plea of guilty to the offence.

He can tell them something different happened from what the police allege but as you know, that doesn’t mean it’s formalised before the court.

The police can challenge his version of what happened in court and the court will decide what happened.

So anything the nrl and the club turn up in their investigation may not hold in terms of what the court says later.

I think pleading guilty to a domestic violence charge is probably enough to stand him down or other sanction for the moment.

Good point about Lucy.

Unsure about his ability to sue if he’s not guilty. They argue he has brought them into disrepute on the plea of guilty?

He wants to run amok with the grog and intend to stalk or intimidate a female ( not contested).

I’d think that’s enough for something. Pay him but ask him to stay away. He doesn’t have rights to train and play.

sgi should set the example and it might be a good lesson for other players. Not that everybody has tuned in.
Thanks for all that. But there was no need.
I said Molo would probably be stood down but NRL / club want more info to decide length etc (punishment) and cause he has plead he does not have a leg to stand on to avoid whatever punishment from the NRL comes his way.

Latest posts