What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frank Farina tells NRL, AFL told to grow up over Cup bid

E.T.D

Juniors
I've looked at what Farina has said, and as much as I'd like to pick a fight with him, in this instance, I cannot really query anything he said in that article.

People have to start looking at the big picture and what's best in the national interest and stop worrying about their little patch of turf.

It might not seem like it now, but in the long run, everyone will be a winner.

gerg

Juniors
And hey, lets bring on the world cup...every man women and child, whether they like sport or football or not IS going to benefit. For years to come. Football can have its cake and we can eat it too. Obviously they get a big slice....

Won't the majority of profits actually go to FFA and FIFA not the Australian government (ie. taxpayer) who fund the upgrade to grounds (grounds which following the WC will have a sterile atmosphere - like the sharks playing souths at ANZ in front of 200 people?)

gronkathon

First Grade
I had no idea who Frank Farima was until I read the first line of the article.

I assume he was a part of the Australian soccer team when they were a rabble of ethnic hacks who were considered fortunate to not get belted by Equitorial Guinea in a match.

Either way this is the time for the NRL & AFL CEO's to force the FFA to the bargaining table. That way we are compensated, the bid goes through without being mired by the issue and therefor there is a good chance of the sideshow rolling into town down the track.

This is for discussion by people who matter, serious people with serious clout. Not some niff nuff "not even good enough to be a has been jobless" poser

Evenflow

Bench
Make a bet?

The NRL sells out what? 5-10 games a year?

I guarantee every game in the WC will be sold out. And that's in 40K+ stadiums.

If there's a more idiotic comparison that has been made then i'm yet to hear it.

The Tank

Bench
Just a question - how much money does the FFA have? Would they be personally responsible for compensation or will the government assist them financially as part of their World Cup pledge?

Make a bet?

The NRL sells out what? 5-10 games a year?

I guarantee every game in the WC will be sold out. And that's in 40K+ stadiums.

So you're comparing soccer internationals including countries like Brazil against NRL club games involving places like Parramatta.

Right.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Frank is the most hated man in FFA from what i can gather, no prick liked him as a coach, and no one likes him when he opens his mouth, stick to running clubs into the ground with boring, unimaginative tactics, you clown

Won't the majority of profits actually go to FFA and FIFA not the Australian government (ie. taxpayer) who fund the upgrade to grounds (grounds which following the WC will have a sterile atmosphere - like the sharks playing souths at ANZ in front of 200 people?)

Profits from the WC event go to the FFA just like it did with Rugby when they hosted. Where the tax payer benefits is from the improved infrastructure/business generation/tourist dollars and jobs they create.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Okay, so let's compare them to Rugby League internationals crowds. Now what?

Ok, lets compare A-league crowd and TV figures with NRL... or better yet, directly conversing with your ridiculous comparison, lets compare a-league crowds and tv figures against that of S.O.O
Hell we could compare the a-league to U20's and RL would still win out! :lol:

:lol::lol:
come on man, even you must conceed, that was a f**king absurd comparison to make

franklin2323

Immortal
This is what bugs me with this bid. Soccer is 3rd maybe 4th if you count cricket in this country. Yet right in middle of the season they want as to put our comps on hold for them.

I know it wouldn't happen due to the seasons but try putting the WC in US and saying NFL, NBA go and have a break mid season. Imagine the outrage. in 1996 the baseball could play just not in host cities still cost about $450m in comp etc

FIFA says no pro comps can play at the same time. No prob for Germany, Brazil etc because soccer is number 1.

After compo is payed to the NRL and AFL. It has to be sponsors. TV networks etc wont have a product so wont pay or will want it paid back.

Would it be worth us having it? We get stadium upgrades granted but the Government pays for them. So any tourism benefit would be nulified.

Ok, lets compare A-league crowd and TV figures with NRL... or better yet, directly conversing with your ridiculous comparison, lets compare a-league crowds and tv figures against that of S.O.O
Hell we could compare the a-league to U20's and RL would still win out! :lol:

:lol::lol:
come on man, even you must conceed, that was a f**king absurd comparison to make

You need to go back a couple of posts. It wasn't my comparison at all. I was just adding to an existing post from 'Non T' (who I wasn't putting sh1t on as he's a Roosters brother) and my point I was trying to make is exactly the same as yours. You just can't compare them and I wasn't. Oh, do under 20 games get 8 to 12k?

Last edited:

Fui!!!

Juniors
So you're comparing soccer internationals including countries like Brazil against NRL club games involving places like Parramatta.

Right.

Well... the initial statement was the SOCCER WC is bigger than the NRL or AFL

And someone said that it wasn't. When clearly it is.

The Dodger

First Grade
I assume he was a part of the Australian soccer team when they were a rabble of ethnic hacks who were considered fortunate to not get belted by Equitorial Guinea in a match.

lol
the majority of the australian team at present are "ethnic".

lol
the majority of the australian team at present are "ethnic".

Michael Beauchamp, Mark Bridge, Jacob Burns, Tim Cahill, Nick Carle, David Carney, Travis Dodd, Brett Emerton, Vince Grella, Adam Griffiths, Joel Griffiths, James Holland, Brett Holman, Josh Kennedy, Harry Kewell, Scott McDonald, Mark Milligan, Craig Moore, Kevin Muscat, Lucas Neill, Jade North, Archie Thompson, Topor-Stanley, Michael Thwaite, Luke Wilkshire.

Yep. Chock-full of dagoes

Last edited:

Gaba

First Grade
Well... the initial statement was the SOCCER WC is bigger than the NRL or AFL

And someone said that it wasn't. When clearly it is.
Then it wouldnt need rivals code to stop competing then if its that big, In Australia it would struggle to get crowds if other competitions are going on at the same time.

No one will be interested in games which involved weaker country against each other , and games not involving Austalia or the other stronger teams in it

so the soccer wc is not as big as you think why fiffa doesnt want other competitons to compete

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
dickhead. No ones trying to derail anything, we just want to make sure we get some fairness in return for having our season crippled.

Then it wouldnt need rivals code to stop competing then if its that big, In Australia it would struggle to get crowds if other competitions are going on at the same time.

No one will be interested in games which involved weaker country against each other , and games not involving Austalia or the other stronger teams in it

so the soccer wc is not as big as you think why fiffa doesnt want other competitons to compete

Gaba, we're all league heads on this forum but a lot of us like other sports too. I'll go to any WC game I'm lucky enough to get a ticket to.